The Student Room Group

Will I be allowed to stay in accomodation when the uni is 30 mins away - by car?

I also have the same postcode as the uni :smile:
Original post by sunsetlover321
I also have the same postcode as the uni :smile:

Yeah sure i mean they will charge ypu rent for the accommodation which when being at home can make a huge difference. I mean you gain independence sure costs more living at uni accommodation. I mean it's helpful living so close to the uni haha. I guess it's up to you 🙂
Original post by Kentinho99
Yeah sure i mean they will charge ypu rent for the accommodation which when being at home can make a huge difference. I mean you gain independence sure costs more living at uni accommodation. I mean it's helpful living so close to the uni haha. I guess it's up to you 🙂

Thank you!
My parents are planning to move possibly away from the uni and I am worried if I apply will I get rejected because I live so near to the uni?
Also, can I apply for accomodation, accept it and then do not take it up?
Futhermore, how does the student finance work - do I have to say that I will be staying in accomodation or staying at home?
Yes you can apply for accommodation, if you accept and sign the contract, no you can not just give it up, and finally if you are living in accomodation then of course that is what you tell student finance. If you then change your mind you have to notify them straight away because it influences the amount they are prepared to lend you.
Thank you!
My parents are planning to move possibly away from the uni and I am worried if I apply will I get rejected because I live so near to the uni?
Futhermore, how does the student finance work - do I have to say that I will be staying in accomodation or staying at home?

With student finance you have to say whether you are living at home or in the uni accommodation yes. If you say at home your maintenance loan for like buying things is lower as you won't be paying rent to the uni however it will be more if you are living in the university accommodation as you will be paying rent to the uni. Legally if you get offered a place at the uni accommodation you get given a contract to sign and return to the uni saying that you will be staying in uni accommodation and then you will legally have to spend time in the accommodation however the time you spend in your accommodation is up to you but if you are paying all that rent I'd say you would want to stay in the accommodation for as long as possible throughout the year. Yeah uni accommodation can be great but it can also be not too good I mean not worth the money. But independence can be a great thing its character building. Hey just out of curiosity which uni is it?
Original post by Nobody2u
Yes you can apply for accommodation, if you accept and sign the contract, no you can not just give it up, and finally if you are living in accomodation then of course that is what you tell student finance. If you then change your mind you have to notify them straight away because it influences the amount they are prepared to lend you.

Thank you
I will not sign the contract until I know for certain then if I am staying in accomodation or not :smile:
Original post by Kentinho99
With student finance you have to say whether you are living at home or in the uni accommodation yes. If you say at home your maintenance loan for like buying things is lower as you won't be paying rent to the uni however it will be more if you are living in the university accommodation as you will be paying rent to the uni. Legally if you get offered a place at the uni accommodation you get given a contract to sign and return to the uni saying that you will be staying in uni accommodation and then you will legally have to spend time in the accommodation however the time you spend in your accommodation is up to you but if you are paying all that rent I'd say you would want to stay in the accommodation for as long as possible throughout the year. Yeah uni accommodation can be great but it can also be not too good I mean not worth the money. But independence can be a great thing its character building. Hey just out of curiosity which uni is it?

Thank you :smile:
Derby uni
I will apply then but not sign the contract until I know for sure
I will also talk to my sixth form about the situation and see if they can help me more
Derby uni
I will also talk to my sixth form about the situation and see if they can help me more

I would ask but unless they actually say on the website that you can't live nearby, it will be OK.
You'll need to ask the university in question (after having read the relevant bits of their website since they might have answered the question already). Some give preference to people who live further away and, since they don't have enough accommodation for everyone, if you live nearby you are pretty much guaranteed not to get any. Some expect everyone to live in university accommodation regardless of how close your family home is.

I'm not sure how you expect your sixth form to help?
Original post by skylark2
You'll need to ask the university in question (after having read the relevant bits of their website since they might have answered the question already). Some give preference to people who live further away and, since they don't have enough accommodation for everyone, if you live nearby you are pretty much guaranteed not to get any. Some expect everyone to live in university accommodation regardless of how close your family home is.

I'm not sure how you expect your sixth form to help?

Thank you
I will ask them - have booked an open day in Jan so that would be good
My sixth form have been providing us help with applications etctera and I know that last year they gave advice to 2021 cohort about accomodation and funding
Derby uni

That's great to hear 🙂 and good idea
Thank you
I will ask them - have booked an open day in Jan so that would be good
My sixth form have been providing us help with applications etctera and I know that last year they gave advice to 2021 cohort about accomodation and funding

https://www.derby.ac.uk/life/accommodation/

https://www.derby.ac.uk/life/accommodation/applying/local-students/
(edited 2 years ago)
Certainly, they'll charge you rent for the accommodations, which might make a big difference when you're at home. It's convenient to be so near to the university, rest is on you to decide.
Thank you!

you won't get rejected from a uni because you live close some unis actually guarantee accommodation for all freshers. Yeah you can apply then at the last minute decide no then someone on a waiting list will get your room on student finance yes you need to say where your living because if your liveing at home you get less money.
As far as I know this isn't really a consideration. You're still paying for the accommodation so it's not like they'll turn it down, and a 30 minute drive is farther than some people I've seen. Like I'm from Greater Manchester and plenty of people go to the uni here.

Quick Reply