The Student Room Group

Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the

Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the relevant enzymes (2)

I dont understand what this question is asking
someone please help
Original post by zarahh09
Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the relevant enzymes (2)

I dont understand what this question is asking
someone please help

Ok, whats hydrolysis, phosphorylation, the enzymes involved in phosphorylation and hydrolysis of ATP?
Reply 2
Original post by chris01928
Ok, whats hydrolysis, phosphorylation, the enzymes involved in phosphorylation and hydrolysis of ATP?

is it just asking for this: ATP+H2O→ADP+Pi ?
is it just asking for this: ATP+H2O→ADP+Pi ?

Thats the hydrolysis. Hydro(water)lysis(splitting). What enzyme is involved in this?

What is phosphorylation then, taking the hydrolysis equation into account?
Reply 4
Thats the hydrolysis. Hydro(water)lysis(splitting). What enzyme is involved in this?

What is phosphorylation then, taking the hydrolysis equation into account?

where an enzyme causes a substrate molecule to gain a phosphate group from ATP?
where an enzyme causes a substrate molecule to gain a phosphate group from ATP?

Ok for the hydrolysis, the enzyme isn't gaining a phosphate group (think about the definition of an enzyme) what the enzyme for the hydrolysis is splitting ATP, this about the suffix of enzymes and what the enzyme is acting on and smash the two words together
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Ok for the hydrolysis, the enzyme isn't gaining a phosphate group (think about the definition of an enzyme) what the enzyme for the hydrolysis is splitting ATP, this about the suffix of enzymes and what the enzyme is acting on and smash the two words together

For the question do i need to give an equation?
I am a bit confused
For the question do i need to give an equation?
I am a bit confused

Yes and the enzymes, so you have the hydrolysis equation as stated above, from what I have said above, what enzyme do you think is involved in the hydrolysis?
Reply 8
Yes and the enzymes, so you have the hydrolysis equation as stated above, from what I have said above, what enzyme do you think is involved in the hydrolysis?

protease?
protease?

You're along the right lines so the 'prote' prefix is for proteins, what prefix do you think it will be for ATP?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
You're along the right lines so the 'prote' prefix is for proteins, what prefix do you think it will be for ATP?

ADP?
ADP?

Ok, ill give you the answer, and you explain to me why it is named as such. The enzyme involved in the hydrolysis of ATP is ATPase.

Why is it called ATPase?
Reply 12
Ok, ill give you the answer, and you explain to me why it is named as such. The enzyme involved in the hydrolysis of ATP is ATPase.

Why is it called ATPase?

We haven't learnt that yet
Probably because this is prep work for when we go back
We haven't learnt that yet
Probably because this is prep work for when we go back

Back and forth on a topic for 40 mins on soenrhing you dont need to know...
Reply 14
Back and forth on a topic for 40 mins on soenrhing you dont need to know...

No I do need to know
Im just confused on what its asking me
No I do need to know
Im just confused on what its asking me

Ive explained the question and if you have never heard about a component of the answer then ypu have not lesent it yet, look it up if you want to know more about it.

Quick Reply

Latest