The Student Room Group

I moving to the US when I am in year 11. Should I join Freshman or Sophomore year?

I am 14 and in year 10 in the UK, but I am moving to the US the summer before next school year (year 11). I know that the US equivalent of year 11 is Sophomore year, but my parents are thinking of putting me in Freshman year. The reason for this is because I skipped a year and technically will be the age of a Freshman, not a Sophomore by the time of next year. I am perfectly capable of the work in UK year 10, do you think that I will be okay if I go straight to Sophomore year or should I go to Freshman year? I know that US high school is harder than UK school, what are your thoughts? Do you think I will be okay? Will I be disadvantaged when it comes to college application?
I don't think US high school is harder than the UK, just different (if anything I'd argue the content might be a little easier, but the way it's assessed makes it harder to get good results - you're often more assessed on how well you can take particular types of test, rather than how well you know the material).

Since you're of that age I'd probably suggest going in as a freshman for two reasons as a result:

a) it's a totally different education system, so it will give you some time to adjust to the new style and format of teaching and learning there. The material will probably be fairly accessible or even easy for you regardless of which year you go into, but getting used to the multiple choice standardized testing format will take some getting used to (as will being graded on weekly assignments/quizzes/etc rather than mainly a final exam as in the UK).

b) socially, it might be easier to integrate into the new freshman class than joining an existing sophomore cohort. This in turn may help you adjust to the academic side of things by making the social side slightly less daunting.

It won't matter whichever one you go into when you apply to colleges, unless you do worse in the end as a result of your choice (which would disadvantage you). Another reason to go with freshman rather than sophomore imo.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't think US high school is harder than the UK, just different (if anything I'd argue the content might be a little easier, but the way it's assessed makes it harder to get good results - you're often more assessed on how well you can take particular types of test, rather than how well you know the material).

Since you're of that age I'd probably suggest going in as a freshman for two reasons as a result:

a) it's a totally different education system, so it will give you some time to adjust to the new style and format of teaching and learning there. The material will probably be fairly accessible or even easy for you regardless of which year you go into, but getting used to the multiple choice standardized testing format will take some getting used to (as will being graded on weekly assignments/quizzes/etc rather than mainly a final exam as in the UK).

b) socially, it might be easier to integrate into the new freshman class than joining an existing sophomore cohort. This in turn may help you adjust to the academic side of things by making the social side slightly less daunting.

It won't matter whichever one you go into when you apply to colleges, unless you do worse in the end as a result of your choice (which would disadvantage you). Another reason to go with freshman rather than sophomore imo.

thanks so much!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I am 14 and in year 10 in the UK, but I am moving to the US the summer before next school year (year 11). I know that the US equivalent of year 11 is Sophomore year, but my parents are thinking of putting me in Freshman year. The reason for this is because I skipped a year and technically will be the age of a Freshman, not a Sophomore by the time of next year. I am perfectly capable of the work in UK year 10, do you think that I will be okay if I go straight to Sophomore year or should I go to Freshman year? I know that US high school is harder than UK school, what are your thoughts? Do you think I will be okay? Will I be disadvantaged when it comes to college application?

I think you should go for Sophomore year over Freshman year. It sounds to me like you are a very capable individual and I am sure you will succeed in Sophomore year (provided you put the effort in).

It also depends on how important it is to you to finish your education ASAP. If you do not mind taking another year to finish your education before venturing into the world of work, then I agree with what @artful_lounger said and I believe you should go for Freshman year.

However, if you want to finish School ASAP so you can get into your dream career, then I strongly suggest for you to go for Sophomore year. It may be a little more challenging but I am confident you will do just fine. Remember, it doesn't hurt to get a step ahead in your education if you can.
Reply 4
Original post by zyd_zz
I think you should go for Sophomore year over Freshman year. It sounds to me like you are a very capable individual and I am sure you will succeed in Sophomore year (provided you put the effort in).

It also depends on how important it is to you to finish your education ASAP. If you do not mind taking another year to finish your education before venturing into the world of work, then I agree with what @artful_lounger said and I believe you should go for Freshman year.

However, if you want to finish School ASAP so you can get into your dream career, then I strongly suggest for you to go for Sophomore year. It may be a little more challenging but I am confident you will do just fine. Remember, it doesn't hurt to get a step ahead in your education if you can.

Yeah, I personally don't mind finishing high school a year earlier, and I think I will be able to manage the content. My main concern is that I will be introduced to a new system that will take time getting used to and obviously making friends, similar to what @artful_lounger expressed.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I personally don't mind finishing high school a year earlier, and I think I will be able to manage the content. My main concern is that I will be introduced to a new system that will take time getting used to and obviously making friends, similar to what @artful_lounger expressed.

I agree with @artful_lounger, with the only real concern being that you may find freshman year too easy in terms of the work.

It would definitely be better for you in terms of adjusting to the system and adjusting socially, though.
My son went in as a sophomore. Probably found it a little trickier to adjust to high school than my daughter found when she came up with her peers from middle school. It is a very different vibe. A lot depends on the school district you're going into. PM me if you want a more detailed conversation.

Quick Reply