The Student Room Group

exp how Zapurpain might affect the proces of synaptic transmission through inhibition

9)Zapurpain acts like an inhibitory neurotransmitter at the synapse. Explain how Zapurpain might affect the process of synaptic transmission through inhibition. [4 marks]

can someone answer this cause i dont know how to

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnscarlet
9)Zapurpain acts like an inhibitory neurotransmitter at the synapse. Explain how Zapurpain might affect the process of synaptic transmission through inhibition. [4 marks]

can someone answer this cause i dont know how to

Have you learned about inhibitory and excitory neurons?
Reply 2
Original post by Food!
Have you learned about inhibitory and excitory neurons?

yh i have put application is my issue
yh i have put application is my issue

Well you don't need to think about the zapurpain it's used to throw you off basically just talk about inhibitory neurotransmitter
Reply 4
but i need a model answer to get the gist i only the process of the synaptic transmission
but i need a model answer to get the gist i only the process of the synaptic transmission

Write down what you think and we'll give pointers
Reply 6
could you just wrote a model answer or not ( it would be helpful though cause i have a mock for paper 2 )
Reply 7
A survey of hospital patients has found that a new drug, Zapurpain, is as effective as other pain medication.
Zapurpain acts like an inhibitory neurotransmitter at the synapse. Explain how Zapurpain might affect the process of synaptic transmission through inhibition. 4 marks

Zapurpain mimics the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters, stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire. If Zarpurpain inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain. ( My answer)
A survey of hospital patients has found that a new drug, Zapurpain, is as effective as other pain medication.
Zapurpain acts like an inhibitory neurotransmitter at the synapse. Explain how Zapurpain might affect the process of synaptic transmission through inhibition. 4 marks

As it is 4 marks there must be 4 marking points

Zapurpain mimics the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters

How?

stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire.

Good
Instead of 'fire' say depolarise

If Zarpurpain inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain. ( My answer)

What is the emboldened part describing?
You could say something along the lines of for the final part: The sensory neurone, due to Zarpurpain action, depolarises less often to the CNS resulting in a reduction in pain perception
Reply 9
Original post by chris01928
Write down what you think and we'll give pointers

Zapurpain mimics the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters, stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire. If Zarpurpain inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain. ( My answer)

I gave my viewpoints above:smile:
Would you rewrite what i wrote because am still having difficulty
Would you rewrite what i wrote because am still having difficulty

Well firstly, tell me what you think the 4 marking points would be taking into account what I have said above
to answer your question
when an inhibitory neurotransmitter binds to the post-synaptic receptors it makes the post-synaptic cell
less likely to fire (IPSP)
Summation if inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity
Zapurpain would make the post-synaptic cell less likely to fire
reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

so this is what i have researched and
Summation is the addition of positive and negative post-synaptic potentials. A nerve cell can receive both positive and negative potentials simultaneously. These potentials are summed and if the net effect on the postsynaptic neuron is inhibitory, the neuron will be less likely to fire. reducing brain activity whcih may lead to reduced pain.

Zapurpain will mimic the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters, stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire. If inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

Synoptic transmission is the process in which neurones communicate by the synoptic left from the presynaptic neurone to the postsynaptic neuron. Information is passed on the accent of the neurone as an electrical impulse known as an action potential. Once the action potential reaches the end of the axon in Must cross over the synaptic cleft. At the end of the neuron are the synoptic vesicles which contain chemical messages known as neurotransmitters. When the electrical impulse reaches the synoptic vesicles, they release their content of neurotrans-mitter. Neurotransmitters then carry the signal across the synaptic cleft. They bind to receptor sites on the postsynaptic cell that then becomes activated. When the receptors have been activated they either produce Excitatory or inhibitory effects on the postsynaptic cell making the postsynaptic cell more or less likely to fire.

inhibitory NT increases the active charge of the PSN. When electrical message reaches terminal button, the synaptic ventricles trigger the release of NT (chemical message) which then floods across synapse. However Zapurpain which would work in place of a NT, increases the charge so this decreases the likelihood that the PSN will pass on an electrical impulse in the dendrites

Inhibition occurs when receptor stimulation results in an increase in the negative charge of the postsynaptic neuron and decreases the likelihood of the neuron firing.
Summation is the addition of positive and negative post-synaptic potentials. A nerve cell can receive both positive and negative potentials simultaneously. These potentials are summed and if the net effect on the postsynaptic neuron is inhibitory, the neuron will be less likely to fire, and if the net effect is excitatory, the neuron will be more likely to fire.
i know its all there but I dont know to repharese it into an answer
inhibitory NT increases the active charge of the PSN. When electrical message reaches terminal button, the synaptic ventricles trigger the release of NT (chemical message) which then floods across synapse. However Zapurpain which would work in place of a NT, increases the charge so this decreases the likelihood that the PSN will pass on an electrical impulse in the dendrite. Zapurpain will mimic the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters, stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire. If inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

Well firstly, tell me what you think the 4 marking points would be taking into account what I have said above
to answer your question
when an inhibitory neurotransmitter binds to the post-synaptic receptors it makes the post-synaptic cell
less likely to fire (IPSP)

Firstly, well done for doing all this research. What I was thinking more about is tertiary structure and complementarity

Summation if inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity

Yep

Zapurpain would make the post-synaptic cell less likely to fire

less likely or reduced frequency of depolarisation

reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

Yep
so this is what i have researched and
Summation is the addition of positive and negative post-synaptic potentials. A nerve cell can receive both positive and negative potentials simultaneously. These potentials are summed and if the net effect on the postsynaptic neuron is inhibitory, the neuron will be less likely to fire. reducing brain activity whcih may lead to reduced pain.

Yes this is true as a greater stimulus is required for the threshold value to be reached
Zapurpain will mimic the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitters, stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by an inhibitory neurotransmitter result in inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.as the neurotransmitter is inhibitory then the postsynaptic neurone is less like to do fire because the inhibitory neurotransmitter causes and IPSP making the postsynaptic cell less likely to fire. If inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occurring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity therefore reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

'mimc' as it has a similar tertiary structure to another inhibitory neurotransmitter
Synoptic transmission is the process in which neurones communicate by the synoptic left from the presynaptic neurone to the postsynaptic neuron. Information is passed on the accent of the neurone as an electrical impulse known as an action potential. Once the action potential reaches the end of the axon in Must cross over the synaptic cleft. At the end of the neuron are the synoptic vesicles which contain chemical messages known as neurotransmitters. When the electrical impulse reaches the synoptic vesicles, they release their content of neurotrans-mitter. Neurotransmitters then carry the signal across the synaptic cleft. They bind to receptor sites on the postsynaptic cell that then becomes activated. When the receptors have been activated they either produce Excitatory or inhibitory effects on the postsynaptic cell making the postsynaptic cell more or less likely to fire.

Yes, side question, how does it produce excitatory or inhibitory effects in the postsynaptic neurone
inhibitory NT increases the active charge of the PSN. When electrical message reaches terminal button, the synaptic ventricles trigger the release of NT (chemical message) which then floods across synapse. However Zapurpain which would work in place of a NT, increases the charge so this decreases the likelihood that the PSN will pass on an electrical impulse in the dendrites

I don't really know what you mean by active charge. If you mean potential difference would it increase or decrease?
Inhibition occurs when receptor stimulation results in an increase in the negative charge of the postsynaptic neuron and decreases the likelihood of the neuron firing.
Summation is the addition of positive and negative post-synaptic potentials. A nerve cell can receive both positive and negative potentials simultaneously. These potentials are summed and if the net effect on the postsynaptic neuron is inhibitory, the neuron will be less likely to fire, and if the net effect is excitatory, the neuron will be more likely to fire.

Yes

You have sort of repeated yourself throughout this post.
What I would say the 4 marking points are:

Zapurpain haas a similar tertiary structure to an inhibitory neurotransmitter

And therefore promotes inhibition by... tell me how?

This then (increases or decreases?) the potential difference in the postsynaptic cell

Meaning a greater stimulus is required for the brain to perceive the pain

Firstly, well done for doing all this research. What I was thinking more about is tertiary structure and complementarity

Yep

Yep

Yes this is true as a greater stimulus is required for the threshold value to be reached

'mimc' as it has a similar tertiary structure to another inhibitory neurotransmitter

Yes, side question, how does it produce excitatory or inhibitory effects in the postsynaptic neurone

I don't really know what you mean by active charge. If you mean potential difference would it increase or decrease?

Yes

This then (increases or decreases?) the potential difference in the postsynaptic cell

is this better?

Zapurpain has a similar tertiary structure to an inhibitory neurotransmitter, And therefore Inhibition occurs when receptor stimulation results in an increase in the negative charge of the postsynaptic neuron and decreases the likelihood of the neuron firing, if inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occur-ring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity, Meaning a greater stimulus is required for the brain to perceive the pain as reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.

Yep

Yep

Yes

is this better?

Zapurpain has a similar tertiary structure to an inhibitory neurotransmitter, And therefore Inhibition occurs when receptor stimulation results in an increase in the negative charge of the postsynaptic neuron and decreases the likelihood of the neuron firing, if inhibitory inputs are higher than excitatory they can cancel out excitation and inhibit an action potential occur-ring/Zapurpain would decrease the overall activity, Meaning a greater stimulus is required for the brain to perceive the pain as reducing brain activity may lead to reduced pain.
is this better?

Fine. Again don't know MS but i would write something very similar 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending