The Student Room Group

Can you give me a mark out of 16 for this psychology essay

The strange situation by Mary Ainsworth is used to determine and analyse attachment behaviour and types. The strange situation is conducted from 8 episodes where stranger anxiety, separation anxiety and reunion behaviour is tested. The observers analyse the movement every 15 seconds using five behavioural categories and measure the intensity of the action on a scale from 1-7.
The study discovered three types of attachment: secure, insecure avoidant and insecure resistant. Securely attached children use their caregiver as a secure base to explore from. They show some stranger and separation anxiety but are easily comforted by a caregiver. Insecure avoidant children do not need the support of the caregiver to explore and do not have any separation anxiety. They avoid social interaction and intimacy. Insecurely resistant children resist and seek social interaction. They have low levels of exploratory behaviour and become very distressed due to high levels of separation and stranger anxiety. They aren’t comforted by their caregiver easily.

One strength of the strange situation is it has real world application. The findings of the study may help intervene in children’s lives so that they can form secure attachment. In the circle of security project by the Cooper et al study, they taught the caregivers how to recognise signs of infants distress. As a result, more children were securely attached and less caregivers were recognised as disordered. The helps improve the lives of children as they will have better strength of relationship with their caregivers.

A limitation of the study, is that it may not analyse the type of attachment properly. According to Main and Weston, the children reacted differently in the strange situation when they were with different parents. Due to this, the strange situation may not determine the attachment type of the child, but the quality of a singular relationship. Therefore this effects the internal validity of the study.

A strength of the study is that its findings are very reliable. The study had .94 inter-observer reliability. This means that the observers of the study almost always agreed with the findings. Therefore, the study’s findings have a high chance of accuracy and reliability. This means that the strange situation is a good way of analysing attachment behaviours and determining attachment types.

Another limitation of the study is it may not provide a complete explanation of all attachment types. Main and Solomon discovered a fourth type of attachment insecure disorganised that is not categorised in the original Ainsworth study. Insecure disorganised attachment included a mix of avoidant and secure behaviours. Due to this, the strange situation may not be able to determine all attachment types competently.

The strange situation is good source for measuring attachment behaviour and three types of attachment types. However it suffers from validity issues which questions the accuracy of the study.
Reply 1
I would probably give it about around a 13/16 (but it does depend on the examiner, I'm just doing this based off what I have learnt). I think for evaluation you should do one point and then include a counterpoint within that evaluation point. For example,

One limitation of the study is that it has low ecological validity as the study took place in a controlled playroom. This may mean that instead of measuring attachment Ainsworth was measuring the baby's response to an unfamiliar setting. However, as it was a controlled observation it is easy to replicate. Therefore, the study has low ecological validity as it was controlled and can't be generalised to real life.
Don't post essays online.
a) other people can just copy your work amd pass it off as their own.
b) if your school uses any form of plagarism software to check your work, it will immediatly get flagged.
Original post by HWAP0P
I would probably give it about around a 13/16 (but it does depend on the examiner, I'm just doing this based off what I have learnt). I think for evaluation you should do one point and then include a counterpoint within that evaluation point. For example,

One limitation of the study is that it has low ecological validity as the study took place in a controlled playroom. This may mean that instead of measuring attachment Ainsworth was measuring the baby's response to an unfamiliar setting. However, as it was a controlled observation it is easy to replicate. Therefore, the study has low ecological validity as it was controlled and can't be generalised to real life.

Okay am I understanding this right. So make one of my 3 AO3 points an evaluation where I show both sides of the argument within it. Thankyou for the advice I appreciate it
Original post by McGinger
Don't post essays online.
a) other people can just copy your work amd pass it off as their own.
b) if your school uses any form of plagarism software to check your work, it will immediatly get flagged.

Do you know if there is anywhere I can send essays off to to get marked my teachers wont do it because they're too busy
Reply 5
Original post by studentalana8
Okay am I understanding this right. So make one of my 3 AO3 points an evaluation where I show both sides of the argument within it. Thankyou for the advice I appreciate it

I'm also doing attachment and that's what I got taught. My teachers said that it make it more developed and detailed and can help put you in a higher level band so you get more marks.
Original post by HWAP0P
I'm also doing attachment and that's what I got taught. My teachers said that it make it more developed and detailed and can help put you in a higher level band so you get more marks.

how do I make it more detailed? Im using the textbook and that's all I've been taught. I don't really know how to put the extra detail in because I can't find many resources
Reply 7
To be honest my teachers helped me a lot but the evaluation points that we were taught were
good interobserver reliability - also the behaviour categories are easy to observe
results of the strange situation have stayed reliable over time - strange situation has high temporal validity
4th attachment type - challenges Ainsworth, results can be questioned - however, the 4th attachment type overlaps two attachment types so not easy to spot
limitations of the method - low ecological validity - controlled setting - however the study is easy to replicate and limits effects of extraneous variables
low population validity - research is culturally biased - focusses on western parenting - however it was a large sample - but results can only be generalised to American mothers.
ethical issues - causes emotional distress to baby and potentially mother - however it has provided psychology with important research - research is also socially sensitive as it blames the mother for the child's attachment type.

I got told to only include counters if they fit my evaluation point but I hope what I've given has helped.
Are you getting A grades for the esaays they do mark?
Reply 9
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I am getting grade A on my essays. The lowest mark I had on my psychology essays so far is 13/16

Quick Reply

Latest