The Student Room Group

Should I learn to drive - 2021???

Poll

Should I learn to drive - 2021???

I am 17 and I dont know whether or not I should learn to drive.
My reason is that running a car is expensive and with electric cars, even more so.
Should I learn or not?

Scroll to see replies

If I were you, I would
Original post by tedibare
If I were you, I would

Okay why?
I's say no, as you don't mention any real desire or reason to drive worth spending £1500 odd on lessons and tests even before the expense of the car, insurance, tax, MOT, fuel etc....

2021/22 are terrible times to learn imo... restrictions, huge test backlogs, hard to find available instructors and prices are way up. If you have no pressing need to drive, I'd wait.
Original post by StriderHort
I's say no, as you don't mention any real desire or reason to drive worth spending £1500 odd on lessons and tests even before the expense of the car, insurance, tax, MOT, fuel etc....

2021/22 are terrible times to learn imo... restrictions, huge test backlogs, hard to find available instructors and prices are way up. If you have no pressing need to drive, I'd wait.

I am planning to anyway maybe until next year if I take a gap year - do yout think the backlog will be gone by then?
If I don't I will wait until after uni probably - so 3 years time :smile:
I may learn during uni but planning to move away from home so it will be awkward as well as this I am planning to do a course that requires placement that will be up to 8 weeks long.
Original post by sunsetlover321
My reason is that running a car is expensive and with electric cars, even more so.
Should I learn or not?

Electric cars are cheaper to run, just adding that here. Only issue is they're quite expensive to purchase.

I'd say you should, incase of an issue further on in your life where your job is affected and then you're forced to do uber for example.
Should I learn or not?

I'd say learn as driving is a life skill and you never know when it'll come in handy. You don't need to have your own car to be a learner driver.
Definitely do it! I was forced to practice literally the day after my 17th but I really didn’t care and ended up quitting it. I’m 19 now and seriously need to drive, I wish I’d done it younger! The pandemic has delayed everything and I finally have my test next month! So just go for it because it’s going to take time under the current climate anyway!
Original post by Dentaldreams
Definitely do it! I was forced to practice literally the day after my 17th but I really didn’t care and ended up quitting it. I’m 19 now and seriously need to drive, I wish I’d done it younger! The pandemic has delayed everything and I finally have my test next month! So just go for it because it’s going to take time under the current climate anyway!

Good luck for that driving test!
Any tips for driving would be much appreciated.
Original post by TriplexA
Good luck for that driving test!
Any tips for driving would be much appreciated.

Thank you🤞
My advice would be to get your theory test done early, that way you can book your practical test sooner, I’m saying this because of the current delays of course. One thing you should never do is take gaps between practice because it just takes you back to square one! So practice regularly. What are doing manual or automatic?
Original post by Dentaldreams
Thank you🤞
My advice would be to get your theory test done early, that way you can book your practical test sooner, I’m saying this because of the current delays of course. One thing you should never do is take gaps between practice because it just takes you back to square one! So practice regularly. What are doing manual or automatic?

I'm doing manual. I did my theory in December last year. And yes big gaps don't help confidence either!!
I'm doing manual. I did my theory in December last year. And yes big gaps don't help confidence either!!

Well looks like you’re doing alright then!
I’m doing automatic and I only did my theory in June this year. I booked my test back then, so I literally can’t wait. Have you booked yours?
I've only just resumed driving so am slowly building my confidence. I haven't booked yet, even though I'm 19, as I've only really had 2 lessons and practice.
I did consider automatic during my gap though - what's it like and how many lessons have you had?

So I did manual first but I was always stalling and then I had an awful encounter so I literally ran from it. Automatic is much better, no fear of stalling, just driving smoothly, it gives you time to assess everything around you, your mirrors, positioning etc. I started automatic in April and I’ve definitely had around 30 lessons, which doesn’t seem like a lot but I’ve got the hang of it. I’ve booked a two hour lesson everyday from tomorrow up until my test though! It’s literally just practice. My Instructer always says driving isn’t hard, it’s the test that is. So as long as you’re test ready you’re set to go.
Should I learn or not?

The longer you leave it, longer it will take. Currently at your fastest pace 8 months.
Original post by StriderHort
huge test backlogs

This can't be understated. I learned in the West Midlands, but every test centre within any sort of reasonable distance as far as Bristol or Newcastle was booked solid. Found a test slot in Plymouth, but all the instructors down there were booked up. Eventually ended up in the West Highlands, which was an over £500 experience with a 10 hour instructor booking, hotel, food, and whatnot. Not to mention the 26 hour travel time with the coach, train, waiting around everywhere for connections, a rail replacement bus, etc.

... Passed with 6 minors. I would've cried for real.

OP: do it now and sit on the pink card. You'll be surprised to see how many jobs will ask you to have a manual driver's license.
Original post by DieselGainz
This can't be understated. I learned in the West Midlands, but every test centre within any sort of reasonable distance as far as Bristol or Newcastle was booked solid. Found a test slot in Plymouth, but all the instructors down there were booked up. Eventually ended up in the West Highlands, which was an over £500 experience with a 10 hour instructor booking, hotel, food, and whatnot. Not to mention the 26 hour travel time with the coach, train, waiting around everywhere for connections, a rail replacement bus, etc.

... Passed with 6 minors. I would've cried for real.

OP: do it now and sit on the pink card. You'll be surprised to see how many jobs will ask you to have a manual driver's license.

I might learn to drive but am going to uni so idk really...
I might learn to drive but am going to uni so idk really...

Try to learn before uni as you'll find it more difficult to get a job without a licence. You don't have to get a car though - see if your parents will add you to their insurance. Then just drive when you are home.
Original post by Muttley79
Try to learn before uni as you'll find it more difficult to get a job without a licence. You don't have to get a car though - see if your parents will add you to their insurance. Then just drive when you are home.

Going next year and I do not have the money - no job at the minute
Is it normal to not have a job while at sixth form? :frown:
Going next year and I do not have the money - no job at the minute
Is it normal to not have a job while at sixth form? :frown:

Yes many students don't have a job but ask for money for driving lessons for birthday/Christmas.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes many students don't have a job but ask for money for driving lessons for birthday/Christmas.

I have asked my parents but they are not in a financial situation to provide driving lessons
I have got some money from birthdays / christmas so I might use that
I am thinking about concerntrating on my a levels so I can go to uni then learning to drive while at uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending