The Student Room Group

What tablets actually work for period pain?

I've thought about calling my gp to stop my period completely because whenever I get period pain it's too much and it's getting worse each time and hot flushes makes it worse. I'm 29, if it's this bad now I'm dreading what it's going to be like as I get older but with my luck I know I'll have bad side effects and will probably gain a lot of weight from taking contraceptives so the best thing would be taking pain relief but im not sure what would work as I've never taken anything before with fear that I'll become reliant on them but I think I need to because taking a contraceptive isn't for me. I've tried drinking lots of water which helps but it can be slow to work, hot water bottles don't work, I can still feel the cramps so I don't bother with them anymore. Chocolate or hot chocolate helps a lot but I can't keep drinking those cos it would be too much sugar plus I like the milk one not instant. I'm decreasing diary intake recently cos I've had diarrhoea. I tried green tea today with honey which helped but it tasted nasty. I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I've thought about calling my gp to stop my period completely because whenever I get period pain it's too much and it's getting worse each time and hot flushes makes it worse. I'm 29, if it's this bad now I'm dreading what it's going to be like as I get older but with my luck I know I'll have bad side effects and will probably gain a lot of weight from taking contraceptives so the best thing would be taking pain relief but im not sure what would work as I've never taken anything before with fear that I'll become reliant on them but I think I need to because taking a contraceptive isn't for me. I've tried drinking lots of water which helps but it can be slow to work, hot water bottles don't work, I can still feel the cramps so I don't bother with them anymore. Chocolate or hot chocolate helps a lot but I can't keep drinking those cos it would be too much sugar plus I like the milk one not instant. I'm decreasing diary intake recently cos I've had diarrhoea. I tried green tea today with honey which helped but it tasted nasty. I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Hi

Best to talk to your GP on what options is best for you to use.
You do have the coil and the implant you can discuss with your GP about if you don't want the pill.
As long as you keep active etc then you should gain any weight ok.

Too much sugar can Lead to other health issues as well as weight gaining.
Think the diarrhoea is from too much chocolate like.

Usually it's paracetomal and ibuprofen you would take.

Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve), at regular doses starting the day before you expect your period to begin can help control the pain of cramps

I would suggest going and seeing your GP about things ok

I'm a registered midwife ok.
I will not argue with Tracey above as a midwife, but I use nurofen extra, two in the morning and two at night and they work fine
Original post by Angel in the sky
I will not argue with Tracey above as a midwife, but I use nurofen extra, two in the morning and two at night and they work fine

There are quite a few over the counters tablets she can try but best speaking to the pharmacist at likes of boots, Lloyds chemist rather than at a supermarket pharmacy.

Haha not to argue with me....😃😃
Original post by Tracey_W
There are quite a few over the counters tablets she can try but best speaking to the pharmacist at likes of boots, Lloyds chemist rather than at a supermarket pharmacy.

Haha not to argue with me....😃😃

Would not dream of arguing with a professional 🤔🤗
Would not dream of arguing with a professional 🤔🤗

That is absolutely true as nobody should do that but unfortunately you do get some on here especially doing exactly that as sometimes they think they are better than the professional.
That is absolutely true as nobody should do that but unfortunately you do get some on here especially doing exactly that as sometimes they think they are better than the professional.

Full respect for you x
Full respect for you x

That is appreciated from you ok x
Reply 8
Hi

Best to talk to your GP on what options is best for you to use.
You do have the coil and the implant you can discuss with your GP about if you don't want the pill.
As long as you keep active etc then you should gain any weight ok.

Too much sugar can Lead to other health issues as well as weight gaining.
Think the diarrhoea is from too much chocolate like.

Usually it's paracetomal and ibuprofen you would take.

Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve), at regular doses starting the day before you expect your period to begin can help control the pain of cramps

I would suggest going and seeing your GP about things ok

I'm a registered midwife ok.

I only have 1 cup of hot chocolate a day so it's not that or maybe it is cos it's a large cup. Also I had a takeaway with lots of jalapeños in and since that day I've had diarrhoea so it could be that.
If you want your periods to stop, the only way to do that is to take the contraceptive pill or another contraceptive (the combined pill gives the most control, but not everyone can take it, however quite a lot of people stop having periods altogether with the mini pill and other progesterone only methods). Your GP can also give you tablets that act as an anti-inflammatory and make your periods less heavy.

As for stuff over the counter, I usually take Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen with codeine), paracetamol and an antispasmodic (you can get Buscopan for periods cramps - it's not what I take but it's pretty similar). There are other things you can get over the counter - a pharmacist should be able to advise.
try Feminax Express, Ponstan, Mefenemic Acid
I believe Feminax is over counter but the other two my GP gave me and they worked well - plain ibuprofen or any of the above suggestions just neve worked for my as my cramps were strong and persistent.

You want a combination of the pills, hot water bottles, tea and rest
I don’t mean take all those pills at once obvs
try Feminax Express, Ponstan, Mefenemic Acid
I believe Feminax is over counter but the other two my GP gave me and they worked well - plain ibuprofen or any of the above suggestions just neve worked for my as my cramps were strong and persistent.

You want a combination of the pills, hot water bottles, tea and rest

Feminax express is ibuprofen. Ponstan and Mefenamic acid are the same thing.
If the pain is that bad maybe you should be seeing a professional to find out why. Before trying to control the pain wouldn't it be better to find out it's origin. If you haven't always had painful periods but they've been getting increasingly so,then there could be reasons for it, and hiding the pain might not be a long term solution.
Original post by Nobody2u
If the pain is that bad maybe you should be seeing a professional to find out why. Before trying to control the pain wouldn't it be better to find out it's origin. If you haven't always had painful periods but they've been getting increasingly so,then there could be reasons for it, and hiding the pain might not be a long term solution.

I've always had period pain but it wasn't that bad, I could handle it but since my mid twenties it started to get bad. Now it's the worst it's ever been. I want to talk to my go but il worried it could be something worse or they'll try to make me have the covid vaccine when I don't want it. Plus I wouldn't be able to afford the contraceptive if they said I had to pay for it so in that case they aren't likely to prescribe me anything.
*gp
I've always had period pain but it wasn't that bad, I could handle it but since my mid twenties it started to get bad. Now it's the worst it's ever been. I want to talk to my go but il worried it could be something worse or they'll try to make me have the covid vaccine when I don't want it. Plus I wouldn't be able to afford the contraceptive if they said I had to pay for it so in that case they aren't likely to prescribe me anything.

Contraception is free in the UK

Definitely speak to your GP - there is no need to suffer in silence these days. As well as the OTC analgesia, your doctor can prescribe different drugs such as mefenamic acid which can be used with great success.

Make a telephone appointment to speak to your GP :smile:
Original post by black tea
Contraception is free in the UK

Cool. I think I will call my gp. Will they ask me to come in? I'd rather not go in if they can just have a doctor call me and prescribe me something but I'll go in if I must. I get anxiety and my heart rate goes high which is why I've been putting off calling them and I'm worried about side effects like gaining weight. I've been thinking about this for a couple of months now just need to make the call. The sooner I do it, the sooner I will be rid of my period for good.
Original post by Reality Check
Definitely speak to your GP - there is no need to suffer in silence these days. As well as the OTC analgesia, your doctor can prescribe different drugs such as mefenamic acid which can be used with great success.

Make a telephone appointment to speak to your GP :smile:

Yeah I will, by the end of the week. Hopefully it won't be a pill option. I forgetful with things like that so it wouldn't work. Maybe the patch/implant or something similar that doesn't require me to take something orally.

Quick Reply

Latest