The Student Room Group

What are the best business degrees to get?

I want to study business at university when I finish college, but what would you say are the best in terms of Employment opportunities, pay and job satisfaction in ur opinion?
P.S I’m not very good at maths, always loved English and was way better at that in school, so ik that finance degrees are good but I think it would be too mathematical for me 😭
Management and Human Resources / Human Resource Management / Business Management and Human Resources
Uni of Manchester - Management and HR AAB
Lancaster University - Management and HR ABB
Aston University - Business Management and HR BBB
Reply 3
The person above me is trolling with that trash response. Please don't listen to him.

The best are:

University of Nottingham - Business Management (Nottingham has one of the best business schools in the UK)
University College London - Information Management (This teaches you I.T and Business which is essential in every business)
University of Bristol or Bath - Business Management (Overall good options for Business degrees)

These are all Russel Group Universities and highly desirable from employers. Their alumni is unmatched and can get you into top-tier companies.

Any decent university will teach you HR in one of their modules. If you're good at English but bad at Maths, go for Marketing, Operations, Auditing and Assurance modules. HR is much lower pay compared to these areas because HR is a back-office job.

Ideally you should probably improve your Maths because employers will give you numerical tests in their application process. Every business requires Maths and you can't avoid it. If you want an excellent chance of progressing to the interview stage, get good at Maths. However, the Maths required is only GCSE level and you can use a calculator in the tests. You just need to be able to do the questions fast and accurately. Seriously, don't forget about Maths just because you're bad at it or you'll be screwed during the application process.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Will28_
I want to study business at university when I finish college, but what would you say are the best in terms of Employment opportunities, pay and job satisfaction in ur opinion?
P.S I’m not very good at maths, always loved English and was way better at that in school, so ik that finance degrees are good but I think it would be too mathematical for me 😭

Hi there,

Choosing a degree to study in university is a very tricky and important decision. Not a lof people consider employment opportunities so it's smart that you're factoring this into your decision. Business degrees are very versatile where the job market is concerned so I would say tailor it to your personal interests. Aston University offers a wide range of business degrees, I would advise looking at the modules offered within the specific degrees and see which combination best suits you.

Aston Business School is part of an elite group of global business schools that hold the gold standard of ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS, as well as appearing in the top 100 for Business and Management Studies (QS World University rankings 2021). The Careers and Placements team at Aston University will be on hand to help you secure part-time jobs, placement jobs, and graduation jobs. The team won the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service' category at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020 for it's use of innovative ideas to engage a high number of students with the service in order to support them with their career planning and have links with over 200 employers.

Hope this helps

*Ethel
Original post by Will28_

You need to go into university with a clear head. What is it that you want to do? Don't just go into business because you have no idea what it is you want to study. Just saying you want the best in terms of employment opportunities is fairly meaningless.

Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

Choosing a degree to study in university is a very tricky and important decision. Not a lof people consider employment opportunities so it's smart that you're factoring this into your decision. Business degrees are very versatile where the job market is concerned so I would say tailor it to your personal interests. Aston University offers a wide range of business degrees, I would advise looking at the modules offered within the specific degrees and see which combination best suits you.

Aston Business School is part of an elite group of global business schools that hold the gold standard of ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS, as well as appearing in the top 100 for Business and Management Studies (QS World University rankings 2021). The Careers and Placements team at Aston University will be on hand to help you secure part-time jobs, placement jobs, and graduation jobs. The team won the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service' category at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020 for it's use of innovative ideas to engage a high number of students with the service in order to support them with their career planning and have links with over 200 employers.

Hope this helps

*Ethel

A business degree is versatile, but so is a chemistry degree, a history degree, a geography degree, a physics degree, a computer science degree. How does the Aston careers team ensure students get jobs? Do they have more contacts than other universities? Are they able to help students skip certain interview stages? If not, I'm not sure how unique you really are.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hoimanc
The person above me is trolling with that trash response. Please don't listen to him.

The best are:

University of Nottingham - Business Management (Nottingham has one of the best business schools in the UK)
University College London - Information Management (This teaches you I.T and Business which is essential in every business)
University of Bristol or Bath - Business Management (Overall good options for Business degrees)

These are all Russel Group Universities and highly desirable from employers. Their alumni is unmatched and can get you into top-tier companies.

Any decent university will teach you HR in one of their modules. If you're good at English but bad at Maths, go for Marketing, Operations, Auditing and Assurance modules. HR is much lower pay compared to these areas because HR is a back-office job.

Ideally you should probably improve your Maths because employers will give you numerical tests in their application process. Every business requires Maths and you can't avoid it. If you want an excellent chance of progressing to the interview stage, get good at Maths. However, the Maths required is only GCSE level and you can use a calculator in the tests. You just need to be able to do the questions fast and accurately. Seriously, don't forget about Maths just because you're bad at it or you'll be screwed during the application process.

Thank you for this response :smile: v. Useful, I do have GCSE maths (at Grade 5) but it’s my lowest grade of all my GCSEs those universities all require a 6 in Maths to get onto their business courses, and I’m actually from Notts and am wanting to branch out so the likelihood of me attended Notts uni is low. But none the less the post was still very useful especially the bit about the modules.
What are your opinions on Leeds university for Business??
Reply 7
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

Hope this helps

*Ethel

Hi thank you for this very informative and useful, I checked Astons entry requirements and am fairly confident I can achieve them (I do BTEC business and I saw that the requirements were Distinction, Distinction, Distinction and I’m predicted Distinction* Distinction* Distinction) so the grades I’m confident I can get but what about the personal statement? 🤔 do you possibly have any tips on how I can make my self stand out.
I do like how Aston have the placements as well that you mentioned
Reply 8
Original post by Blue_Cow
You need to go into university with a clear head. What is it that you want to do? Don't just go into business because you have no idea what it is you want to study. Just saying you want the best in terms of employment opportunities is fairly meaningless.

A business degree is versatile, but so is a chemistry degree, a history degree, a geography degree, a physics degree, a computer science degree. How does the Aston careers team ensure students get jobs? Do they have more contacts than other universities? Are they able to help students skip certain interview stages? If not, I'm not sure how unique you really are.

Hi thx for this response I appreciate it :smile:. Me wanting to study business is not only because of the career prospects (it is a factor but not the only one). I have thought about studying business at University since about yr10 because I took GCSE business I enjoyed my lessons and found it a lot of it interesting. I also im current doing an extended diploma in business so im pretty certain it’s the area I would like to study in the future. But I will say that the money and career prospects are a factor as well because if im going to go to university and go into thousands of pounds worth of debt, I want to make sure I have a degree that is worth all the debt.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Will28_
Hi thank you for this very informative and useful, I checked Astons entry requirements and am fairly confident I can achieve them (I do BTEC business and I saw that the requirements were Distinction, Distinction, Distinction and I’m predicted Distinction* Distinction* Distinction) so the grades I’m confident I can get but what about the personal statement? 🤔 do you possibly have any tips on how I can make my self stand out.

Are you in year 13? You might want to hurry up since the deadline is the 26th of January and you'll need your school's reference and £26.50p finished ideally before the deadline so that your school can process your application in time.

Btw, I'm applying for business/accounting and finance courses and I haven't taken A-level maths; I just want to make it clear that doing maths in a business degree is a given, most will have statistics if not at least A-level mathematics and so, you have to be prepared for that.

Are there any other courses you're interested in? What do you like to read in the news?
Reply 10
Original post by Aspstudent
Are you in year 13? You might want to hurry up since the deadline is the 26th of January and you'll need your school's reference and £26.50p finished ideally before the deadline so that your school can process your application in time.

Btw, I'm applying for business/accounting and finance courses and I haven't taken A-level maths; I just want to make it clear that doing maths in a business degree is a given, most will have statistics if not at least A-level mathematics and so, you have to be prepared for that.

Are there any other courses you're interested in? What do you like to read in the news?

Hi thanks for responding to my post :smile:
I’m still year 12 dw planning on applying 2022, I just want to make the right decision, I thought about university for so long but never go closer to an actual definitive answer i what I want to study which is why I’m coming onto the student room to ask for any advice.
I know I’m going to have to improve on maths for sure, however one of my units in my BTEC business course atm is personal and business finance, and in my mocks I am actually getting distinctions in my courses, so I must be doing some maths right.
And I’m quite interested in like International business. This degree is the closest I got to a proper answer to what I might study since I really want to travel when I’m older and would love explore new cultures and I gathered that maybe an international business degree might help me to achieve just that. But I have been told that it’s abit general and broad so idk 🤷.
(edited 2 years ago)
You would actually do better by having a degree in Chemistry/Physics/Maths/Engineering/Economics, pursuing a business graduate scheme, and later doing an MBA. These STEM degrees are much more competitive and highly regarded. You can still do well with a business degree, but those STEM degrees are far more versatile and 'intense' with a multitude of favourable transferable skills. Look on at what degrees those with titles 'Business Manager', 'Sales Director', 'Business Development Executive', 'Account Manager' have. You will see some have no degree, some have a business degree, some have a STEM degree, and some have a random humanities degree. You don't need an intense STEM degree, but graduate roles are so competitive and these are far more attractive for leading organisations.
Original post by Will28_

Hello,

I don't work for the admissions team, I'm just a student myself. But I can give you some tips that are sensible and that worked for me.
A personal statement is like a cover letter or a personal advertisement. Its aim is to tell the university more about you than your grades and to show them that you're a good fit for their institution. To do this it would help to know your strengths and weaknesses, interests, future aspirations, how you would be a good fit for the uni and vice versa. This is not to say that you have to have it all figured out and know where you want the future to take you, but your personal statement would read better if you had some sort of plan or structure set for yourself.

The key difference between a CV and a cover letter is that in the latter you're not just listing experiences and qualifications but you're highlighting the relevance of your acquired skills. This principle is the same for a personal statement.

It is a personal statement so make it personal, try to weave in personal or significant anecdotes or experiences into it. Don't just stick in a childhood memory every other paragraph, try to incorporate elements of yourself in a way that is relevant to the course or your strengths and skills in some way.

Don't leave it till the last minute, always check for grammatical and structural issues, and get someone else to proofread it for you (maybe your career advisor, school guidance counsellor or tutor).

Hope this has helped.

*Ethel
Reply 13
Original post by Will28_

OP please before you decide anything, checkout these universities. These universities offer the best business courses especially the first 3. Warwick is stellar!
The best places to business degree are the fr:
University of Warwick - they offer Bsc management as well as International management.
University of Bath - offer the same
University of Exeter
Kings college
University of Loughborough
University of Lancaster
University of Birmingham
University of Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending