The Student Room Group

What happens if you don't do well in Year 13 Mocks

I'm worried about Covid, what would happen if exams got cancelled? Would it be only based on the mocks?
What if exams weren't cancelled, then what are the mocks used for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STPZ
I'm worried about Covid, what would happen if exams got cancelled? Would it be only based on the mocks?

If exams aren't cancelled, mocks are used as mocks, a practice run to see how you far in exam conditions with all the same situations as your real A-levels. Each school will use different assessment methods if exams are cancelled, mine aren't using mocks.
Original post by STPZ

some might use mocks as a way of assessing your final grade. at my college, mocks were used as well as an exam at home (without the cameras on stupidly enough lmao).

there's also other ways they may assess you, even if it's just through quick tests before/after half terms. it depends on what you've been told.
Reply 3
Original post by ellheehee
some might use mocks as a way of assessing your final grade. at my college, mocks were used as well as an exam at home (without the cameras on stupidly enough lmao).

there's also other ways they may assess you, even if it's just through quick tests before/after half terms. it depends on what you've been told.

Was yours like 50% mocks or more or less? Idk if I should be thinking that exams will be cancelled or not this year I'm so lost in knowing what to do
Original post by STPZ
Was yours like 50% mocks or more or less? Idk if I should be thinking that exams will be cancelled or not this year I'm so lost in knowing what to do

i think so? something like that. we were told these exams coming up this week are going towards our grades in case covid DOES happen.

pretty sure it was like 50% mocks and then seeing what students could do over tests online/before terms.

i'm pretty scared too, i want a lockdown but i'm not prepared at all for mocks but it's looking unlikely! :smile:
Reply 5
i think so? something like that. we were told these exams coming up this week are going towards our grades in case covid DOES happen.

pretty sure it was like 50% mocks and then seeing what students could do over tests online/before terms.

i'm pretty scared too, i want a lockdown but i'm not prepared at all for mocks but it's looking unlikely! :smile:

I'm really worried about these mocks because honestly I think Covid is really bad so if they do cancel exams and we mess this up then you know what :frown:
I don't think they will put a lockdown, at max they will only put restrictions but keep schools open. I hate that but it's whats going to happen because theres high cases but low deaths
Reply 6
Original post by CatInTheCorner
If exams aren't cancelled, mocks are used as mocks, a practice run to see how you far in exam conditions with all the same situations as your real A-levels. Each school will use different assessment methods if exams are cancelled, mine aren't using mocks.

What are yours using?
(edited 2 years ago)
ea

Original post by STPZ
I'm really worried about these mocks because honestly I think Covid is really bad so if they do cancel exams and we mess this up then you know what :frown:
I don't think they will put a lockdown, at max they will only put restrictions but keep schools open. I hate that but it's whats going to happen because theres high cases but low deaths

yeah i feel the exact same, i messed up my last year's set of mocks so i'm feeling the pressure now. what are your predicted grades?

yeah, it's just a whole lot of high cases which is certainly better than low deaths, but there was talk of a circuit breaker after the holidays i swear, so maybe he's making us do mocks and then close schools/high populated places for 2 weeks or so.
Original post by Rara345
What are yours using?

They're essentially going to have us sit in-school A-levels
Reply 9
ea

yeah i feel the exact same, i messed up my last year's set of mocks so i'm feeling the pressure now. what are your predicted grades?

yeah, it's just a whole lot of high cases which is certainly better than low deaths, but there was talk of a circuit breaker after the holidays i swear, so maybe he's making us do mocks and then close schools/high populated places for 2 weeks or so.

AAA Just managed to get well last year but I need to up my grade in chemistry, I only have a few days to do it though because my mocks start end of this week, that's why im starting to panic. Hope you do well too.

It would suck if they did a lockdown after mocks because different schools do them at different times, and covid cases are really bad right now too.
Reply 10
They're essentially going to have us sit in-school A-levels

Aren't they basically just the mocks? I thought the mocks were literally what it's like to sit your A-levels
Original post by STPZ
Aren't they basically just the mocks? I thought the mocks were literally what it's like to sit your A-levels

Sit the exams in the summer, to assess us as late as possible. Esentially in school a-levels :smile:
Original post by STPZ
AAA Just managed to get well last year but I need to up my grade in chemistry, I only have a few days to do it though because my mocks start end of this week, that's why im starting to panic. Hope you do well too.

It would suck if they did a lockdown after mocks because different schools do them at different times, and covid cases are really bad right now too.

you'll get that grade for sure! i read it's best to prioritise the topics you're weakest on and if you need to cram, make sure you snack consistently and get a 5 minute break every 20-30 minutes especially if you're staring at a screen!

it would definitely suck, but it'd make sense. he also said he'd close bars/pubs but haven't heard anything about that since. i want a circuit breaker purely because the rates are so high
Reply 13
Sit the exams in the summer, to assess us as late as possible. Esentially in school a-levels :smile:

Ahh okay, that's good that they give you more time to prepare yourselves. Idk what's gonna happen this year but we will see
Reply 14
you'll get that grade for sure! i read it's best to prioritise the topics you're weakest on and if you need to cram, make sure you snack consistently and get a 5 minute break every 20-30 minutes especially if you're staring at a screen!

it would definitely suck, but it'd make sense. he also said he'd close bars/pubs but haven't heard anything about that since. i want a circuit breaker purely because the rates are so high

I hope you do well. If your mocks are soon we just have to up our game and work harder for now. It's hard but soon it will be over, 3-4 months have already gone by and we only have 3-4 more
is it bad that i really want a lockdown, how likely do you think it is?
Original post by STPZ
I hope you do well. If your mocks are soon we just have to up our game and work harder for now. It's hard but soon it will be over, 3-4 months have already gone by and we only have 3-4 more

i have one on the 5th and i'm freaking out LMAO.

i know! i'm so excited for that long break only for it to be worse 100000x at uni haha
Reply 17
Original post by aliyah.04x

I think they are trying to keep schools open, so they might put restrictions on other things. i want schools to close because covid rates are high and because of mocks, but I doubt it will happen
Original post by aliyah.04x

Not likely for year 13s and 11s
Maybe for other years but even then I think chances are quite low, possibly by school if teacher absences are very high but overall I don’t think it’s that likely.
Reply 19
i have one on the 5th and i'm freaking out LMAO.

i know! i'm so excited for that long break only for it to be worse 100000x at uni haha

Good luck! Mines on the 7th so I have a bit longer, but try your best on this one, hopefully we can do well on them!

Quick Reply

Latest