The Student Room Group

Prue Leith Says She ‘Doesn’t Know Why’ She Made ‘Triggering’ And ‘Damaging’ Comments

Lord people are easily offended... i can almost vaguely get why some soft touches might take issue with Rowlings words, even if its from an idiotic view point, but i really struggle to see how this can in any way be interpreted as 'triggering'...

I still find it irksome that these soft little people have appropriated the term 'triggered' from those who actually experience it though. Someone with PTSD gets triggered.. a wee student hearing something they dont like is hardly in a position to use the term as well..

https://www.unilad.co.uk/film-and-tv/prue-leith-says-she-doesnt-know-why-she-made-triggering-and-damaging-comments-on-bake-off/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Lord people are easily offended... i can almost vaguely get why some soft touches might take issue with Rowlings words, even if its from an idiotic view point, but i really struggle to see how this can in any way be interpreted as 'triggering'...

I still find it irksome that these soft little people have appropriated the term 'triggered' from those who actually experience it though. Someone with PTSD gets triggered.. a wee student hearing something they dont like is hardly in a position to use the term as well..

https://www.unilad.co.uk/film-and-tv/prue-leith-says-she-doesnt-know-why-she-made-triggering-and-damaging-comments-on-bake-off/

Poor Prue - at her age it may well be the case that she can’t even remember what she said let alone how she offended people :dontknow:
Another level of pathetic from the easily offended brigade. I should point out though that this will keep happening indefinitely until people like JK Rowling has done, have the *******s to tell these people where to go. The fact that they’re pandered too eggs them on more.
Original post by imlikeahermit
the easily offended brigade.

this and the term 'the woke brigade' will never fail to make me laugh :lol:
I actually prefer the terms snowflakes or wet wipes, but then I don’t use them on here in case I get cancelled… :biggrin:

I call people wet wipes too, I love it. :lol:

I don't believe in the notion of a 'woke brigade', I find it funny because it's a cringey term. If you're passionate about something, you're passionate about something, and that's it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Some people just go looking for things to get offended about, so that they can act all self righteous and virtue signal.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by parmezanne
I call people wet wipes too, I love it. :lol:

I don't believe in the notion of a 'woke brigade', I find it funny because it's a cringey term. If you're passionate about something, you're passionate about something, and that's it.

It's cringe they brought on themselves since woke is a term they use for their beliefs.
Original post by Napp

A trigger doesn't just affect PTSD, it can apply to a range of mental disorders ranging from eating disorders (in this case) to schizophrenia.
I do think the word has been corrupted though to just mean offended which is why I don't use it for my own mental illness.
I can definitely see BEATs point however there is some responsibility on the individual, if you are watching a show about baking and food with an eating disorder history. You have to expect that anything food related i.e calories will be mentioned.
Original post by TCA2b
It's cringe they brought on themselves since woke is a term they use for their beliefs.

Cancelled as expected. :rolleyes:

Pathetic
Always find it funny how the people who complain about easily offended virtue signallers are themselves often easily offended virtue signallers.

I've taken a look at the complaints about Prue Leith on Twitter and they have, what, 15-30 likes? It must be an extremely slow news day for this to even be a topic of discussion.

Hardly an 'easily offended woke brigade', is it? More like just some random nobodies on Twitter. Trust the media to make a mountain out of a mole hill; they're constantly thirsty for controversy and the anti-woke brigade lap this stuff up.
(edited 2 years ago)

It's a funny one because it's them trying to brand themselves as alert to various 'issues', much like SJW used to be a term they called themselves until it became a pejorative.
Reply 12
Original post by CoolCavy
A trigger doesn't just affect PTSD, it can apply to a range of mental disorders ranging from eating disorders (in this case) to schizophrenia.
I do think the word has been corrupted though to just mean offended which is why I don't use it for my own mental illness.
I can definitely see BEATs point however there is some responsibility on the individual, if you are watching a show about baking and food with an eating disorder history. You have to expect that anything food related i.e calories will be mentioned.

That was more what i was getting at, the classical meaning of the word vs. how it has, wsell, no meaning now. Something which does a great disservice to those who actually do become triggered, as it were, by events/speech. On the flip said those who claim to be 'triggered' simply by seeing something they dislike are exceptionally annoying :lol:
Original post by TCA2b
It's a funny one because it's them trying to brand themselves as alert to various 'issues', much like SJW used to be a term they called themselves until it became a pejorative.

It’s a student forum, I don’t know why I expect anything other than offence being taken. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by SHallowvale
Always find it funny how the people who complain about easily offended virtue signallers are themselves often easily offended virtue signallers.

I've taken a look at the complaints about Prue Leith on Twitter and they have, what, 15-30 likes? It must be an extremely slow news day for this to even be a topic of discussion.

Hardly an 'easily offended woke brigade', is it? More like just some random nobodies on Twitter. Trust the media to make a mountain out of a mole hill; they're constantly thirsty for controversy and the anti-woke brigade lap this stuff up.

Did you just call me an easily offended virtue signaler..?:zomg:
Original post by Napp
Did you just call me an easily offended virtue signaler..?:zomg:

Maybe a little. :wink:

But in all seriousness, I don't understand the outrage people get from stories like this. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the complaints were stupid. I just... don't see any reason to care about them. We're talking about tweets with about 15 likes. They're such quiet voices in the grand scheme of things and they represent an extremely tiny minority of people.

Unless we want to get angry at every stupid thing people write on the internet then I see no reason to care. :tongue:
Reply 16
Maybe a little. :wink:

But in all seriousness, I don't understand the outrage people get from stories like this. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the complaints were stupid. I just... don't see any reason to care about them. We're talking about tweets with about 15 likes. They're such quiet voices in the grand scheme of things and they represent an extremely tiny minority of people.

Unless we want to get angry at every stupid thing people write on the internet then I see no reason to care. :tongue:

Im not sure where my outrage is? More general distaste for people who get so uppity over nothing that they start harassing/bullying people online (or in person) simply because they dont like that persons opinion etc.
I was merely pointing out the story, hardly being offended or virtue signaling?

As to the rest of your comment, this article because its a microcosm of the larger problem of every irrelevant little person thinking they have the right to abuse someone because they dont stick to their script on how life should be. It not being a tinby number of people either, in this case maybe, but in general its far far more - both lefties and right wingers.
Twitter is an evil creation in htis respect :lol:
Original post by Napp
Im not sure where my outrage is? More general distaste for people who get so uppity over nothing that they start harassing/bullying people online (or in person) simply because they dont like that persons opinion etc.
I was merely pointing out the story, hardly being offended or virtue signaling?

As to the rest of your comment, this article because its a microcosm of the larger problem of every irrelevant little person thinking they have the right to abuse someone because they dont stick to their script on how life should be. It not being a tinby number of people either, in this case maybe, but in general its far far more - both lefties and right wingers.
Twitter is an evil creation in htis respect :lol:

Meh. To me, making a thread about a non-issue comes across as being outraged about it. Obviously not 'foaming at the mouth' outrage, but clearly enough to justify spreading this story as if it were important. I'd consider a non-outraged response to be someone ignoring it and moving on, as should most people do in these circumstances. Else we'll be here forever talking about all the ridiculous things people say online. :biggrin:

Perhaps not in your case, but I have seen a lot of this come from the alt-right and woke left. In the former case, people ranting about 'SJW outrage' or 'woke outrage', when in reality all it is are just a handful of tweets from unpopular randoms.
Reply 18
Meh. To me, making a thread about a non-issue comes across as being outraged about it. Obviously not 'foaming at the mouth' outrage, but clearly enough to justify spreading this story as if it were important. I'd consider a non-outraged response to be someone ignoring it and moving on, as should most people do in these circumstances. Else we'll be here forever talking about all the ridiculous things people say online. :biggrin:

Perhaps not in your case, but I have seen a lot of this come from the alt-right and woke left. In the former case, people ranting about 'SJW outrage' or 'woke outrage', when in reality all it is are just a handful of tweets from unpopular randoms.

Or i just like starting discussions on the forum as no one else does these days.. it made the front page of the cited 'news' site ergo it can be easily said to be eminently newsworthy, if rather clickbaity in its content. After all, stuff can still be news even if it doesnt include rape/murder/genocide etc.
On the other hand you do seem genuinely outraged/peeved that others would consider this news when you dont..?
Original post by Napp
Or i just like starting discussions on the forum as no one else does these days.. it made the front page of the cited 'news' site ergo it can be easily said to be eminently newsworthy, if rather clickbaity in its content. After all, stuff can still be news even if it doesnt include rape/murder/genocide etc.

On the other hand you do seem genuinely outraged/peeved that others would consider this news when you dont..?

I think there are better articles to share, yes, and they don't have to involve rape, murder or genocide. Stuff like this isn't really news, it's basically just clickbait as you've said. This itself isn't inherently a bad thing, but in this case I feel like it needlessly furthers an already ridiculous 'culture war'.

I guess so! I'd rather that than be outraged / peeved at some random tweets, but to each their own. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending