The Student Room Group

How can i learn to be more organised?

I have tried to-do lists, trying to make a timetable but I can't seem to become organized. does anyone have any tips?Thank you!
I reward my self after every task (for example if I wash the dishes I reward my self with a few sour sweets! )
Reply 2
Original post by iqra_xoxoxoxox
I reward my self after every task (for example if I wash the dishes I reward my self with a few sour sweets! )

ooh that is quite cool, so how do u plan out what tasks you do ?
hey so i am like recovering from a slump of procrastination
so what i did for in terms of revision is make a timetable and i sent it to my teacher and she basically checks with me everyday what i did and it kinda like scared me into revising and now i have a routine of revision
hopefully that helps
I don’t work well with weekly planners so I do daily ones at the end of each night I make a timetable of what I’m going to do and when - i do my hw from 3:40 till 4:00 then I relax till 5 and the I revise for 3 hours I typically revise the subjects I had on that day. And if I do all that then I reward my self with more sour sweets 😭🤌 hoped this helped !
Original post by starlit03
I have tried to-do lists, trying to make a timetable but I can't seem to become organized. does anyone have any tips?Thank you!

Hi there.
I never used a timetable through GCSEs or A levels due to the unpredictable nature of my other commitments. I personally went through the course specification/ program of study to ensure I had all the relevant notes taken down. Then did past papers in my free periods at college and added to my notes, via post it notes, with Qs I didn't answer well in the papers.

Best wishes for your studies.
I think the hardest thing is getting started. Say to yourself ‘only five minutes’ on what you’re avoiding and you will probably spend longer.

Prioritise your tasks.
Reply 7
ah

Original post by ponnu2021
hey so i am like recovering from a slump of procrastination
so what i did for in terms of revision is make a timetable and i sent it to my teacher and she basically checks with me everyday what i did and it kinda like scared me into revising and now i have a routine of revision
hopefully that helps

that is really good , so you have basically developed a habit then ! thank you !!!
Reply 8
Original post by iqra_xoxoxoxox
I don’t work well with weekly planners so I do daily ones at the end of each night I make a timetable of what I’m going to do and when - i do my hw from 3:40 till 4:00 then I relax till 5 and the I revise for 3 hours I typically revise the subjects I had on that day. And if I do all that then I reward my self with more sour sweets 😭🤌 hoped this helped !

ahh nice , lol i love the use of sour sweets haha
Reply 9
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.
I never used a timetable through GCSEs or A levels due to the unpredictable nature of my other commitments. I personally went through the course specification/ program of study to ensure I had all the relevant notes taken down. Then did past papers in my free periods at college and added to my notes, via post it notes, with Qs I didn't answer well in the papers.

Best wishes for your studies.

thanks a lot for you reply, so how did you keep track of everything, or did you do 1 job until it was done rather than starting multiple tasks?
Reply 10
i

Original post by sciencegcsesss
I think the hardest thing is getting started. Say to yourself ‘only five minutes’ on what you’re avoiding and you will probably spend longer.

Prioritise your tasks.

see thanks i think i will implement that !
thanks a lot for you reply, so how did you keep track of everything, or did you do 1 job until it was done rather than starting multiple tasks?

One task at a time per subject although for french I had to divide it into 3 skills ( vocab, speaking and essays) I prioritised topics which I was weak on and gave those the most time and commitment. I aimed to know something about every topic on the course that way I didn't risk dropping lots of marks on a big Q I had no idea on.

If you do chemistry A level, I'd be happy to help.
Otherwise best wishes for your studying.

Strict timetables don't always work for everyone - they never worked for me, whether in high school or uni. In that case, flexibility and smart juggling is key - being able to jump from one subject/task to another, getting one task from 20% to 40% complete, then getting another from 80% to 90% complete, and so forth. Also figuring out ways to maximise your time wisely - e.g. getting simple chores sorted while taking a study break, reflecting on what you have learned while you're out on a walk.

The to-do lists can be helpful for reminding yourself of key deadlines and 'big goals' - e.g. understand part A of this subject by the end of X month. If you can stick to these big goals you'll learn how to prioritise everything else along the way.

Quick Reply