The Student Room Group

Postgraduate studies in Public Policy

Hello - just starting a chill thread to see if there are others out there who are interested in applying/or have already applied to postgraduate studies in Public Policy. :smile:

Additionally, if there are others currently doing postgraduate studies in this field, feel free to share some of your experiences. Are you loving it? Has it been the experience you have envisioned it to be?

I am incredibly fortunate to have offers from Cambridge's MPhil in Public Policy.

EDIT: also have an offer from Oxford's MPP (BSG).

Of course, funding is going to be an important consideration, so I'm doing everything I can to explore all my domestic options too (international applicant here, I'm not super optimistic that I'd be able to jostle/Hunger Games my way through some of the big-name scholarships - everyone's just far too brilliant). I'm hoping that my poor referees won't be getting sick of me any time soon :redface: the whole process really feels like a drawn out one.

There might already be other postgraduate Public Policy threads out there, but thought I'd start one anyway. Looking forward to everyone's replies.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Thanks for making this thread, I haven't seen any others like it yet :smile: I'm applying for the Cambridge MPP as well, huge congratulations on getting an offer already! I've looked through a few student profiles on Linkedin and they're all such high quality I'm a bit intimidated. I currently work in a totally policy-unrelated field (consulting/private sector, will have 3 years experience by 2022 entry) but have always been interested in working in government & policy research. Do you mind sharing your academic/career background in a PM? :smile:
Original post by forestnymph7
Hello! Thanks for making this thread, I haven't seen any others like it yet :smile: I'm applying for the Cambridge MPP as well, huge congratulations on getting an offer already! I've looked through a few student profiles on Linkedin and they're all such high quality I'm a bit intimidated. I currently work in a totally policy-unrelated field (consulting/private sector, will have 3 years experience by 2022 entry) but have always been interested in working in government & policy research. Do you mind sharing your academic/career background in a PM? :smile:

I'm so pleased to see another fellow MPP applicant - and just someone who is interested in government/policy in general! I feel you on the intimidation part as I also did have a sneaky peek at some student profiles, which gave me a dose of unhealthy anxiety. :redface: I'll send you a PM soon but please don't take my background as a benchmark - the MPP course does take applicants of different backgrounds, after all.
Original post by journeyaway
I'm so pleased to see another fellow MPP applicant - and just someone who is interested in government/policy in general! I feel you on the intimidation part as I also did have a sneaky peek at some student profiles, which gave me a dose of unhealthy anxiety. :redface: I'll send you a PM soon but please don't take my background as a benchmark - the MPP course does take applicants of different backgrounds, after all.

I feel you on the anxiety :P You're right about the different backgrounds, though one thing all the students have in common is they excelled in them!! Was Cambridge your top choice for the program?
Original post by forestnymph7
I feel you on the anxiety :P You're right about the different backgrounds, though one thing all the students have in common is they excelled in them!! Was Cambridge your top choice for the program?

Cambridge, along with Oxford, are both my top choices - although Oxford's MPP is far more expensive, so that's an important consideration. :redface: I had also initially intended to apply to King's College London and UCL. What about you - is Cambridge your top choice?
Reply 5
Hi guys! Great to see this thread! I'm applying for the Oxford MPP too. Also a bit anxious but I really like the structure of the course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by faba0022
Hi guys! Great to see this thread! I'm applying for the Oxford MPP too. Also a bit anxious but I really like the structure of the course.

Amazing, are there other public policy Masters that you're applying for? :smile:
Reply 7
Amazing, are there other public policy Masters that you're applying for? :smile:

I haven't really considered applying to others, but still contemplating applying to the Cambridge MPP. Huge congrats on your offer from Cambridge, amazing!
I'm still finalizing my application and will submit in the next two days.
I haven't really considered applying to others, but still contemplating applying to the Cambridge MPP. Huge congrats on your offer from Cambridge, amazing!
I'm still finalizing my application and will submit in the next two days.

Thank you so much :smile:

How's the finalizing of your application going? The Oxford MPP application process feels really rigorous eh, definitely had to wrack my brains for the 400 word public service question. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Thank you so much :smile:

How's the finalizing of your application going? The Oxford MPP application process feels really rigorous eh, definitely had to wrack my brains for the 400 word public service question. :s-smilie:

I know right?! It's taken me months to finalize things and I still feel so under-prepared and not so sure! It's hard to guess what exactly it is that they're looking for.
I know right?! It's taken me months to finalize things and I still feel so under-prepared and not so sure! It's hard to guess what exactly it is that they're looking for.

I hear you. It took me three months before I submitted my applications. The first few weeks were hell, just by trying to scope out potential topics for the 1,500 word piece (plus I occasionally fell into the temptation to procrastinate - alas).

Out of curiosity, do you have some policy or public service experience? Past year threads get me nervous because everyone seems to have bucketfuls of public service experience, have founded their organisations, fundraised their way to greatness, etc etc...
I hear you. It took me three months before I submitted my applications. The first few weeks were hell, just by trying to scope out potential topics for the 1,500 word piece (plus I occasionally fell into the temptation to procrastinate - alas).

Out of curiosity, do you have some policy or public service experience? Past year threads get me nervous because everyone seems to have bucketfuls of public service experience, have founded their organisations, fundraised their way to greatness, etc etc...

My field is public health and I have some experience in organizing some public health activities but that's about it. I have worked with the UN on some policy support things but that's been very recent too. I have the same anxiety, I certainly don't have experience founding organizations, or anything great by any means!!!!!!!! What's your background if you don't mind me asking.
My field is public health and I have some experience in organizing some public health activities but that's about it. I have worked with the UN on some policy support things but that's been very recent too. I have the same anxiety, I certainly don't have experience founding organizations, or anything great by any means!!!!!!!! What's your background if you don't mind me asking.

You have done some cool work. Having UN exposure is great on the CV, even if recent. Go you!

I started out as a lawyer in a big firm, then switched to policy for a law enforcement agency. Criminal justice/policing are my main areas of interest. I'm international - so not UK based.
Hello - just starting a chill thread to see if there are others out there who are interested in applying/or have already applied to postgraduate studies in Public Policy. :smile:

Additionally, if there are others currently doing postgraduate studies in this field, feel free to share some of your experiences. Are you loving it? Has it been the experience you have envisioned it to be?

I am incredibly fortunate to have an offer from Cambridge's MPhil in Public Policy, and am now waiting on the results from Oxford's MPP - BSG has been clear that they only make offers in March 2022.

Of course, funding is going to be an important consideration, so I'm doing everything I can to explore all my domestic options too (international applicant here, I'm not super optimistic that I'd be able to jostle/Hunger Games my way through some of the big-name scholarships - everyone's just far too brilliant). I'm hoping that my poor referees won't be getting sick of me any time soon :redface: the whole process really feels like a drawn out one.

There might already be other postgraduate Public Policy threads out there, but thought I'd start one anyway. Looking forward to everyone's replies.

Hi! another Public Policy applicant here. recently submitted my application to both universities as well. Congrats on your cambridge offer! Wondering how long did it take before a decision was made?
Another MPP applicant here! I've submitted my application to Oxford. Can empathise with those above, it was a pain so I'm glad that's over.

Currently debating between UCL's INNOVATION, PUBLIC POLICY AND PUBLIC VALUE MPA & their MSc Environment, Politics & Society. Also looking at Bristol's MSc in Public Policy.

Anyone else looked at these courses before? Any other unis you've looked at for the MPP?
Original post by jothisdown
Hi! another Public Policy applicant here. recently submitted my application to both universities as well. Congrats on your cambridge offer! Wondering how long did it take before a decision was made?

Hey there - thank you! For Cambridge, I submitted my application at the end of September - and moved to PAO exactly one month after. Then it took another 3 weeks for the official offer to come through. Hope this helps - when did you submit your applications?
Original post by shetries
Another MPP applicant here! I've submitted my application to Oxford. Can empathise with those above, it was a pain so I'm glad that's over.

Currently debating between UCL's INNOVATION, PUBLIC POLICY AND PUBLIC VALUE MPA & their MSc Environment, Politics & Society. Also looking at Bristol's MSc in Public Policy.

Anyone else looked at these courses before? Any other unis you've looked at for the MPP?

Hello, hello! Have you submitted your applications in for UCL and Bristol yet? UCL also has a MSc in Public Policy - was there a reason why you haven't included this in your list of courses to consider?
Hey there - thank you! For Cambridge, I submitted my application at the end of September - and moved to PAO exactly one month after. Then it took another 3 weeks for the official offer to come through. Hope this helps - when did you submit your applications?

a little over 2 weeks ago. much later than you did. I really do hope that late submission doesn't affect my chances!
Original post by jothisdown
a little over 2 weeks ago. much later than you did. I really do hope that late submission doesn't affect my chances!

Surely not - plenty of people would be submitting around this time. The only thing is that with Christmas and New Years there may be a longer wait. Fingers crossed for you, how cool would it be if we ended up being course mates!
Reply 19
Happy to see this thread. I also have an offer from Cambridge MPP. I am yet to submit my Oxford application but will do that in the next couple of days. Now waiting for and hoping a scholarship comes through. Cambridge was my second choice, Oxford is my first but I am falling more in love with Cambridge everyday. Have you received admission from any college?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending