The Student Room Group

lonely at university

mainly because most events are limited to online events

miss sixthform and being with people everyday

just me?

Scroll to see replies

I doubt it's just you

Just try to do stuff that isn't currently restricted, like go to the park or cinema
Reply 2
Original post by Jonathanツ
I doubt it's just you

Just try to do stuff that isn't currently restricted, like go to the park or cinema

none of my friends want to go out
ive suggested it a few times

i did go to one event which was pretty fun
just miss being with people and talking
thanks
Original post by Anonymous
none of my friends want to go out
ive suggested it a few times

i did go to one event which was pretty fun
just miss being with people and talking
thanks

Sounds more like you have a friends problem, I would look for some new ones

The new spiderman is really good btw
Hmm, most people don't like going out in the winter, or your friends might just be ****. I feel lonely in Sixth Form, I'm surprised that I haven't seen many threads regarding Sixth Form students feeling this way. Worried for University, hope it gets better.
Reply 5
Original post by Jonathanツ
Sounds more like you have a friends problem, I would look for some new ones

The new spiderman is really good btw

i went to the event alone :lol:
yeah spiderman wouldve been fun :tongue:

Original post by 828582686989
Hmm, most people don't like going out in the winter, or your friends might just be ****. I feel lonely in Sixth Form, I'm surprised that I haven't seen many threads regarding Sixth Form students feeling this way. Worried for University, hope it gets better.

i feel sorry for people in school, best time was at school cant really joke about on zoom
Reply 6
What societies are you part of? I agree education wise it's mostly online which isn't great but every society I know has been running in person things almost every week. If you don't have any then try some that sound interesting, at least you'll talk to people and possibly enjoy it.
Reply 7
Original post by Max1989
What societies are you part of? I agree education wise it's mostly online which isn't great but every society I know has been running in person things almost every week. If you don't have any then try some that sound interesting, at least you'll talk to people and possibly enjoy it.

the societies ive joined do something once a month :s-smilie: but hopefully in the new year there's more stuff to attend to meet new people :smile:
Reply 8
the societies ive joined do something once a month :s-smilie: but hopefully in the new year there's more stuff to attend to meet new people :smile:

Oh strange unless you do something like sky diving or skiing, prehaps you could try something else if you have the free time or suggest they do something a bit more weekly. Or just meet up with people there. I feel at uni you really do have to put effort into communicating with people your needs, it's quite easy to be a ghost, but people will listen to you if you speak up if you feel something isn't right. So speak up, the worst thing they can say is no, but the chance of it being a yes is higher.
Reply 9
Original post by Max1989
Oh strange unless you do something like sky diving or skiing, prehaps you could try something else if you have the free time or suggest they do something a bit more weekly. Or just meet up with people there. I feel at uni you really do have to put effort into communicating with people your needs, it's quite easy to be a ghost, but people will listen to you if you speak up if you feel something isn't right. So speak up, the worst thing they can say is no, but the chance of it being a yes is higher.

yeah true, hopefully this semester is a bit more engaging :biggrin: thanks x

just me?

Hi,

This is completely normal, I was in the same boat as you back in my 1st Year. I only really started getting solid friends half-way through 2nd semester - after my classmates got comfortable and when I hopped from society to society.

Hope this helps,

- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

just me?

just you babe. u stay safe though. your experience at sixth form sounds frightening. hope your doing better xD
just you babe. u stay safe though. your experience at sixth form sounds frightening. hope your doing better xD

:rofl:
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi,

This is completely normal, I was in the same boat as you back in my 1st Year. I only really started getting solid friends half-way through 2nd semester - after my classmates got comfortable and when I hopped from society to society.

Hope this helps,

- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

thanks! hope so x

just me?

which uni are you at? I feel the same. I feel worse when I see people doing things I want to do but I can't cuz I haven't been able to meet the right people yet
which uni are you at? I feel the same. I feel worse when I see people doing things I want to do but I can't cuz I haven't been able to meet the right people yet

one of the London unis
Same
Also feel like I picked the wrong uni idk
one of the London unis
Same

london unis are so fun tho and there's so much to do in london. maybe go to some societies or join a sport and then go out with them
london unis are so fun tho and there's so much to do in london. maybe go to some societies or join a sport and then go out with them

im going to a london uni. you lying or something?
Reply 18
one of the London unis
Same

I’ve been feeling the same way! I go to a London uni too. I feel like I should’ve gone to a campus uni
(edited 2 years ago)
one of the London unis
Same

Very common for people who move from outside London to go to uni in London and then end up feeling lonely. Going from big fish small pond to small fish big pond. Happens a lot and I've seen similar issues to yours since way before there was a pandemic.

Why do you feel like you chose the wrong uni? Is it because of the city or there are other places you considered but decided against? Most likely you're part of University of London which means you can attend events with any other uni's in the group if you aren't finding things you like at your own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending