The Student Room Group

French speaking GCSE

My GCSE mocks start on Wednesday and I have my french speaking exam on Friday. So far we have only done 6 modules so I have to have answers prepared for these 60 questions. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to revise and learn these answers to prepare for my exam as quick as possible? Thanks
Original post by Mthomas10
My GCSE mocks start on Wednesday and I have my french speaking exam on Friday. So far we have only done 6 modules so I have to have answers prepared for these 60 questions. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to revise and learn these answers to prepare for my exam as quick as possible? Thanks

Hi there.

Wow that's mind blowing however I think learning 60 sections of info for just 1/4 of a subject is an awful lot. I think it'd be best to learn transferable phrases such as "I went to a restaurant and ate...." which can be used in multiple topics such as holidays, food and nutrition and daily hobbies. You can also learn some sophisticated phrases and words such as:
- Malheuresement = unfortunately
- Toutefois = however
- Puisque = because
- En faisant - By doing ( and other present participles)
- Apres avoir fait - After having done and Apres etre alle ( accent on e) = After going

I've missed a few other accents but it shouldn't matter in ONLY speaking.
Hope this helps and good luck for all your mocks :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
The speaking exam I found most easy out of all the different components.

Make sure you know the I form of loads of verbs that have relevance to the subject area and make sure you know loads of vocab. The worst thing to do is memorise chunks of pages as its not cohesive anymore and sounds bad. Also there are many useful phrases that you can use for multiple sections of the topics so learn those first. Remember, especially for the role play, all you really need to say is an opinionated sentence that shows you understand the question so do that :smile:

Bonne chance
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Wow that's mind blowing however I think learning 60 sections of info for just 1/4 of a subject is an awful lot. I think it'd be best to learn transferable phrases such as "I went to a restaurant and ate...." which can be used in multiple topics such as holidays, food and nutrition and daily hobbies. You can also learn some sophisticated phrases and words such as:
- Malheuresement = unfortunately
- Toutefois = however
- Puisque = because
- En faisant - By doing ( and other present participles)
- Apres avoir fait - After having done and Apres etre alle ( accent on e) = After going

I've missed a few other accents but it shouldn't matter in ONLY speaking.
Hope this helps and good luck for all your mocks :smile:

Thank you I think this will help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Layla1712
The speaking exam I found most easy out of all the different components.

Make sure you know the I form of loads of verbs that have relevance to the subject area and make sure you know loads of vocab. The worst thing to do is memorise chunks of pages as its not cohesive anymore and sounds bad. Also there are many useful phrases that you can use for multiple sections of the topics so learn those first. Remember, especially for the role play, all you really need to say is an opinionated sentence that shows you understand the question so do that :smile:

Bonne chance

Thank you x
I’m definitely nervous the role play so thanks for the advice :smile:
Thank you x
I’m definitely nervous the role play so thanks for the advice :smile:

With role play as you have to say a question back to the examiner, try and come up with useful questions that correlate with loads of different topics too :smile:
Reply 6
Little update incase your interested 😂 I absolutely ruined the exam my mind went so blank and I had such a hard role play and picture task!! But I’m just hoping it went a little better than I though - thank you for the help tho it could’ve been a lot worse without it!
hello, do you remember what topics the test was on? i’m have my speaking tomorrow lol
Reply 8
Little update incase your interested 😂 I absolutely ruined the exam my mind went so blank and I had such a hard role play and picture task!! But I’m just hoping it went a little better than I though - thank you for the help tho it could’ve been a lot worse without it!

I'm sure it went much better than you think it did - I thought I'd done terribly after my French speaking exam and ended up getting a 9! Good luck for the rest of your mocks if they're still going on! x
Reply 9
Original post by lucy-joy
I'm sure it went much better than you think it did - I thought I'd done terribly after my French speaking exam and ended up getting a 9! Good luck for the rest of your mocks if they're still going on! x

Thank you got another week and a half left! x
Reply 10
Original post by loiswelton
hello, do you remember what topics the test was on? i’m have my speaking tomorrow lol

Hey sorry it might be a bit late now my role play was on problems with my hotel in Switzerland and my picture task was a school class sitting by a river but most of the questions asked were based around module 1! Hope it went ok for you x
Hey, hope this isn't too late to help. I was introduced to this great book by a friend: https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Answers-Written-Straight-Student-ebook/dp/B09KWKSGB4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BJ11JDM19YKM&keywords=French+oral+exam+gcse&qid=1641841469&sprefix=french+oral+exam+gcs%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-3

You can't copy the answers, but super helpful to have a guide for what to say and the sort of level they're looking for in A* answers...
Cue cards
Mind maps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending