The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships and future

I’m currently 2months into an apprenticeship in welding and fabrication and I just can’t see me doing this in the future and it’s quite difficult. I’m 19 nearly 20 and I know that’s still young but I feel my option are running out. Apprenticeships will stop wanting people. I don’t think unis for me and I don’t want a normal paid job. I don’t know what I want to do I need help
When I was 17 I took an apprenticeship in UC (unified communications… basically IT) and I was in your shoes. I couldn’t see myself doing it forever and had a feeling I wanted to do something else. I stuck with it though and now 25, managing a team in an IT support company, My advise is to stick with it for now and look around and keep your options open, whilst being paid to learn a trade 👌🏻 Perks of being young is you can complete the apprenticeship and move to something else afterwards :smile:

Oh and don’t think that they will stop hiring people for apprenticeships, companies are always looking because it’s kinda a cheaper option for them and also they get government grants, so there will always be places hiring! Just keep an eye out and your find something 👍🏻
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Imsomeone96
When I was 17 I took an apprenticeship in UC (unified communications… basically IT) and I was in your shoes. I couldn’t see myself doing it forever and had a feeling I wanted to do something else. I stuck with it though and now 25, managing a team in an IT support company, My advise is to stick with it for now and look around and keep your options open, whilst being paid to learn a trade 👌🏻 Perks of being young is you can complete the apprenticeship and move to something else afterwards :smile:

Thanks for the comment. I just don’t enjoy it at all and I don’t care anymore. I just don’t wanna waste time. I get work isn’t fun anyway but it shouldn’t be like this
Original post by Clerko
Thanks for the comment. I just don’t enjoy it at all and I don’t care anymore. I just don’t wanna waste time. I get work isn’t fun anyway but it shouldn’t be like this

Fully get where you coming from mate. One thing I can say is don’t leave it just yet until you have something else in place… that will mess with your mind if you struggle to find something which can happen (I’ve been there) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending