The Student Room Group
University of York
York

History at York 2022

Hi,

I've got an offer for History/English at York and thought it might be nice to get to know some of the other applicants for History! (If you're an English applicant/offer-holder too, check out my other thread called English at York 2022)

Here's some icebreaker questions:

1. Which other universities have you applied to?
2. Why York?
3. What are your A-Level predicted/achieved grades?
4. What's your favourite historical era?
5. What's your favourite historical book?
6. Which college do you hope to go to at York?
Original post by hamlethoratio
Hi,

I've got an offer for History/English at York and thought it might be nice to get to know some of the other applicants for History! (If you're an English applicant/offer-holder too, check out my other thread called English at York 2022)

Here's some icebreaker questions:

1. Which other universities have you applied to?
2. Why York?
3. What are your A-Level predicted/achieved grades?
4. What's your favourite historical era?
5. What's your favourite historical book?
6. Which college do you hope to go to at York?

I'll start!
1. Oxford (rejected :frown:), Durham (haven't heard back), Nottingham (offer), Sheffield (offer)
2. So many reasons! I think the course looks absolutely amazing for my interests so that is good, the wellbeing support looks really great, very historical city, people seem nice, it's got a fantastic reputation
3. A*A*A*A*
4. mid Medieval-Tudor period
5. Sarah Bryson's "La Reine Blanche: Mary Tudor - A Life in Letters"
6. Goodricke!
University of York
York
I'll start!
1. Oxford (rejected :frown:), Durham (haven't heard back), Nottingham (offer), Sheffield (offer)
2. So many reasons! I think the course looks absolutely amazing for my interests so that is good, the wellbeing support looks really great, very historical city, people seem nice, it's got a fantastic reputation
3. A*A*A*A*
4. mid Medieval-Tudor period
5. Sarah Bryson's "La Reine Blanche: Mary Tudor - A Life in Letters"
6. Goodricke!

How long did york take to come back to you with an offer?
Original post by Anonymous
How long did york take to come back to you with an offer?

My school sent off my application on October 5th and I received an offer on 15th October! Because I applied for a joint degree though I think it took longer than others, but then the fact that I applied in October helped as it was obviously processed before the masses of applications came in. I wouldn’t worry about the dates at all.
My school sent off my application on October 5th and I received an offer on 15th October! Because I applied for a joint degree though I think it took longer than others, but then the fact that I applied in October helped as it was obviously processed before the masses of applications came in. I wouldn’t worry about the dates at all.

Okay thanks!
Reply 5
Hiya I’ve also applied to do English / history at York and I think I might firm it! I’m not sure what colleges to apply for, have you applied already?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nia58399
Hiya I’ve also applied to do English / history at York and I think I might firm it! I’m not sure what colleges to apply for, have you applied already?

Ooo that’s so cool! I haven’t actually firmed York as I’m waiting to hear back from Durham still! But on the York offer-holder’s day, they said there was some good accommodation info on the website but I think you have to put down quite a few choices for accommodation on the form! All of the colleges seem great tho so I wouldn’t worry :smile:
Reply 7
Ooo that’s so cool! I haven’t actually firmed York as I’m waiting to hear back from Durham still! But on the York offer-holder’s day, they said there was some good accommodation info on the website but I think you have to put down quite a few choices for accommodation on the form! All of the colleges seem great tho so I wouldn’t worry :smile:

Oh okay thank you, I’ll have a look on the website now! I’m not quite sure whether to go campus east or west - did you have a favourite when you went to visit? I hope Durham get back to you soon :smile:
Original post by nia58399
Oh okay thank you, I’ll have a look on the website now! I’m not quite sure whether to go campus east or west - did you have a favourite when you went to visit? I hope Durham get back to you soon :smile:

No problem! I think Campus West was better overall as it’s less isolated and connected to the other parts but I did really really like some of the colleges on Campus East so I think you’d be happy wherever! Aww thank you, I hope so too haha :smile:
1. Oxbridge rejected, offers from Lancaster, York,p & York St John , still waiting to hear from Durham (so withdrawn)
2. Love the city, very good travel links & loved the campus.
3. A* A* A A
4. Medieval to Modern European & USA, particularly conflict and women’s history
5. Don’t really have one TBH
6. Any on east campus really, but prefer Ann Lister & Constantine
Original post by Anonymous
1. Oxbridge rejected, offers from Lancaster, York,p & York St John , still waiting to hear from Durham (so withdrawn)
2. Love the city, very good travel links & loved the campus.
3. A* A* A A
4. Medieval to Modern European & USA, particularly conflict and women’s history
5. Don’t really have one TBH
6. Any on east campus really, but prefer Ann Lister & Constantine

Ooo I love women’s history too and I also applied to Durham but I’m still waiting haha. Are you thinking of firming York? I definitely will if Durham reject me :smile:
I’d waited so long for Durham to offer I decided to firm York

Quick Reply

Latest