The Student Room Group

Who has done a GDL or a MA LAW conversion?Please reccomend readings or documentaries

Hello,
I am not the brightest but i believe if i do some reading before my course in september 2022 it may help.
If you are a GDL or MA Law conversion student please reccomend readings, books, documentaries I should watch to help me on the main areas of law.
How shall i prepare myself?
does law require good memory and for u to be super clever? cys i have neither due to my brain injury and im naturally not very smart
Original post by xbaby
Hello,
I am not the brightest but i believe if i do some reading before my course in september 2022 it may help.
If you are a GDL or MA Law conversion student please reccomend readings, books, documentaries I should watch to help me on the main areas of law.
How shall i prepare myself?
does law require good memory and for u to be super clever? cys i have neither due to my brain injury and im naturally not very smart

Hi xbaby

One of my biggest tips to succeed in law is to sign up to LinkedIn and start to follow the firms or chambers in different areas covered by your course and in the areas that you hope to practice. Many of them post webinars or events that you can go to about recent legal developments. They are worth signing up for. (Some advertise through Twitter and Facebook too or on their events sections on their websites.)

Also sign up to this legal awareness email service- it's free and you don't need to be a member: https://www.innertemplelibrary.com/about/subscribing-and-reusing/

Other books to help but are interesting to read are:
The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and how it is broken
The Secret Barrister: Fake Law
Helena Kennedy: Eve was framed

(I'm training to be a barrister so they are a barrister focus but give you a good insight into the court system)

Start looking at work experience opportunities too. The earlier the better. Get to know law firms that you are interested in- the people and their cases. Read their cases. The more cases you read, the more you will find them easier to follow as you get used to the language.

Once you start, try to set up or join a course WhatsApp- your course mates will be your biggest help!

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending