The Student Room Group

Medicine a levels?

As of now I'm taking physics, psychology and r.s at a level. I don't have any plans on what I want to do in the future but what if I wanted to go into medicine? Is it possible to go back to college and get the a level requirements for it? This is all just hypothetical, I'm just curious if you can actually do that
Yes, you should be able to go back and take the necessary A-Levels assuming you're applying for undergraduate Medicine.

You'll have to take A-Level Chemistry if you decide to take this journey.
Reply 2
Original post by Invective
Yes, you should be able to go back and take the necessary A-Levels assuming you're applying for undergraduate Medicine.

You'll have to take A-Level Chemistry if you decide to take this journey.

So it is possible to go back and get more a levels?
You can take as many A levels as you want at whatever age you like. Probably not for free, and probably not at a school (by which I mean a place where the students are under 18). But there's absolutely no rule on who can take them.
So say they went back and got Chemistry would it be counted as a retake? Since that's the only one they need to have medicine open to them, even if it's not all of them
There is a whole section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - including required subjects fro each Med School etc - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 6
Original post by _Robyn_
As of now I'm taking physics, psychology and r.s at a level. I don't have any plans on what I want to do in the future but what if I wanted to go into medicine? Is it possible to go back to college and get the a level requirements for it? This is all just hypothetical, I'm just curious if you can actually do that

As far as I know, A levels in those subjects are acceptable for Medicine at Newcastle.

Of course you need to have predicted AAA, satisfy other minimum entry requirements and would need a high UCAT score, as well as getting through a competitive interview process.

It's probably the only Med School who would accept those subjects though, so would be a speculative punt whilst considering your other options.
is right, it is possible it can be seen as a resit as med schools are unclear what they consider a resit, from what I've read they refer to the number of attempts made at the required subject so if you've made no attempt prior, I don't see how it could be seen as a resit. However, I'd recommend emailing your chosen med schools and asking them directly.

And yes, Chemistry isn't a requirement as roughly 10-12 schools don't require it, however, that's about 10/39 or so med schools. I highly recommend it as most students who pursue medicine take A-Level chemistry and not having it drastically cuts your list of where you can apply to.

Source: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest