The Student Room Group

Rant about ed

okay sorry, i need to have a little rant and this is a topic where people may agree or disagree but i hate the fact that there is two diagnoses for anorexia atypical being have all of the criteria for the illness but not underweight. I have this diagnosis have all of the same thought processes as someone with anorexia i am just at a healthy weight and in a way i feel it invalidates me, my brain already wants me to be a extremely low weight but now i have mh professionals telling me oh u arent underweight o we cant give you the actual diagnosis it goes back to using the BMI scale to detemrine peoples illness WHEN ITS MENTAL PHYSICAL SYMPTONS ARE JUST A thing of the actual mental illness anyone els agree lol??
Anorexia is a complex subject.
“Anorexia” on its own is not a mental health problem. It describes weight.
“Anorexia nervosa is the mental health condition.

So you can be anorexic without an eating disorder, or have the eating disorder without the weight complement.

With all due respect, healthcare professionals know a lot more than you about the intricacies of what they’re diagnosing, so getting upset about it is a little pointless.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Anorexia is a complex subject.
“Anorexia” on its own is not a mental health problem. It describes weight.
“Anorexia nervosa is the mental health condition.

So you can be anorexic without an eating disorder, or have the eating disorder without the weight complement.

With all due respect, healthcare professionals know a lot more than you about the intricacies of what they’re diagnosing, so getting upset about it is a little pointless.

anorexia i not a term used to describe weight one bit and it never should be you cant be anorexic and not have the ed ?????
Original post by Anonymous
anorexia i not a term used to describe weight one bit and it never should be you cant be anorexic and not have the ed ?????

I’m giving you factual information, there’s nothing to argue about here. Obviously, you need to do a little research.
Reply 4
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I’m giving you factual information, there’s nothing to argue about here. Obviously, you need to do a little research.

I'm very well educated on my illness
the point am trying to get across is the term anorexia is not used at ALL to describe someone's weight, if you saw someone who was underweight you would not say that they are anorexic, basically referring them to have the eating disorder when in reality there could be a completely different reason, no one should ever judge and the whole point about my original post it stating the diagnosis of atypical anorexia can invalidate someone as in there eyes they arent seen as 'ill' enough for the actual diagnosis which then makes them want to get to a point where they would be classed as underweight and could be potentially extremely damaging to their physical and mental health which once again is a HUGE debate and whatever you think about it Is your opinion and no one should be angry about it.
Yes, health care professionals can be the experts in situations but they aren't always correct! thank u!
I'm very well educated on my illness
the point am trying to get across is the term anorexia is not used at ALL to describe someone's weight, if you saw someone who was underweight you would not say that they are anorexic, basically referring them to have the eating disorder when in reality there could be a completely different reason, no one should ever judge and the whole point about my original post it stating the diagnosis of atypical anorexia can invalidate someone as in there eyes they arent seen as 'ill' enough for the actual diagnosis which then makes them want to get to a point where they would be classed as underweight and could be potentially extremely damaging to their physical and mental health which once again is a HUGE debate and whatever you think about it Is your opinion and no one should be angry about it.
Yes, health care professionals can be the experts in situations but they aren't always correct! thank u!

You have no idea what you’re talking about, I am not giving you my opinion, I am providing you with medical scientific knowledge. Arguing against it is like arguing that the sun isn’t a star.

As for your diagnosis, it is a true diagnosis and it’s name derives from the reasons I have already explained above. You are having trouble difficulty differentiating between two different concepts which is your problem, not your doctors’. Feel free to ask them about it if it’s causing you such distress.
(edited 2 years ago)
The reality is that, whilst both might have the same thought processes, someone with typical anorexia and thus a much lower weight is at much higher risk of having physical health problems as a result of their ED. So though both are mental illness and people with both need psychological support, someone with typical anorexia may also need significant support with their physical health as well. I do appreciate how it might make you feel invalidated when you ED is already making you feel bad about your weight, but the distinction is there for a reason and the approach to managing someone who is significantly underweight is going to be very different to the one used for someone who is not.

Physical symptoms are not "just a thing" - they are a very real problem and people can die from the physical symptoms if they are not addressed and if only the psychological symptoms are dealt with. As an example, someone I knew for a long time died from a cardiac arrest due to heart muscle wasting caused by their anorexia.

It might make it easier to process if you just accept it as a different ED altogether to typical anorexia? A bit like BED and BN both involve binging but still being different EDs.

I hope you are getting some help with your ED and that things get easier for you soon.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
The reality is that, whilst both might have the same thought processes, someone with typical anorexia and thus a much lower weight is at much higher risk of having physical health problems as a result of their ED. So though both are mental illness and people with both need psychological support, someone with typical anorexia may also need significant support with their physical health as well. I do appreciate how it might make you feel invalidated when you ED is already making you feel bad about your weight, but the distinction is there for a reason and the approach to managing someone who is significantly underweight is going to be very different to the one used for someone who is not.

Physical symptoms are not "just a thing" - they are a very real problem and people can die from the physical symptoms if they are not addressed and if only the psychological symptoms are dealt with. As an example, someone I knew for a long time died from a cardiac arrest due to heart muscle wasting caused by their anorexia.

It might make it easier to process if you just accept it as a different ED altogether to typical anorexia? A bit like BED and BN both involve binging but still being different EDs.

I hope you are getting some help with your ED and that things get easier for you soon.

Thank u very much currently in a ed clinic and getting support so all is good, I am sorry and i hope ur ok?? I guess my head convinces me i dont deserve help since I'm not SUPER underweight and the treatment is the same that i am receiving!!
Thank u very much currently in a ed clinic and getting support so all is good, I am sorry and i hope ur ok?? I guess my head convinces me i dont deserve help since I'm not SUPER underweight and the treatment is the same that i am receiving!!

Considering how hard it can be to get help for EDs, the fact that you are in an ED clinic suggests that several health professionals (i.e. whoever referred you there, whoever accepted the referral, and whoever is involved in your treatment right now) have though you need help, and you are absolutely deserving of all the support they are offering you. I hope they help you to get on top of things and to manage all the unhelpful thoughts you are having. Good luck.

I'm as OK as I can be. Thank you.
ed and weight stuff

Spoiler

solidarity OP :hugs: :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest