The Student Room Group

Delete

Delte
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it's a good answer because you've presented good arguments but it's also very descriptive- I'm not sure what syllabus but I take CIE 9990 psychology A level and we are not supposed to describe the study in the "discuss" questions, only required to look at the different points of views and present arguments. Which you did after the 3rd para. If the description bit is required in your syllabus then this is a great answer.
You could maybe use words like "Low Generalizability or Deterministic- where you talk about the first limitation of the two process model and how it doesn't apply in all situations or how it oversimplifies stuff. Basically more keywords I guess, cuz that would improve your answer (which is otherwise good). You've already used keywords in some places, for eg- when you talk about the "reductionist" nature of the study.

That's all I can think of! I hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by Kim J
I think it's a good answer because you've presented good arguments but it's also very descriptive- I'm not sure what syllabus but I take CIE 9990 psychology A level and we are not supposed to describe the study in the "discuss" questions, only required to look at the different points of views and present arguments. Which you did after the 3rd para. If the description bit is required in your syllabus then this is a great answer.
You could maybe use words like "Low Generalizability or Deterministic- where you talk about the first limitation of the two process model and how it doesn't apply in all situations or how it oversimplifies stuff. Basically more keywords I guess, cuz that would improve your answer (which is otherwise good). You've already used keywords in some places, for eg- when you talk about the "reductionist" nature of the study.

That's all I can think of! I hope this helps and good luck!

Yeah, in reflection I think you are right; like three paragraphs at the start of description which I should shorten to one and try and get more strengths and limitations in. My spec is AQA a level psychology btw
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by NeedPsychHelp123
Yeah, in reflection I think you are right; like three paragraphs at the start of description which I should shorten to one and try and get more strengths and limitations in. My spec is AQA a level psychology btw

yeah I would say about 2 strenghts and 2 limitations atleast
This is a good answer for an attachment 16 marker but this question is talking about phobias and only the behavioural approach to treating phobiaS includes these points.There are two behaviourist therapies used to treat phobias, systematic desensitisation and flooding. Both therapies use the principles of classical conditioning to replace a person’s phobia with a new response relaxation.
Systematic desensitisation uses reverse counter-conditioning to unlearn the maladaptive response to a situation or object, by eliciting another response (relaxation).
There are three critical components to systematic desensitisation:
Fear hierarchy
Relaxation training
Reciprocal inhibition
Firstly, the client and therapist work together to develop a fear hierarchy, where they rank the phobic situation from least to most terrifying.
You could use the biological approach to treating phobias as a counter point in your evaluation ( such as biological prepardness) or you could talk about the role of cognition aswell.
Hey, here are some suggestions:

firstly, answer doesn't align with the title in your question about phobias....

anyway, based on the essay...:

it was actually so impressive and I have very little to add.

PARAGRAPH 1:

Internal working model: make your definition of this clearer.
the internal working model is built based upon the relationship between the child and the primary caregiver through the creation of an expectation around what all future relationships should be like ie what to expect from others in relationships.

in a sense this is a relationship 'schema' - Bartlett

Also maybe add some more methodological evaluation throughout rather than exclusively using other studies to evaluate.
For example for Ainsworth's strange situation discuss the low internal validity ie how Main argued that the babies behave differently depending on which parent they're with and therefore this study has a low population validity.
Also discuss the ethical issues inherent in this research (= causing distress)
in episode 6, 20% of the children cried repeatedly, so is this an ethically correct technique to use with infants?
Original post by sophiesharp765

PARAGRAPH 1:

the internal working model is built based upon the relationship between the child and the primary caregiver through the creation of an expectation around what all future relationships should be like ie what to expect from others in relationships.

Also maybe add some more methodological evaluation throughout rather than exclusively using other studies to evaluate.
For example for Ainsworth's strange situation discuss the low internal validity ie how Main argued that the babies behave differently depending on which parent they're with and therefore this study has a low population validity.
in episode 6, 20% of the children cried repeatedly, so is this an ethically correct technique to use with infants?

Hey, I really appreciate the reply; I don’t suppose you could explain what you mean when you say the answer doesn’t align with the question? I structured this question slightly differently because of the “discuss” part
Original post by sophiesharp765

PARAGRAPH 1:

Ahhh, I’ve just realised, I copied the wrong title; this essay is “Discuss research into the influence of childhood on adult relationships (16 marks)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by T-A-27
From what I can tell, you're answering a question based on attachment rather than on phobias. In order to answer the question in the title, you need to talk about the two process model, systematic desensitization and flooding. Hope this helps!

Hi apologies, I just realised I copied the wrong title; this essay is discuss research into the influence of childhood on adult relationships (16 marks)
The AO1 is good but you dont need the extra limitation and conclusion cuase ur not doing a compare 16 marker. Write 2 strength and 2 Limiatation PEEL

A strength of the two process model is its solid and reinforced explanation of phobias. It not only explains how we get phobias, but it also provides an explanation in relation to why they are maintained overtime which provides important implications for therapy. An example of this is if a patient is prevented from practicing avoidance behaviour, the phobic behaviour declines. Moreover, the two–process model provides a fair more detailed insight than Watson and Raynor’s simple classical conditioning explanations of phobias, thus the application to therapy is a strength of the two process model.

Another strength of the behaviourist explanation to phobias is the empirical evidence that supports it. For example, Watson and Raynor conditioned ‘Little Albert’ to associate a white rat (neutral stimuli) with a loud noise (unconditioned stimuli) by repeatedly pairing the white rat with the loud noise going off. Following this conditioning process, Little Albert developed a fear (conditioned response) of white rats/objects. Thus, this supports the idea that abnormal behaviour such as phobias are learnt through classical conditioning, as there is empirical, observed, data from a laboratory experiment to support the theory that abnormal behaviors such as phobias are learnt through classical conditioning.

A limitation of the two-process model however is that it fails to explain that not all bad experiences lead to phobias and offers a distinctly reductionist view. For example, some individuals cannot recall a traumatic incident that triggered the onset of their phobias. This suggests that other processes must have caused the development of a phobia without the process of classical conditioning meaning that the behaviourist explanations can be criticized for offering a simplistic explanation.

for these 3 evaluations try adding L points cause looking at your answer it would probably get 14/16 maybe 15/16 but realistically writing all this in a exam but make u panic insted even if have 3 solid PEEL paragrapghs a 1 pee u could get 15 marks
Original post by johnscarlet
The AO1 is good but you dont need the extra limitation and conclusion cuase ur not doing a compare 16 marker. Write 2 strength and 2 Limiatation PEEL

A strength of the two process model is its solid and reinforced explanation of phobias. It not only explains how we get phobias, but it also provides an explanation in relation to why they are maintained overtime which provides important implications for therapy. An example of this is if a patient is prevented from practicing avoidance behaviour, the phobic behaviour declines. Moreover, the two–process model provides a fair more detailed insight than Watson and Raynor’s simple classical conditioning explanations of phobias, thus the application to therapy is a strength of the two process model.

Another strength of the behaviourist explanation to phobias is the empirical evidence that supports it. For example, Watson and Raynor conditioned ‘Little Albert’ to associate a white rat (neutral stimuli) with a loud noise (unconditioned stimuli) by repeatedly pairing the white rat with the loud noise going off. Following this conditioning process, Little Albert developed a fear (conditioned response) of white rats/objects. Thus, this supports the idea that abnormal behaviour such as phobias are learnt through classical conditioning, as there is empirical, observed, data from a laboratory experiment to support the theory that abnormal behaviors such as phobias are learnt through classical conditioning.

A limitation of the two-process model however is that it fails to explain that not all bad experiences lead to phobias and offers a distinctly reductionist view. For example, some individuals cannot recall a traumatic incident that triggered the onset of their phobias. This suggests that other processes must have caused the development of a phobia without the process of classical conditioning meaning that the behaviourist explanations can be criticized for offering a simplistic explanation.

for these 3 evaluations try adding L points cause looking at your answer it would probably get 14/16 maybe 15/16 but realistically writing all this in a exam but make u panic insted even if have 3 solid PEEL paragrapghs a 1 pee u could get 15 marks

Hi, thank you for the reply; I wasn’t too sure about the conclusion, I didn’t know if a conclusion was needed for all of the 16 markers so I just added one anyway. I’ve done quite a lot of posts about these as I feel like I know the knowledge, but actually writing it is where I’m falling down so I really appreciate the help, I’m gonna go through it again and alter it
Original post by NeedPsychHelp123
Hi, thank you for the reply; I wasn’t too sure about the conclusion, I didn’t know if a conclusion was needed for all of the 16 markers so I just added one anyway. I’ve done quite a lot of posts about these as I feel like I know the knowledge, but actually writing it is where I’m falling down so I really appreciate the help, I’m gonna go through it again and alter it

No problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending