The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL 2022 Management Science BSc - Applicants thread

I realised that there is no thread for UCL Management Science 2022 applicants yet. I am a foreign student applying for the course. Let's talk about it! Has anyone received offers yet?

Scroll to see replies

Nope, I applied a couple of weeks ago but still havent heard anything back yet. Can I ask what your grades are ?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Anonymous
Nope, I applied a couple of weeks ago but still havent heard anything back yet. Can I ask what your grades are ?

I didn't receive an offer/rejection yet, but I had to fill an "additional personal statement" back in late October. What about you? I am not sure about my grades because I don't live in the UK, but according to equivalences I have A*A*A
Original post by pierredumay
I didn't receive an offer/rejection yet, but I had to fill an "additional personal statement" back in late October. What about you? I am not sure about my grades because I don't live in the UK, but according to equivalences I have A*A*A

Oh really, I still haven't gotten the additional personal statement yet. what was it?

Im also an international student, Im doing IB. What subjects are u studying?
Hi! I am a home student. Applied with A*A*A predictions plus an EPQ in October. I submitted my additional PS in Nov. Haven't heard anything as yet.
Management Science is an oxymoron by itself :biggrin: It kind of looks like a degree from a degree mill, degree has a generic non content but it has the word "London" in its' issuers name. This must be very popular between students from 3world countries.
I applied at the end of november and haven't recieved the additional PS, how long did it take them to send it to u?
I applied at the end of november and haven't recieved the additional PS, how long did it take them to send it to u?

Less than a month for me! Hopefully you hear a response from them soon! 😁
2 Weeks for me! I hope you hear back from them soon
Reply 9
Original post by ElderlyMedic
Management Science is an oxymoron by itself :biggrin: It kind of looks like a degree from a degree mill, degree has a generic non content but it has the word "London" in its' issuers name. This must be very popular between students from 3world countries.

Hey. I don’t really understand what you mean. How is it an oxymoron? MS is a management course that mainly focuses on data & maths. It is indeed unique in the UK, but it makes sense imo
Hey. I don’t really understand what you mean. How is it an oxymoron? MS is a management course that mainly focuses on data & maths. It is indeed unique in the UK, but it makes sense imo

It's a gimmick as every single management course ever. Also, math heavy courses aren't really any good either, unless you plan to teach it in a high school or develop printer drivers you won't use it at all.
Degree in obscure algebra and management theory from 1970' isn't going to help you much. I used to lots of ML, mostly vision, you would assume that would be heavy on math, right? Nope, never touched it in 5 years. You just some some level of intuition. Very few people use math. To learn to work with datasets you just need Kaggle and YouTube.
That degree is a snake oil.
It's a gimmick as every single management course ever. Also, math hWheavy courses aren't really any good either, unless you plan to teach it in a high school or develop printer drivers you won't use it at all.
Degree in obscure algebra and management theory from 1970' isn't going to help you much. I used to lots of ML, mostly vision, you would assume that would be heavy on math, right? Nope, never touched it in 5 years. You just some some level of intuition. Very few people use math. To learn to work with datasets you just need Kaggle and YouTube.
That degree is a snake oil.

What do you think about Economics and Management then, like in King's?
What do you think about Economics and Management then, like in King's?

There are no positions requiring degree in Economics and/or Management. You should have idea what you want to do for living and if an unrelated no usable skills degree is the way to get there.
Lots of people around here hope in graduate schemes in large companies and banks. Competition is grad schemes is way worse than when it comes to Oxbridge. Easily over 1000 candidates per role, often way more. Other common option for grads from humanities, arts, etc. is Civil Service where for bellow the average salary you will tending junkies in JobCentre or spend your time by inspecting public toilets. You would be surprised by how many uber drivers and fast food staff got degrees.

The only upside of BS degree is that you wont be making enough money for Student Loan repayments to kick in.
There are no positions requiring degree in Economics and/or Management. You should have idea what you want to do for living and if an unrelated no usable skills degree is the way to get there.
Lots of people around here hope in graduate schemes in large companies and banks. Competition is grad schemes is way worse than when it comes to Oxbridge. Easily over 1000 candidates per role, often way more. Other common option for grads from humanities, arts, etc. is Civil Service where for bellow the average salary you will tending junkies in JobCentre or spend your time by inspecting public toilets. You would be surprised by how many uber drivers and fast food staff got degrees.

The only upside of BS degree is that you wont be making enough money for Student Loan repayments to kick in.

What degree do you recommend then
Reply 14

clown.
Reply 15
Original post by pierredumay

What do they ask in the additional statement? Also did you write your original statement focusing on management science or on something else?
Reply 16

Do you know if they ask everyone for an additional p.s or only the applicants they're considering?
Original post by huza21
What do they ask in the additional statement? Also did you write your original statement focusing on management science or on something else?

I guess the APS is asked because applicants do not focus enough on the subject (a data & tech-driven environment) in their PS. It was certainly my case, as there is no such course as Management Science in other universities. I couldn't focus my PS on this particular course.
Reply 18
I guess the APS is asked because applicants do not focus enough on the subject (a data & tech-driven environment) in their PS. It was certainly my case, as there is no such course as Management Science in other universities. I couldn't focus my PS on this particular course.

Hi, I think u misread what i wrote lol. I meant what do they ask for in the APS (I heard its a series of questions).
Yep i haad the same issue, what did you apply for elsewhere?
Original post by huza21
Hi, I think u misread what i wrote lol. I meant what do they ask for in the APS (I heard its a series of questions).
Yep i haad the same issue, what did you apply for elsewhere?

Indeed I replied only to half of your question lol. The APS is indeed a series of questions focusing on data, tech, and companies. Don't know if everyone has the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending