The Student Room Group

Crime essay: moral panic and gangs

Hello. I’m writing an essay and my question is related to moral panic and gang crime in the Uk. I’m just wondering if anyone could help me on what main topics to talk about here relating it to the 21st century? Thank you
Original post by Hollyshaw119
Hello. I’m writing an essay and my question is related to moral panic and gang crime in the Uk. I’m just wondering if anyone could help me on what main topics to talk about here relating it to the 21st century? Thank you

Have you done a quick Google Scholar search or a quick search on the library database? Those can give you lots of examples and inspiration. Without knowing the exact question it's hard to know what angle you'd want to take on it - i.e. are you talking about the rise and fall of gangs and how this has instigated blind moral panic, or are you looking for more tangible solutions? Then there's also aspects such as increasing poverty, drugs, the media and any biased reporting, politicisation of crime, policing, racial factors etc...
Hi thank you for getting back to me. My question for my essay is ‘To what extent is there a moral panic around gang crime’
Hi thank you for getting back to me. My question for my essay is ‘To what extent is there a moral panic around gang crime’

is it just based on recently because there was mods and rockers

Ah, so you'd want to be taking a position of "a major extent", or "a minor extent", or a "moderate extent", then back that up with sources and arguments :smile:
Original post by englishhopeful98
is it just based on recently because there was mods and rockers

Yes this is based on recently
Original post by journeyaway
Ah, so you'd want to be taking a position of "a major extent", or "a minor extent", or a "moderate extent", then back that up with sources and arguments :smile:

would i be able talk about the media and how it elevates the the public fear?
would i be able talk about the media and how it elevates the the public fear?

I don't see why not - however, you'd want to provide some evidence to support your argument, or cite some studies by others that have demonstrated this. :smile: Hope your assignment is going well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending