The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2022 Watch

Hi,
Created a thread for this years pupillage round. Good luck to everyone!!

Scroll to see replies

And so it begins...! Best of luck to everybody applying :smile:
Best of luck everyone. I'll be lurking as usual to provide what guidance I can, though if you want to make sure that I see something you'll need to quote me or tag me.
Good luck everyone.
My advice is not a patch on @Crazy Jamie’s, but if anyone is looking for crime-specific guidance, I’m happy to help if I can. Good luck everyone.
(edited 2 years ago)
Happy to jump in with advice for anyone applying for family sets (specifically matrimonial finance), good luck all!
Hi all - @crazyjamie always comes through with the best advice! I echo the above in that I couldn't possibly match it, but I did apply for pupillage last year for the first time and was blessed enough to be offered a family law pupillage. If I can help let me know :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Best of luck everyone!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 8
Original post by Cereidee
Hey everyone! My first year applying this cycle. I'm very excited to experience the process. I graduated summer just gone and am currently completing an LLM in the USA. Currently applying for the Bar course at ICCA and ULAW, applying to sit the NY Bar exam in July 2022 and have applied for a middle temple scholarship AND now applying for pupillage too... whew.

The biggest hurdle I foresee (if I'm lucky enough to get far enough in the process) is attending any possible in-person interviews/completing assessed mini-pupillages. Travelling to the UK, especially during these covid times, will be very impractical and pricey. I'm hoping Chambers will be understanding of this!

I'm applying exclusively to commercial sets that also dabble in employment law in London.

Good luck to you all!

I've actually seen on a few of the openings on the Gateway that some interviews will be done via Teams or Zoom, at least the first interview.
Similarly happy to offer commercial-specific advice; please (generally) direct message me rather than tag me in posts!
The thread seems quiet so far this year...
Hi everyone.

Does it make sense to apply for pupillage if I'm first going through postgrad applications. I am applying for Oxford/Cambridge and UCL LLM. My idea was to do postgrad and then apply for pupillage.

Does that make sense? Or should I make applications for pupillage also?

(I hope I'm making sense?)
Anyone heard from Rowchester Chambers in Birmingham?
Original post by Pythian
Hi everyone.

Does it make sense to apply for pupillage if I'm first going through postgrad applications. I am applying for Oxford/Cambridge and UCL LLM. My idea was to do postgrad and then apply for pupillage.

Does that make sense? Or should I make applications for pupillage also?

(I hope I'm making sense?)

There's nothing wrong with applying for pupillage in your situation. You just need to make sure that the pupillages you're applying for are to start in 2024 so you have time to do the LLM and then the Bar course. So that will limit your options because not many are deferred for that long, but there's nothing wrong with trying to gain the experience. You shouldn't feel that it is expected though. Most in your position wouldn't start applying until this time next year at the earliest.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
There's nothing wrong with applying for pupillage in your situation. You just need to make sure that the pupillages you're applying for are to start in 2024 so you have time to do the LLM and then the Bar course. So that will limit your options because not many are deferred for that long, but there's nothing wrong with trying to gain the experience. You shouldn't feel that it is expected though. Most in your position wouldn't start applying until this time next year at the earliest.

Thank you Jamie.
I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of chambers Thomas Moore is? https://www.thomasmore.co.uk/
They seem to do a miscellany of areas. I have no interest in humans rights, crime or family -- and I'm wondering if that would be a waste of time vis-a-vis mini-pupillage.? I feel a bit confused about such a general set?
Original post by Pythian
Thank you Jamie.
I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of chambers Thomas Moore is? https://www.thomasmore.co.uk/
They seem to do a miscellany of areas. I have no interest in humans rights, crime or family -- and I'm wondering if that would be a waste of time vis-a-vis mini-pupillage.? I feel a bit confused about such a general set?

I don't know any more about them than I can read from the website. They do cover a broad range of practice areas, but in fairness the website is structured in such a way that most of their practitioners are listed as covering practice areas that they clearly do very little to no work in day to day. Looking at some of the profiles makes that clear. At the same time, there are clearly quite a few practitioners who have commercial and other practices that are not crime, family or human rights. A lot of sets will be like that and have multiple teams in different areas, it's just that in most sets the lines are more clearly defined than on that website. So I don't think it would be a waste of time applying for a mini pupillage there. You could end up seeing something that doesn't interest you, but in a set of 50+ barristers in a range of practice areas that's always a possibility. You'll likely be asked given the range of work that the set does whether you do have a particular interest in certain practice areas, and I'm sure they'll try to accommodate that if they can. So yeah, I'd say it's worth an application.
What are key competency questions to prepare for in interview?
Original post by Batman10
What are key competency questions to prepare for in interview?

It's not possible to provide a definitive list, because every set is different. If you just Google "pupillage interview questions" you'll get a lot of websites giving limited examples. I'd make sure you can answer all of them, even if it's just reading them, having a think, and practising an answer in front of your laptop for each one. So we're clear, the aim of that is not to make sure you have every possible answer to every question memorised. The aim is to get you used to thinking the right way for competency based questions. Your ability to come up with good examples and answers will depend on your own skills and experience, as well as how well informed you are generally on matters such as current legal issues, particular areas of law you might want to practise in, and the set you're interviewing at.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
It's not possible to provide a definitive list, because every set is different. If you just Google "pupillage interview questions" you'll get a lot of websites giving limited examples. I'd make sure you can answer all of them, even if it's just reading them, having a think, and practising an answer in front of your laptop for each one. So we're clear, the aim of that is not to make sure you have every possible answer to every question memorised. The aim is to get you used to thinking the right way for competency based questions. Your ability to come up with good examples and answers will depend on your own skills and experience, as well as how well informed you are generally on matters such as current legal issues, particular areas of law you might want to practise in, and the set you're interviewing at.

This is fantastic advice- many thanks I’m very grateful!!
Hiya, I was just wondering if anyone had got a confirmation email after they have submitted a gateway application? I remember that last year I go one after I clicked submit but I haven't this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending