The Student Room Group

a rash from period pads??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
you're so sweet!

and yes, i've realised that haha. i think that because i don't want this pain to end up being something else?
as long as it's gradually getting better, then all is good :smile:

The pain will be because of skin broken as sensitive down in this area
If you are worried on things then if it heals up and still having pain then best to see your GP okay.😃
Original post by black tea
what are you worried it might be?
what are you worried it might be?

i don't know. but from the things i've seen on the internet as i research, it does concern me.
you might think i'm overreacting but there are so many things on the internet and it does frighten me. i overthink enough as it is
Original post by Tracey_W
The pain will be because of skin broken as sensitive down in this area
If you are worried on things then if it heals up and still having pain then best to see your GP okay.😃

ah okay. thank you. i think that if it gets worse, then i'll see my GP.

i don't know. but from the things i've seen on the internet as i research, it does concern me.
you might think i'm overreacting but there are so many things on the internet and it does frighten me. i overthink enough as it is

this answers the second part

No, I was just asking in case you had something specific you were worried that we could reassure you about
No, I was just asking in case you had something specific you were worried that we could reassure you about

oh right sorry. apart from the itchiness, a bit of soreness and sometimes a bit of pain, i seem to be okay at the moment :smile:

i 100000% think that the Sudocrem has helped, so thank you so much for that!
are you a doctor too??
oh right sorry. apart from the itchiness, a bit of soreness and sometimes a bit of pain, i seem to be okay at the moment :smile:

i 100000% think that the Sudocrem has helped, so thank you so much for that!
are you a doctor too??

Glad the cream is helping and you are feeling better.
I'm just female and a few years older than you so have more experience dealing with this sort of stuff.
you might think i'm overreacting but there are so many things on the internet and it does frighten me. i overthink enough as it i

Don't always believe what you read on the internet.
Use NHS website for best information.

Why Do Menstrual Pads Cause Rashes....

Wearing a sanitary or maxi pad can sometimes leave something unwanted behind a rash. This can lead to itching, swelling, and redness.

Sometimes the rash can be the result of irritation from something the pad is made from. Other times the combination of moisture and heat can contribute to bacterial buildup.

Regardless of the underlying cause, there are several treatments available to treat rashes from pads.

What are the causes of rashes from pads?
Most rashes from pads are the result of contact dermatitis. This means your skin has come in contact with something irritating in your sanitary pad. Contact dermatitis of the vulva is known as vulvitis.

Pads are typically made from several layers of different materials. Each material has the potential to irritate your skin. Examples of common components in a sanitary pad include:

Back sheet
The back sheet of a sanitary pad is often made of compounds called polyolefins. These are also used in clothing, straws, and ropes.

Absorbent core
The absorbent core is usually between the back sheet and top sheet. It’s made from absorbent foam and wood cellulose, a highly absorbent material. Sometimes, it may contain absorbent gels as well.

Top sheet
The top sheet of a sanitary pad is the one that comes in contact most often with your skin. Examples of components of top sheets include polyolefins as well as zinc oxide and petrolatum, which are often used in skin moisturizers.

Adhesive
Adhesives are on the back of the pad and help the pad stick to underwear. Some are prepared with FDA-approved glues similar to those in craft glue sticks.

Fragrances
In addition to these components, some manufacturers may add fragrances to their pads. Some women’s skin may be sensitive to the chemicals used to provide fragrance. However, most pads place a fragrance layer underneath the absorbent core. This means the fragranced core is unlikely to come in contact with your skin.

While rashes and allergic irritation can occur, it’s usually rare.

In addition to dermatitis from the components of the sanitary pad itself, the friction from wearing a pad has the potential to irritate sensitive skin and lead to a rash.

How can the rash be treated...

It may take some trial and error to treat a rash caused by a pad.

Use unscented pads.
Wear loose cotton underwear to reduce friction.
Try a different brand to determine if it causes fewer reactions.
Change pads frequently to prevent them from becoming too moist and increasing your risk of irritation.
Treat any irritation from a pad as soon as you notice it. Untreated rashes could lead to a yeast infection as the yeast naturally present in your body can affect the irritated areas.
Don't always believe what you read on the internet.
Use NHS website for best information.

Why Do Menstrual Pads Cause Rashes....

Wearing a sanitary or maxi pad can sometimes leave something unwanted behind a rash. This can lead to itching, swelling, and redness.

Sometimes the rash can be the result of irritation from something the pad is made from. Other times the combination of moisture and heat can contribute to bacterial buildup.

Regardless of the underlying cause, there are several treatments available to treat rashes from pads.

What are the causes of rashes from pads?
Most rashes from pads are the result of contact dermatitis. This means your skin has come in contact with something irritating in your sanitary pad. Contact dermatitis of the vulva is known as vulvitis.

Pads are typically made from several layers of different materials. Each material has the potential to irritate your skin. Examples of common components in a sanitary pad include:

Back sheet
The back sheet of a sanitary pad is often made of compounds called polyolefins. These are also used in clothing, straws, and ropes.

Absorbent core
The absorbent core is usually between the back sheet and top sheet. It’s made from absorbent foam and wood cellulose, a highly absorbent material. Sometimes, it may contain absorbent gels as well.

Top sheet
The top sheet of a sanitary pad is the one that comes in contact most often with your skin. Examples of components of top sheets include polyolefins as well as zinc oxide and petrolatum, which are often used in skin moisturizers.

Adhesive
Adhesives are on the back of the pad and help the pad stick to underwear. Some are prepared with FDA-approved glues similar to those in craft glue sticks.

Fragrances
In addition to these components, some manufacturers may add fragrances to their pads. Some women’s skin may be sensitive to the chemicals used to provide fragrance. However, most pads place a fragrance layer underneath the absorbent core. This means the fragranced core is unlikely to come in contact with your skin.

While rashes and allergic irritation can occur, it’s usually rare.

In addition to dermatitis from the components of the sanitary pad itself, the friction from wearing a pad has the potential to irritate sensitive skin and lead to a rash.

How can the rash be treated...

It may take some trial and error to treat a rash caused by a pad.

Use unscented pads.
Wear loose cotton underwear to reduce friction.
Try a different brand to determine if it causes fewer reactions.
Change pads frequently to prevent them from becoming too moist and increasing your risk of irritation.
Treat any irritation from a pad as soon as you notice it. Untreated rashes could lead to a yeast infection as the yeast naturally present in your body can affect the irritated areas.

ahhh thank you! i did look on a random website soooo..
thank you so so much :smile:
ah okay. thank you. i think that if it gets worse, then i'll see my GP.

this answers the second part

Yes if worried see your GP
But hopefully you won't need to okay.
ahhh thank you! i did look on a random website soooo..
thank you so so much :smile:

Okay

I dug this info from NHS website ( internally I'm afraid ).
Okay

I dug this info from NHS website ( internally I'm afraid ).

Hi Tracey!
i felt really good at school today! it didn't hurt that much - only very rarely! i did decided to reapply my Sudocrem during my 4th lesson though in the toilets.

thank you so much :smile:
Hi Tracey!
i felt really good at school today! it didn't hurt that much - only very rarely! i did decided to reapply my Sudocrem during my 4th lesson though in the toilets.

thank you so much :smile:

Hi

That's good to see you were better today with it ok.
Keep applying sudecreme till it's fully healed up...... Good you applied some during the day as it should help more.

You welcome ok
Hi

That's good to see you were better today with it ok.
Keep applying sudecreme till it's fully healed up...... Good you applied some during the day as it should help more.

You welcome ok

hi Tracey. i'm just going to give you a full update.
i got so upset about this situation to the point where my mom had to check and she noticed that it had gone inflamed and red too, even after using sudocrem
my mom rang the doctor i think 2 days ago? i am currently in isolation due to me having covid so the appointment was a phone call and i just had to describe how i was feeling and they gave me a cream called: Canesten hydrocortisone athlete's foot and i used that. i do feel much better than before. i can KIND OF walk around more - it still feels a bit uncomfortable however the top of my vag still feels weird? i told my my mom and she said that if it doesn't go away, then she will book me an actual appointment where the doctor can actually see.
i got so upset about this situation to the point where my mom had to check and she noticed that it had gone inflamed and red too, even after using sudocrem
my mom rang the doctor i think 2 days ago? i am currently in isolation due to me having covid so the appointment was a phone call and i just had to describe how i was feeling and they gave me a cream called: Canesten hydrocortisone athlete's foot and i used that. i do feel much better than before. i can KIND OF walk around more - it still feels a bit uncomfortable however the top of my vag still feels weird? i told my my mom and she said that if it doesn't go away, then she will book me an actual appointment where the doctor can actually see.

They've given you treatment for a yeast infection. It will take few days for it to treat things.
They've given you treatment for a yeast infection. It will take few days for it to treat things.

ah okay thankyou!
it's just really weird how the top of my vag feels weird

Strange how you said it was clearing up and then it restarted again but it's obviously the problems started from your pads you using and you needed more information & advice from your GP, good for your mum to get appointment.
That cream you got now should hopefully clear it up within few days or so but perhaps next time try different pads or tampons. Don't want to go through this each month okay.

Thanks for update.
ah okay thankyou!
it's just really weird how the top of my vag feels weird
Strange how you said it was clearing up and then it restarted again but it's obviously the problems started from your pads you using and you needed more information & advice from your GP, good for your mum to get appointment.
That cream you got now should hopefully clear it up within few days or so but perhaps next time try different pads or tampons. Don't want to go through this each month okay.

Thanks for update.

yeah, it is weird. i am actually able to walk a lot better than before, which is good. when applying the canesten, i realised that the ... i'm not sure that it is called - the dangly thing? it does hurt a bit when i touch it. weird.
yeah, it is weird. i am actually able to walk a lot better than before, which is good. when applying the canesten, i realised that the ... i'm not sure that it is called - the dangly thing? it does hurt a bit when i touch it. weird.

Hi
You walking better which is fine to hear this as hopefully it won't go backwards again as keep applying the cream you just got till fully healed up.
Are you going to try a different pad next time you needing to use them and see how things are them.
Ok dangling thing sore when touching it - could be related to things from pads with yeast infection,if still sore when everything else better then maybe again ask your GP about it.... X

"Dangly thing"... Your inner labia?
Original post by ageshallnot
"Dangly thing"... Your inner labia?

After searching ‘inner Labia’ I think that’s the right word for the part I’m describing.

Quick Reply

Latest