The Student Room Group

I'm stuck with my uni choices for law. I need help and advice.

Due to my predicted grades being AAB, most high ranking and good law unis are out of my reach. I got 5 offers, from Lancaster, Leicester, Cardiff, Northumbria University Newcastle, and Aston University Birmingham. However, Cardiff's offer was AAA which is too high I think. I also really don't want to go to uni in Lancaster or Leicester, I don't think I would like it there. Northumbria and Aston seem good, but apparently, it's hard to get a job in law after going to those. But online one site says Northumbria has graduate prospects for law of 78% and Aston has 74%, a different site says Northumbria has an employment rate for law of 87%. This doesn't seem that bad, but other threads here have advised against these unis for law as law is hard to get into unless you go to a high ranking university.

I'm not sure which unis to pick, I really don't want to go to Lancaster or Leicester, I was thinking of picking Leicester and I may do as it is ranked higher than Northumbria and Aston, but I doubt I would enjoy it there. I was hoping to go to Cardiff uni, even though I'm not that keen on it.

Lancaster said if I put it as my firm choice they would let me in with ABB rather than the standard AAA offer. Northumbria said that they would let me onto their foundation course with 80 UCAS tariff points.

Scroll to see replies

Update: the website that says Northumbria has an employment rate for law of 87% says that Aston has an employment rate for law of 90%. I'd also appreciate advice on which of the two unis is a better option to pick. Northumbria said I'd get a place on their foundation course with 80 UCAS tarriff points, so it seems like a safer option, and I would like to go to uni in Newcastle, if I could, I would love to Newcastle University but their entry requirments were too high. However, Aston seems to be ranked higher. Also, as I've said, I've heard these unis aren't good for law and that I should put Lancaster or Leicester as my firm choice, but I don't want to go to those unis but I might have to, I'm not sure.
Reply 2
Why do you not want to go to Leicester nor Lancaster?
Original post by anonymoususer04
Due to my predicted grades being AAB, most high ranking and good law unis are out of my reach. I got 5 offers, from Lancaster, Leicester, Cardiff, Northumbria University Newcastle, and Aston University Birmingham. However, Cardiff's offer was AAA which is too high I think. I also really don't want to go to uni in Lancaster or Leicester, I don't think I would like it there. Northumbria and Aston seem good, but apparently, it's hard to get a job in law after going to those. But online one site says Northumbria has graduate prospects for law of 78% and Aston has 74%, a different site says Northumbria has an employment rate for law of 87%. This doesn't seem that bad, but other threads here have advised against these unis for law as law is hard to get into unless you go to a high ranking university.

I'm not sure which unis to pick, I really don't want to go to Lancaster or Leicester, I was thinking of picking Leicester and I may do as it is ranked higher than Northumbria and Aston, but I doubt I would enjoy it there. I was hoping to go to Cardiff uni, even though I'm not that keen on it.

Lancaster said if I put it as my firm choice they would let me in with ABB rather than the standard AAA offer. Northumbria said that they would let me onto their foundation course with 80 UCAS tariff points.

All of these percentages you quote will catch anyone working in an even remotely office-related job. The actual solicitors and barristers will be fewer in number.

Worse still, the data may be collected by the university's private surveys as opposed to a state-run one, so the university could be doing any number of dodgy things with the methodology e.g. merging cohorts, selectively targeting graduates or relying on small sample sizes. It would be nice if you could link us to these claims so that others can check them for you.

You sound like you have 5 offers you don't want to take up. Which is an odd situation to find yourself in. Why did you apply to four universities you didn't want to go to and one university that has a higher offer and which you're "not very keen on"?

My suggestion would be to firm Lancaster or Cardiff.

Hi I’m currently a student at Aston University so I hope I can help with your decision!

Law at Aston Law School has been designed with modern legal practice in mind, and offers a breadth of practical experiences and real-world opportunities to bring the theoretical learning to life.

You may also want to consider whether a placement year is for you, in your third year at Aston you can undertake an integrated placement year to get real life experience. you’ll have the opportunity to undertake extended research (dissertation), take part in mooting, visit law courts, hear from guest speakers, contribute to the pro-bono law clinic or write for the Aston Student Law Review.

On this course 85% of students felt staff were good at explaining things and 73% were satisfied with their course overall.

It may be helpful for you to chat with current students on this particular course to get more of a feel for it, I have popped a link below where you can do this towards the bottom of the page!

https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/law-llb/september-2022?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rh-ucas-deadline-secondary&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JWOBhDRARIsANymNOaTCmxiChypTWwIHok75HXEVaihDI-mP-kNAa3PqkaDO2OvvvwS760aAkLPEALw_wcB

I hope this helps!

- Poppy :smile:
Original post by Aston University
Hi I’m currently a student at Aston University so I hope I can help with your decision!

Law at Aston Law School has been designed with modern legal practice in mind, and offers a breadth of practical experiences and real-world opportunities to bring the theoretical learning to life.

You may also want to consider whether a placement year is for you, in your third year at Aston you can undertake an integrated placement year to get real life experience. you’ll have the opportunity to undertake extended research (dissertation), take part in mooting, visit law courts, hear from guest speakers, contribute to the pro-bono law clinic or write for the Aston Student Law Review.

On this course 85% of students felt staff were good at explaining things and 73% were satisfied with their course overall.

It may be helpful for you to chat with current students on this particular course to get more of a feel for it, I have popped a link below where you can do this towards the bottom of the page!

https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/law-llb/september-2022?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rh-ucas-deadline-secondary&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JWOBhDRARIsANymNOaTCmxiChypTWwIHok75HXEVaihDI-mP-kNAa3PqkaDO2OvvvwS760aAkLPEALw_wcB

I hope this helps!

If there is anything more pathetic than ending up at Aston University - which seems to be based in one decrepit building in the outskirts of Birmingham? - it's trying to promote it with catchy-and-yet misleading slogans. This kind of post does not favours to your university.

Why are you hoping to go to Cardiff University if you are not that keen on it?
Firm Cardiff and insure Leicester/Lancaster as they’ll probably be in clearing accepting people with BBC is something similar.

Probably Leicester nudges it as Lancaster is the most boring place on earth lmao.
Original post by IJaguar
Why do you not want to go to Leicester nor Lancaster?

They seem kind of boring, Lancaster is quite remote and both don't have great nightlife I think. I've heard Leicester largely consists of foreign students and I worry I might not make friends and stuff. I know it seems silly lol
Original post by Augustino D
All of these percentages you quote will catch anyone working in an even remotely office-related job. The actual solicitors and barristers will be fewer in number.

Worse still, the data may be collected by the university's private surveys as opposed to a state-run one, so the university could be doing any number of dodgy things with the methodology e.g. merging cohorts, selectively targeting graduates or relying on small sample sizes. It would be nice if you could link us to these claims so that others can check them for you.

You sound like you have 5 offers you don't want to take up. Which is an odd situation to find yourself in. Why did you apply to four universities you didn't want to go to and one university that has a higher offer and which you're "not very keen on"?

My suggestion would be to firm Lancaster or Cardiff.

Okay, thanks for letting me know, if it's true than it would probably be misleading. Do you know if Northumbria and Aston have good career prospects within law? I don't want to end up not getting a training contract and job after. Cardiff seems decent, but their grade requirements are too high, if they had gave me an offer of AAB or lower I would probably put it as my firm choice. I am considering Leicester.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Aston University

I hope this helps!

I don't know whether I'd succeed in law after going to Aston due to how competitive it is, I was also thinking Northumbria might be safer as they offered a foundation place with 80 UCAS tariff points if I don't get ABB or higher for the regular course. Aston is definitely an option though.
Original post by LawStudent456
Firm Cardiff and insure Leicester/Lancaster as they’ll probably be in clearing accepting people with BBC is something similar.

Probably Leicester nudges it as Lancaster is the most boring place on earth lmao.

I would firm Cardiff but AAA is unachievable for me I think if they had offered me a place with AAB or lower I would firm it. So I might firm Leicester as it may be less boring than Lancaster lol. Also since my predicted grades are AAB, I was thinking of putting Northumbria or Aston as my insurance.
I would firm Cardiff but AAA is unachievable for me I think if they had offered me a place with AAB or lower I would firm it. So I might firm Leicester as it may be less boring than Lancaster lol. Also since my predicted grades are AAB, I was thinking of putting Northumbria or Aston as my insurance.

if AAA is unachievable for you why are you doing law?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
Why are you hoping to go to Cardiff University if you are not that keen on it?

Cardiff seems nice, I would choose it if its grade offer was lower. I wanted to go to Newcastle, Leeds, or Manchester University but their grade requirements were too high. I was limited with my predicted grades, which also reflect my ability somewhat, AAA just seems out of reach, unfortunately. That's why I said I'm not that keen on it. But I would be fine with Cardiff if its offer was lower.
Original post by tbentley403

It's what I planned to do and wanted to do. It's too late to change my mind and I don't know what else to do.
Okay, thanks for letting me know, if it's true than it would probably be misleading. Do you know if Northumbria and Aston have good career prospects within law? I don't want to end up not getting a training contract and job after. Cardiff seems decent, but their grade requirements are too high, if they had gave me an offer of AAB or lower I would probably put it as my firm choice. I am considering Leicester.

tbh, why would you apply to unis you dont even want to go to? sounds like a lack of proper research in my personal opinion. AAB is not far off from AAA that Cardiff wants, if you work hard enough you could get that AAA or even better. Reality is, if you want a good training contract and then job after, Northumbria and Aston are NOT the way to go. There is a reason why top lawyers are those from Russell Group unis, from Oxbridge to Warwick and Southampton, employeers are looking at Russell Group uni students to take on their contracts- thats the truth. Firm Cardiff and make Leicester as your insurance. I just think youre being a bit picky and not as open minded- getting 5/5 offers is not common
Original post by tbentley403

i was wondering the same thing. AAA is like the basic standard for someone wanting to do Law like myself. A*AA+ is what excellent unis want from prospective law students.
Cardiff seems nice, I would choose it if its grade offer was lower. I wanted to go to Newcastle, Leeds, or Manchester University but their grade requirements were too high. I was limited with my predicted grades, which also reflect my ability somewhat, AAA just seems out of reach, unfortunately. That's why I said I'm not that keen on it. But I would be fine with Cardiff if its offer was lower.

Newcastle is the same- AAA, so tbh your argument is a bit faulty. it seems you are more worried about the nightlife than the actual grades. why are 3 As out of your reach when you are only one A away?
It's what I planned to do and wanted to do. It's too late to change my mind and I don't know what else to do.

maybe do a foundation year or wait until clearing and see if some of the other unis you wanted to go to will take you on
Original post by anonymousKGE
maybe do a foundation year or wait until clearing and see if some of the other unis you wanted to go to will take you on

I thought you could only really do a foundation year if you are disadvantaged such as in poverty or something. I got offered a foundation year for 80 UCAS tariff points from Northumbria. Can you go through clearing if you've already applied to uni's and chosen your options? I would worry that I may get nothing or end up in a worse situation than if I chose my options from my offers.

Quick Reply

Latest