The Student Room Group

Clutch and gas

For all the drivers out there do you use gas first with the biting point or do you set the biting point and press the gas when you have released the clutch

Scroll to see replies

push clutch all way down
slowly bring clutch up to biting point
press down on gas slowly and release clutch at the same time, that's what I was taught
Original post by Rohan007best
For all the drivers out there do you use gas first with the biting point or do you set the biting point and press the gas when you have released the clutch

You have to find the biting point and then accelerate while holding it, then release the clutch slowly. If you release the clutch too early, you will stall. If you're on a hill then you have to give a lot of gas, if flat don't accelerate too hard
Reply 3
Original post by Joshwoods01
push clutch all way down
slowly bring clutch up to biting point
press down on gas slowly and release clutch at the same time, that's what I was taught

can Confirm that’s what my driving instructor says
At first I was finding the bite and then releasing the clutch, quickly pressing the gas and we would kind of judder off. Not stalling or anything but it just felt very bumpy.

My instructor said try to press the gas gently as you are releasing the bite, we move off a lot smoother (and quicker) now
Reply 5
i was taught put the handbrake on
push clutch down and select 1st gear
gas pedal to achieve 1500RPM
slowly release clutch until car is 'eager to go'
then release handbrake.

In reality, now i've been driving a few years I've scrapped all this and just simply select first gear press the gas pedal as hard or soft as I bloody like and release the clutch.
I essentially find the bite and then apply the accelerator at the same time as I slowly release the clutch - I think of it as the pedals moving in opposite directions at the same time.
Thank you guys for the feedback
Reply 8
Gas first then bite point. However, that said, if it's a diesel car, then bite point alone is enough.
Original post by gtty123
Gas first then bite point. However, that said, if it's a diesel car, then bite point alone is enough.

Or a large petrol engine. Basically, anything that's putting out torque on the low end can do it. Anything else is just a crapshoot that may or may not have a fit when you attempt it.

That being said, it's bad practice. There's little reason to be moving off that slow unless you're in traffic. In which case there's little need to come to a stop anyway because these torquey engines are perfectly fine pulling weight as low as idle RPMs, just keep a bit of distance and don't be afraid to let the car pull itself at idle.
Original post by TheMcSame
Or a large petrol engine. Basically, anything that's putting out torque on the low end can do it. Anything else is just a crapshoot that may or may not have a fit when you attempt it.

That being said, it's bad practice. There's little reason to be moving off that slow unless you're in traffic. In which case there's little need to come to a stop anyway because these torquey engines are perfectly fine pulling weight as low as idle RPMs, just keep a bit of distance and don't be afraid to let the car pull itself at idle.

Yeah, definitely. It's certainly bad practice, but it's all dependent on the individual. I've known friends who only use bite point and swear by it - mainly because it's far simpler. I, personally, use gas then bite point - but that's because for me it's better.
w

Original post by gtty123
Yeah, definitely. It's certainly bad practice, but it's all dependent on the individual. I've known friends who only use bite point and swear by it - mainly because it's far simpler. I, personally, use gas then bite point - but that's because for me it's better.

how much gas should you apply before reaching bite point?
w

Around 1500 rpm - but, ideally, 1500 to 1800 rpm should be the 'sweet spot'. And then, when you're more experienced, you'll be able to find the 1500 rpm without much effort - but if you change cars etc., you'll have to adjust again.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gtty123

Spot the friends who were taught by a sub-par instructor in a diesel car 😄

God help them if they ever move to those poxy little 1 litre things.
w

There's no set amount. It depends on so many variables... Put simply, it depends how quickly you want to set off, which, in itself, comes down to all kinds of variables.
I have my first manual driving lesson this evening. This clutch-gas thing has made me confused and now I'm terrified 😂
Depends on the car, you just have to get the feel for it, i tend to lift off the clutch point & ease on the gas at the same time but things like how fast you need to accelerate (for example you’ll give it more gas pulling out onto a main road then just lifting out gently onto a 20mph residential area).
Spot the friends who were taught by a sub-par instructor in a diesel car 😄

God help them if they ever move to those poxy little 1 litre things.

Tbh, I don't think they'd ever be seen dead in them.
Original post by SapphirePhoenix1
I have my first manual driving lesson this evening. This clutch-gas thing has made me confused and now I'm terrified 😂

Just set the gas to around 1500 rpm, lift the clutch to the bite point and proceed. This is the right way to move off.
Original post by gtty123
Tbh, I don't think they'd ever be seen dead in them.

It'll be a sad sad day if I ever end up in one of those bloody things with the engine screaming away... He says with his 13 year old 5 speed diesel that is almost definitely slower than said cars and will scream away at something like 2750 RPM doing bang on 70 🤣

Do I get bonus points for a faulty injector/glow plug loom as well? Can't even go full throttle in the bloody thing and getting it fixed could be a crap shoot because a used part could last 5 minutes or 5 years, while a new one will set me back £900+ because god forbid you buy one specific part instead of the entire wiring loom for the engine 🙄🤣

Either way, I think I'll be getting rid next year. Once I'm no longer hit by the young driver 'tax' I'll see what I can sink my funds into. Hopefully, providing my funds (and credit score) allow me, it'll be a Focus RS. Failing that, I might have to settle for an ST or a Joe Average spec. Really depends what kicks off really.

Original post by gtty123
Just set the gas to around 1500 rpm, lift the clutch to the bite point and proceed. This is the right way to move off.

There is no single way that is right. There are so many variables. There is no single set RPM for setting off.
It'll be a sad sad day if I ever end up in one of those bloody things with the engine screaming away... He says with his 13 year old 5 speed diesel that is almost definitely slower than said cars and will scream away at something like 2750 RPM doing bang on 70 🤣

Do I get bonus points for a faulty injector/glow plug loom as well? Can't even go full throttle in the bloody thing and getting it fixed could be a crap shoot because a used part could last 5 minutes or 5 years, while a new one will set me back £900+ because god forbid you buy one specific part instead of the entire wiring loom for the engine 🙄🤣

Either way, I think I'll be getting rid next year. Once I'm no longer hit by the young driver 'tax' I'll see what I can sink my funds into. Hopefully, providing my funds (and credit score) allow me, it'll be a Focus RS. Failing that, I might have to settle for an ST or a Joe Average spec. Really depends what kicks off really.

There is no single way that is right. There are so many variables. There is no single set RPM for setting off.

Interesting. Hopefully you find a better car lol.

I'd say 1500 is the sweet spot, anecdotally speaking. 1500 for setting off and 2000 for uphill has always worked for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending