The Student Room Group

I have just finished 9 years of university... AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sasha.m
whats your advice for high school students going into cs BSc? also what do you wish you did different during your undergrad?

I don't think i can answer the first question as it is just too long.
As for the second question, there are a lot of things I would have done differently. Firstly I would have not been involved in any relationships until after I finish university. I wasted a lot of time in relationships that didn't work out and I could have spent that time enjoying my undergrad life.
if you wanted to, could you not have stayed on at the university doing research? Or is it not always that simple? surely the more the merrier for research I'd imagine? (that's my goal for after I do my masters)
Reply 62
Original post by Joshwoods01
if you wanted to, could you not have stayed on at the university doing research? Or is it not always that simple? surely the more the merrier for research I'd imagine? (that's my goal for after I do my masters)

Pipe dream for the majority of PhD holders. There is not the money nor inclination.
Original post by gjd800
Pipe dream for the majority of PhD holders. There is not the money nor inclination.

that's a shame! I didn't realise it was that difficult to get into a position like that, I assumed anyone with a PhD could go straight into it if they wanted to
Reply 64
that's a shame! I didn't realise it was that difficult to get into a position like that, I assumed anyone with a PhD could go straight into it if they wanted to

Very, very difficult

I am 3 years post-PhD and still don't have a permanent contract
Original post by gjd800
Very, very difficult

I am 3 years post-PhD and still don't have a permanent contract

oh wow!😔 would you say the changes are higher if you stay at the same uni since undergrad? Or does that not matter?
Reply 66
oh wow!😔 would you say the changes are higher if you stay at the same uni since undergrad? Or does that not matter?

Makes very little practical difference, in my experience!

I think a lot of people outside of PhD and academia don't understand what's happening behind the scenes and they make assumptions.
Original post by BeeMithcell
I think a lot of people outside of PhD and academia don't understand what's happening behind the scenes and they make assumptions.

I am unfortunately one of those people. It's a career im hoping to persue, I wasn't aware it was that difficult, but it is not something we are told while at uni (at least for me). we just get told you can have the option to stay on and work alongside the lecturers
I am unfortunately one of those people. It's a career im hoping to persue, I wasn't aware it was that difficult, but it is not something we are told while at uni (at least for me). we just get told you can have the option to stay on and work alongside the lecturers

University has given false hopes to most people. I hoenstly thought that most people came to uni to become rich when I started in 2012. Turns out the majority of people live from payslip to payslip for the rest of their lives.
University has given false hopes to most people. I hoenstly thought that most people came to uni to become rich when I started in 2012. Turns out the majority of people live from payslip to payslip for the rest of their lives.

that's a real shame!! hopefully something comes up for us All! what is it unis look for in a lecturer?
that's a real shame!! hopefully something comes up for us All! what is it unis look for in a lecturer?

There are performance metrics called the H-index which measures the number of publications you have and how frequently these publications are cited. Your H-index should be considerably higher than others that want the position. They also want someone with a wide range of academic contacts and people who have collaborated with other universities.
There are performance metrics called the H-index which measures the number of publications you have and how frequently these publications are cited. Your H-index should be considerably higher than others that want the position. They also want someone with a wide range of academic contacts and people who have collaborated with other universities.

yeah that sounds really difficult! especially if you're just starting out! how are you supposed to make lots of frequent publications? I do wonder a lot what hasn't been discovered yet and if I'd be able to make such a contribution, but I suppose I'll never know until I try
yeah that sounds really difficult! especially if you're just starting out! how are you supposed to make lots of frequent publications? I do wonder a lot what hasn't been discovered yet and if I'd be able to make such a contribution, but I suppose I'll never know until I try

I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore
whats the most interesting topic you studied during those 9 years
Original post by yeet_21
whats the most interesting topic you studied during those 9 years

It's all boring, all theoretical.
Original post by Quady
So what happened then?

Why are you so insistent on them being a troll?

whats the most boring then
Reply 78
What did you wish someone told you about PhDs before you decided to do one?

I think the fact that you regret having relationships and your academic achievements is rather sad. Life is long and is there to be lived. If you had come out at 21 got a job and were now married with a morgage and kid you would be in a different position but what makes you think you would not be thinking and now what, is this it. You could go and work in another country or another city as you are not tied down. You need to not have regrets what is done is done. Be proactive, apply for everything and something will turn up. 29 is so young.

Quick Reply

Latest