The Student Room Group

History coursework

Hi im currently trying to write my history course work for AQA and was wondering if any body could help me ? my question is that Johnson made the most significant progress for civil rights than the other presidents from 1865-1965. Im not even sure where to start if anyone could help me ?
Has your school provided you with any sources / historians to look at, or do they want you to find everything yourself? I do the edexcel history course, and know nothing about your topic, but I might be able to answer any other questions you might have.
Reply 2
Original post by Wibble04
Has your school provided you with any sources / historians to look at, or do they want you to find everything yourself? I do the edexcel history course, and know nothing about your topic, but I might be able to answer any other questions you might have.

were doing it in chunks. were just putting the information in first.
Just checking whether this is A Level or GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Just checking whether this is A Level or GCSE?

A LEVEL
Original post by Jasminemiax
Hi im currently trying to write my history course work for AQA and was wondering if any body could help me ? my question is that Johnson made the most significant progress for civil rights than the other presidents from 1865-1965. Im not even sure where to start if anyone could help me ?

Surely you should increase the date range a little bit up to maybe 1968?
If you do that you can mention his Fair Housing Act and some more stuff on affirmative action.
Reply 6
Original post by ManuelPearsonSG
Surely you should increase the date range a little bit up to maybe 1968?
If you do that you can mention his Fair Housing Act and some more stuff on affirmative action.

im not sure ?

Right, you've got 19 presidents in total between those two dates.

First of all which Johnson are you talking about, since there are two between those dates? That should be stated clearly in your question.

My advice would be to list them out and then discount 14 of them from your study because they did very little. E.g. James Garfield was in the White House for less than 1 year, not worth time in your coursework.

I'd aim for around 5 "big hitters" of presidents who have been in charge while there have been events of importance/legislation in Civil Rights.

These 5 presidents need to be from across your time period - at least one pre-1900 and at least one 1900-1930 would be my advice.
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
Right, you've got 19 presidents in total between those two dates.

First of all which Johnson are you talking about, since there are two between those dates? That should be stated clearly in your question.

My advice would be to list them out and then discount 14 of them from your study because they did very little. E.g. James Garfield was in the White House for less than 1 year, not worth time in your coursework.

I'd aim for around 5 "big hitters" of presidents who have been in charge while there have been events of importance/legislation in Civil Rights.

These 5 presidents need to be from across your time period - at least one pre-1900 and at least one 1900-1930 would be my advice.

sorry In my question its Lyndon Johnson, im starting from Lincoln. Ive been Told I have to talk about Lincoln, hoover, Roosevelt(FDR), Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and then finish with Johnson. We have to mention if they did things to help or hinder civil rights during this time.
im not sure ?

It's approximately 100 years, not exactly.
Original post by ageshallnot
It's approximately 100 years, not exactly.

thats the question ive been given
sorry In my question its Lyndon Johnson, im starting from Lincoln. I've been told I have to talk about Lincoln, hoover, Roosevelt(FDR), Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and then finish with Johnson. We have to mention if they did things to help or hinder civil rights during this time.

The bold bit isn't true. You've been advised by your teacher, you don't have to follow every word of advice as it's your coursework. I'm not entirely sure what Hoover is in there for but you may want to swap him out for, Ulysses Grant, for instance. My main concern with your advice so far is you've got every president from Hoover to LBJ and stuck Lincoln at the start for a sense of breadth but that will just be honourable mentions really.
Original post by 04MR17
The bold bit isn't true. You've been advised by your teacher, you don't have to follow every word of advice as it's your coursework. I'm not entirely sure what Hoover is in there for but you may want to swap him out for, Ulysses Grant, for instance. My main concern with your advice so far is you've got every president from Hoover to LBJ and stuck Lincoln at the start for a sense of breadth but that will just be honourable mentions really.

he doesn't have to be at the start, im comparing what he did to the others essentially
thats the question ive been given

Then ask your teacher to amend it because otherwise you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. As above, your teacher advises, not dictates.

"The Historical Investigation must... place the issue to be investigated within a context of approximately 100 years."

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/as-and-a-level/history-7041-7042/subject-content/component-3-historical-investigation-non-exam-assessment-a-level-only
he doesn't have to be at the start, im comparing what he did to the others essentially

No I meant at the start of the chronology of your period, not at the start of the coursework (I know how the coursework works).

EDIT: The exam board need to consider a full representation of the period you're covering. Your chosen presidents have a very weighted representation towards the 20th century. The period in your question is 100 years long, but you've got all but one of your presidents from the final 36 years. The other president you've got died in the first year of your period. Do you recognise the issue with this?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending