The Student Room Group

Seneca learning

Do you think Using Seneca for revising alevel geography content is enough? And then practice papers or is a range of resources needed.
Bumpp
I don't do A-level geography but Seneca is not going to be anywhere near enough for any A-level.. use it alongside other resources
Original post by summerbirdreads
I don't do A-level geography but Seneca is not going to be anywhere near enough for any A-level.. use it alongside other resources

Honestly I’ve tried flashcards, mindmaps, blurting I just feel so stuck and as if I’m not getting anywhere my revision is completely inconsistent. Alevel requires constant work and my exams tomorow so at this point I think Seneca is the best option lol
Original post by mystudentlife
Honestly I’ve tried flashcards, mindmaps, blurting I just feel so stuck and as if I’m not getting anywhere my revision is completely inconsistent. Alevel requires constant work and my exams tomorow so at this point I think Seneca is the best option lol

Well, if your exams are tomorrow then do whatever you fancy....
But what resources did you use to create flashcards and mindmap? just textbook/revision guides?
Well, if your exams are tomorrow then do whatever you fancy....
But what resources did you use to create flashcards and mindmap? just textbook/revision guides?

Various websites, revision guides, my notes from class. Sometimes YouTube. Also this post was made yesterday so I was kinda hoping for advice for the time between then and tomorow but Idk feel so lost
(edited 2 years ago)
IMO, any type of A-level requires more work than just Seneca. I think what’s happening here is that your brain is essentially tricking you into thinking that Seneca is the optimal method, simply because it’s easy to use and requires little effort. The methods you’ve stated above needs a lot of effort, hence why your brain would try and avoid doing those.
Original post by 0ptics
IMO, any type of A-level requires more work than just Seneca. I think what’s happening here is that your brain is essentially tricking you into thinking that Seneca is the optimal method, simply because it’s easy to use and requires little effort. The methods you’ve stated above needs a lot of effort, hence why your brain would try and avoid doing those.

Your right tbh, people refer to it as active recall but like it’s not really it baso gives the answers. I’ve not been inconsistent as in revising once a week but my methods r never the same and it’s difficult to find something that works for me lol so now I’m stuck with what to do
Various websites, revision guides, my notes from class. Sometimes YouTube. Also this post was made yesterday so I was kinda hoping for advice for the time between then and tomorow but Idk feel so lost

What are you struggling with then? do you put too much information on your flashcards? I used to do that, so making flashcards were very tiring and tedious for me but then I stopped doing that and only adding the necessary info and my life got better.
What are you struggling with then? do you put too much information on your flashcards? I used to do that, so making flashcards were very tiring and tedious for me but then I stopped doing that and only adding the necessary info and my life got better.

I started in year 12 with notes, moved onto flashcards. Once I’ve made them I just kinda don’t like looking at them. Writing them is useful but using them is not so much . I used to write lots but now I try to stick to 2/3 points per card
I started in year 12 with notes, moved onto flashcards. Once I’ve made them I just kinda don’t like looking at them. Writing them is useful but using them is not so much . I used to write lots but now I try to stick to 2/3 points per card

You don't use them? then what is the point? you're just wasting time
You don't use them? then what is the point? you're just wasting time

Because writing the info out helps. Also this was a while back when I was testing methods which I still qm. Ik u might think rewriting is wha I shud do but I realistically can’t do that for each topic in time of the exam lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Because writing the info out helps. Also this was a while back when I was testing methods which I still qm

How many lines are the 2/3 points?
How many lines are the 2/3 points?

I try to do point per line w gaps in betweeen each, lookin at a chunk of writing isn’t helpful for me lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Your right tbh, people refer to it as active recall but like it’s not really it baso gives the answers. I’ve not been inconsistent as in revising once a week but my methods r never the same and it’s difficult to find something that works for me lol so now I’m stuck with what to do

You experiment more and find out what works for you. If Seneca works for you (and it could since we’re all different), base your revision on Seneca. However, you would probably have to risk a key assessment (or even the final exams) to see if Seneca really works and that could be risky.

When you say that those methods don’t work, what exactly about it doesn’t work? If it’s being consistent, there’s a chance that it does work but you’re actually inclined to utilise it less due to it being harder (I’ve been there, and I’m still there, but we can only improve with practice). If there’s another issue, then maybe alter the revision methods you use.
(edited 2 years ago)
I try to do point per line w gaps in betweeen each, lookin at a chunk of writing isn’t helpful for me lol

Try making concise flashcards and go through them by applying active recall but if it isn't working, don't.
Original post by 0ptics
You experiment more and find out what works for you. If Seneca works for you (and it could since we’re all different), base your revision on Seneca. However, you would probably have to risk a key assessment (or even the final exams) to see if Seneca really works and that could be risky.

When you say that those methods don’t work, what exactly about it doesn’t work? If it’s being consistent, there’s a chance that it does work but you’re actually inclined to utilise it less due to it being harder (I’ve been there, and I’m still there, but we can only improve with practice). If there’s another issue, then maybe alter the revision methods you use.

They don’t work as in I don’t remember the key information. Thanks for your advice. I will defo take that into account!!
They don’t work as in I don’t remember the key information.

Are you sure it’s the actual revision method that’s not working as opposed to just you being inconsistent and inefficient with using said method? Don’t get me wrong, doing flash cards, mind maps etc. is harder and more complex than people would want to admit. Either way, if Seneca works for you, go for it.
Original post by 0ptics
Are you sure it’s the actual revision method that’s not working as opposed to just you being inconsistent and inefficient with using said method? Don’t get me wrong, doing flash cards, mind maps etc. is harder and more complex than people would want to admit. Either way, if Seneca works for you, go for it.

I think you may be right, Imma try to work after these mocks on finding set revision techniques and maybe making routine recall rather than random.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending