The Student Room Group

Spotting after skipping a period with bc

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience when skipping/delaying their period/s with birth control.

I am currently using the evra patch and have had a very positive experience with it for the past few years. How it works, is you apply the sticker or patch once every week on the same day, for 3 weeks and then at the end of the third week, you take the patch off and have a 'withdrawal' bleed. Which is essentially your period, except often lighter and shorter, just like the combined pill.

This past cycle, Instead of having the week off for my period, I stuck on the first patch of my next packet of patches and started the cycle again, not having a period. I am now mid way through that 3rd week and I have been spotting, so, light bleeding since Saturday, a week before my actual period is due, which I intend to have.

I know that spotting is common for birth control, especially when just starting it or when forgetting to take/put on. But, I've never tried skipping a cycle before and I've never had any spotting, so it is making me a little bit anxious. My thoughts are that it's just last month and this months lining deciding it needs to clean out and my body is a bit confused after having a constant flow of hormones for 6 weeks and I'm just seeking some reassurance really. I only ask about this because I have crippling health anxiety and I'm sure there's someone on this forum who's been through the same or who knows whether the spotting is normal.

The spotting is light pink, sometimes red and mixed with stringy discharge that I would usually get before a period.

Please let me know if you have any answers and thank you for your help :smile:
Spotting can definitely happen normally on birth control, and skipping a withdrawl bleed, anecdotally, does make it more likely (this is the reason people are typically advised to have a withdrawl bleed every 3 cycles, to avoid spotting)

I'd speak to your doctor though if you're worried if that will help reassure you - sometimes we just need to hear it from the health professional :smile:
Original post by deleine02
Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience when skipping/delaying their period/s with birth control.

I am currently using the evra patch and have had a very positive experience with it for the past few years. How it works, is you apply the sticker or patch once every week on the same day, for 3 weeks and then at the end of the third week, you take the patch off and have a 'withdrawal' bleed. Which is essentially your period, except often lighter and shorter, just like the combined pill.

This past cycle, Instead of having the week off for my period, I stuck on the first patch of my next packet of patches and started the cycle again, not having a period. I am now mid way through that 3rd week and I have been spotting, so, light bleeding since Saturday, a week before my actual period is due, which I intend to have.

I know that spotting is common for birth control, especially when just starting it or when forgetting to take/put on. But, I've never tried skipping a cycle before and I've never had any spotting, so it is making me a little bit anxious. My thoughts are that it's just last month and this months lining deciding it needs to clean out and my body is a bit confused after having a constant flow of hormones for 6 weeks and I'm just seeking some reassurance really. I only ask about this because I have crippling health anxiety and I'm sure there's someone on this forum who's been through the same or who knows whether the spotting is normal.

The spotting is light pink, sometimes red and mixed with stringy discharge that I would usually get before a period.

Please let me know if you have any answers and thank you for your help :smile:

Breakthrough bleeding bleeding or spotting between periods is common when you use hormonal birth control to delay or prevent periods, especially during the first few months. Breakthrough bleeding typically decreases over time, however, as your body adjusts to the new regimen.

Why am I Spotting with patches.....
bleeding between periods (breakthrough bleeding) and spotting (very light, irregular bleeding) is common in the first few cycles of using the patch this is nothing to worry about if you're using it properly and you'll still be protected against pregnancy.

Is spotting normal on the patch.......
During the first few months while your body is adjusting to the contraceptive patch, you may have some vaginal bleeding in addition to the usual bleeding during your patch-free week. This is not serious but can be a nuisance. It may vary from spotting to a heavier loss like a light period. Do not stop using your patch

What do pregnancy spotting look like.......
Many people who spot during pregnancy go on to deliver a healthy baby. Spotting is when you see a light or trace amount of pink, red, or dark brown (rust-colored) blood. You may notice spotting when you use the restroom or see a few drops of blood on your underwear.

If you are worried at anytime about things you not sure about then phone up your GP or talk to your local chemist pharmacist about it.

Birth control method can take upto 3 months for your body to get use to it being in your system .

It sounds like things are going normal with it but again any worries then speak to your GP or local chemist pharmacist okay.

I'm a NHS registered midwife. I will leave the more experience advice to your GP ok.
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
Spotting can definitely happen normally on birth control, and skipping a withdrawl bleed, anecdotally, does make it more likely (this is the reason people are typically advised to have a withdrawl bleed every 3 cycles, to avoid spotting)

I'd speak to your doctor though if you're worried if that will help reassure you - sometimes we just need to hear it from the health professional :smile:

Thank you very much for your reply, it was very reassuring, helpful and understanding 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Breakthrough bleeding bleeding or spotting between periods is common when you use hormonal birth control to delay or prevent periods, especially during the first few months. Breakthrough bleeding typically decreases over time, however, as your body adjusts to the new regimen.

Why am I Spotting with patches.....
bleeding between periods (breakthrough bleeding) and spotting (very light, irregular bleeding) is common in the first few cycles of using the patch this is nothing to worry about if you're using it properly and you'll still be protected against pregnancy.

Is spotting normal on the patch.......
During the first few months while your body is adjusting to the contraceptive patch, you may have some vaginal bleeding in addition to the usual bleeding during your patch-free week. This is not serious but can be a nuisance. It may vary from spotting to a heavier loss like a light period. Do not stop using your patch

What do pregnancy spotting look like.......
Many people who spot during pregnancy go on to deliver a healthy baby. Spotting is when you see a light or trace amount of pink, red, or dark brown (rust-colored) blood. You may notice spotting when you use the restroom or see a few drops of blood on your underwear.

If you are worried at anytime about things you not sure about then phone up your GP or talk to your local chemist pharmacist about it.

Birth control method can take upto 3 months for your body to get use to it being in your system .

It sounds like things are going normal with it but again any worries then speak to your GP or local chemist pharmacist okay.

I'm a NHS registered midwife. I will leave the more experience advice to your GP ok.

Thank you very much for your advice, it was very helpful and informative 😊
Thank you very much for your advice, it was very helpful and informative 😊

Hi
Your are welcome for advice.
Its best I can give you as with the knowledge I know ok, as otherwise you'll need to seek further medical advice from your GP or local pharmacist okay.
Thank you very much for your reply, it was very reassuring, helpful and understanding 😊

Glad we could help :smile: fingers crossed this gets sorted for you soon!

Quick Reply

Latest