The Student Room Group

Anna vs A-Levels and other catastrophes - yr13

Hi! so I am doing A-Level Biology, Chemistry and German. I thought people were being dramatic when they said Yr13 was hell but surprise surprise... it's currently feeling very 7th circle of hell.

I have mocks Jan 24-29th and now they actually count (cheers covid). I am really hoping this will motivate me to do more revision and reach my target of AAA (A*s are out of the question tbh).

Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas holiday :smile:
you've got this! I'd spend as much of these few weeks as you can just hammering past papers and practice questions! rewrite notes on any topic you feel is holding you back and find as many questions related to that topic as you can!

good luck!
Original post by Joshwoods01
you've got this! I'd spend as much of these few weeks as you can just hammering past papers and practice questions! rewrite notes on any topic you feel is holding you back and find as many questions related to that topic as you can!

good luck!

Happy (naturally) late New year! I have managed to do absolutely no revision. Yay go me! I did however manage to nearly finish off my application to American Universities and dodge covid.

I am gonna try and do 1hr30mins of German grammar. I will let you know whether I actually manage this one.
Original post by annamoore17
Hi! so I am doing A-Level Biology, Chemistry and German. I thought people were being dramatic when they said Yr13 was hell but surprise surprise... it's currently feeling very 7th circle of hell.

I have mocks Jan 24-29th and now they actually count (cheers covid). I am really hoping this will motivate me to do more revision and reach my target of AAA (A*s are out of the question tbh).

Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas holiday :smile:

Mocks have always been a significant part of prep for the summer exams ...
Original post by Muttley79
Mocks have always been a significant part of prep for the summer exams ...

Yeah I know. What I mean is that now if exams are cancelled, my results in these mocks will be my actual A-Level results.
Yeah I know. What I mean is that now if exams are cancelled, my results in these mocks will be my actual A-Level results.

They won't be cancelled ... and no they won't as it has to be more than one result.
They won't be cancelled ... and no they won't as it has to be more than one result.

I hope they won't be too but no one can know for sure. My sixth form has split it so I have 3 sets of mocks and do a paper in each one. So I am doing Paper 1 for Biology on the 24th and then I will do Paper 2 and 3 in the other sets.
I hope they won't be too but no one can know for sure. My sixth form has split it so I have 3 sets of mocks and do a paper in each one. So I am doing Paper 1 for Biology on the 24th and then I will do Paper 2 and 3 in the other sets.

No they have interpeted the guidance incorrectly ... you can't give a grade on one paper.
No they have interpeted the guidance incorrectly ... you can't give a grade on one paper.

Really? Thanks for telling me lol. I think I am probably still going to treat it like it is actually 30% of my grade just in case.
Really? Thanks for telling me lol. I think I am probably still going to treat it like it is actually 30% of my grade just in case.

Exams will not be cancelled - you cannot go to university having sat NO externally marked exams.

Inflated A levels as well as GCSEs won't do your cohort a favour.
So cheeky update. I am finally finished with all my US uni applications :smile:. Sixth Form started on Thursday again and it is actually nice to be back in school even with all the covid rules back. I got back my first attempt at a shortened version of the synoptic essay and I got 19/25! I don't have a lot of homework to do this weekend which means I can get some more revision done and go through my notes.

I am still waiting to hear back from QUB and Leicester for Medicine but I found out that I have an unconditional offer for Human Biosciences at Plymouth!! It is actually very motivating and comforting to know that I can definitely go to uni next year.

My goals for revision this weekend are:

Revise the subjunctive

Start a mind map on Illiteracy in Der Vorleser

Revise Periodicity

Finish my notes on Action Potential

Make a quizlet of key essay phrases and vocab

File and organise my notes & revision notes

Hope everyone has had a good week
Exams will not be cancelled - you cannot go to university having sat NO externally marked exams.

Inflated A levels as well as GCSEs won't do your cohort a favour.

Yeah I know I can't. Especially because exams are so much harder and there is a lot less actual preparation time with lectures and coursework. I am just going to treat these mocks as if they were really 30% of my grade to motivate myself to get the grades I want.

Quick Reply

Latest