The Student Room Group

Novak Djokovic has visa cancelled by Australia

Novak Djokovic, the world number one tennis player, has had his visa cancelled 11 days before the Australian Open tennis competition is due to begin.

He was due to play in the competition after receiving a medical exemption from being vaccinated. Vaccination or an exemption is essential to be able to compete. Djokovic has not commented on his vaccination status, but last year said he was "opposed to vaccination".

In response, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said if Djokovic's evidence was insufficient he would be on the "next plane home". Australia now seems to be following through on that threat, as it plans to deport Djokovic tomorrow (Thursday 6 January).

What do you make of the situation?

To me it seems there are two different authorities taking two different stances on the evidence he has for medical exemption, with one having the power from preventing him from entering the country regardless of whether the other allows him to compete in the tennis competition or not.

I think the decision to grant the medical exemption allowing him compete in the first place is controversial due to the idea that he might be an anti-vaxxer who has managed to get around the rules. Further drama ensues from the fact that even though he was granted the medical exemption to compete, Australia has clearly disagreed that he has strong enough medical evidence to be considered exempt from vaccination. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, and if any details on the evidence Djokovic has presented comes to light to inform this debate.

Scroll to see replies

If you don’t follow the rules you don’t get the play the game, simple. Shouldn’t have got the exemption in the first place. Makes it look like the whole one rule for them and another for us argument.
Original post by Andrew97
If you don’t follow the rules you don’t get the play the game, simple. Shouldn’t have got the exemption in the first place. Makes it look like the whole one rule for them and another for us argument.

That's exactly what has annoyed Australian citizens (according to the BBC). I agree with you, though I'll be happy to take it back if it does transpire he has a genuine medical reason for not having a vaccine.
Original post by CatusStarbright
That's exactly what has annoyed Australian citizens (according to the BBC). I agree with you, though I'll be happy to take it back if it does transpire he has a genuine medical reason for not having a vaccine.

Yeah the Aussies have been in lockdown since before lockdown was a thing 😂😂. So they are getting tired of it.

You would have thought the money and resources djockvic has they’d have got their facts straight before submitting for the visa but apparently not.

To update on this the Serbs have called for the Aussie Ambassador over there to explain what’s going on (not sure what they expect the ambassador to do about it other than say “I’ll Holler at Scott for you mate, right after I get the old shrimp on the barby mate”)
Original post by Andrew97
Yeah the Aussies have been in lockdown since before lockdown was a thing 😂😂. So they are getting tired of it.

You would have thought the money and resources djockvic has they’d have got their facts straight before submitting for the visa but apparently not.

To update on this the Serbs have called for the Aussie Ambassador over there to explain what’s going on (not sure what they expect the ambassador to do about it other than say “I’ll Holler at Scott for you mate, right after I get the old shrimp on the barby mate”)

The Serbian government appears to be quite angry at the situation, so they're probably just trying to apply diplomatic pressure on Australia (not that Australia probably cares at all!).
I think Australia did the right thing, if he is not genuinely medically exempt. I just heard it discussed on the radio with an Australian journalist who said that Djokovic is claiming to be exempt because he has had covid in the last 6 months which has been certified by a doctor.

BUT the other side's argument is that unlike other professional tennis players they have admitted into Australia in the last few weeks, he only has one doctor's opinion on it (not 3 or 4 as the others have) and most importantly, he does not have proof of a laboratory tested positive PCR to prove he has been previously infected.
Original post by harrysbar
I think Australia did the right thing, if he is not genuinely medically exempt. I just heard it discussed on the radio with an Australian journalist who said that Djokovic is claiming to be exempt because he has had covid in the last 6 months which has been certified by a doctor.

BUT the other side's argument is that unlike other professional tennis players they have admitted into Australia in the last few weeks, he only has one doctor's opinion on it (not 3 or 4 as the others have) and most importantly, he does not have proof of a laboratory tested positive PCR to prove he has been previously infected.

If that is indeed his only evidence then I can see why Australia is deeming it inadequate proof for a medical exemption.
So it looks like a protracted court battle is breaking out here. It really does show how much goes on behind the scenes to make sure everything goes smoothly during international sporting events normally!

Not sure either side has covered themselves in glory here I don't think, and it'll only get uglier if it gets dragged through the courts. It's interesting, because in tennis there's not really a governing body to step in on one side or another: both parties need to work this one out between them.
I am with the Australian government on this one. The UK government would just cave in for a celebrity or sports person though. Mike Tyson was allowed to come to the UK to box even though he had a rape conviction.
Australia did the right thing, I agree with their Deputy PM who said "rich people can't wander around the world thinking they are above the laws". Will be interested to see if he’s banned from there for 3 years or not though
I heard his mother speaking on the radio news earlier and I just did an eye roll when she said they were treating him as a criminal :rolleyes:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
How typical of Australia. :sigh:
But their country, their laws.
With their government deciding upon how the pandemic rules are enforced in practice by border control and other immigration staff.

Those foreign nationals who are not willing to obey the rules of the australian government or comply with the demands of their border force personnel should automically stay out of the country under all circumstances.
Same with all other nations and theocratic territories.
All overseas guests that want to enjoy their visit to a foreign nation should ensure that all their activities, attitudes & physical appearances outwardly appear compatible with the mainstream national social culture whilst within the country- if they do not want to face being asked to leave voluntarily or getting deported with visa revoked.

That said, I'm unsure whether the Australian government have demonstrated illegal conduct towards an unvaccinated tennis player with all the legitimate paperwork or dealt with a high profile criminal who dishonestly obtained a visa by means of fraudulent conduct in breach of Australian law.
The most entertaining thing about this is the hand wringing among those shocked to see a global superstar treated with the same competent as a normal person would be when they run into issues with the border force.
He isn't vaccinated which the rules stated all those entering Australia must be at least doubled vaccinated which he didn't have.
He tried to enter using a sponsor that got him round the rules.
He had covid19 in last six months and previously in 2020.

The Australian government set out the rules that the border police / immigration has followed as not satisfied enough on him not able to provide evidence when asked for it BUT yet he now claim he has this which Is strange.
He's asking to be moved elsewhere with facilities to allow to train which he shouldn't get. Non Australian resident who not been vaccinated must isolate for two weeks on arriving in Australia so if they decide to allow him in then start his isolation period from when it granted so therefore will miss the Australian tennis tournament. If he is deported he not allowed back in for 3 years apparently so his Australian tennis tournament will be over for him.
Could him falsifying his visa for Australia cost him entry to the likes of France for French open / Wimbledon / and America for US open......!!!

I agree with the residents of Melbourne on this because they have followed the rules of the hardest lockdown conditions anywhere to keep things under control and weren't allowed out of the country as now those who where kept out of Melbourne now able to return home and come back to UK etc. You weren't allowed to go out of house unless it was work, shopping or to get vaccinated for almost two years.

My own sister who unfortunately works there in Melbourne has finally got home to visit us but had to follow all the rules of Australian government and UK ones so why should Novak get in when everybody else attending the Australian tennis tournament in weeks time known since last October about the strict rules.

A Czech tennis player has just been refused entry to Melbourne but not hearing same TV press coverage like Novak is getting.

Rules are rules and shouldn't be broken for one person .
Obviously Australia can refuse him entry if they want, and this has become political so their government are going to really push for it now.

But Djokovic's attempted exemption would only excuse a failed second jab? I.e. someone could have been intending to have their second, but contracted Covid shortly before and then couldn't have it, which is then the exemption. Someone with no intent of any vaccination does not get excused out of both by a conveniently timed PCR test. And if someone is really 'unfortunate' enough to continually contract Covid just before several attempts at a jab then you probably don't want them travelling anywhere anyway.

I think the best way out of this is an apology from the Australian Open for not sorting this sooner (perhaps suggesting that at least some of the blame is on Djokovic for gambling on his exemption) but a refusal for this event. He's not barred from future events and their government get to do the right thing by their people.

One good thing to come from this is shedding light on the apparently awful conditions that asylum seekers need to endure in this Park Hotel. Whether the conditions are actually that terrible when the prominent person complaining about them is someone whose demands include a tennis court remains to be seen, but it looks like some scrutiny is needed.
So his lawyers say he tested positive for covid on December 16th yet he attended this event and allowed this photo to be taken on December 17th??? (he's at the back)

https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-pictured-with-young-players-the-day-after-lawyers-say-he-tested-positive-for-covid-12511669
Original post by harrysbar
So his lawyers say he tested positive for covid on December 16th yet he attended this event and allowed this photo to be taken on December 17th??? (he's at the back)

https://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-pictured-with-young-players-the-day-after-lawyers-say-he-tested-positive-for-covid-12511669

He attend a event on the 16th December ( same day he apparently tested positive for covid19) for a collection of stamps in his honour.
Then attend a not he event on 17th .........
What's the isolation rules in Croatia as shouldn't he been isolating till known of test results......
Original post by Tracey_W
He attend a event on the 16th December ( same day he apparently tested positive for covid19) for a collection of stamps in his honour.
Then attend a not he event on 17th .........
What's the isolation rules in Croatia as shouldn't he been isolating till known of test results......

Of course he should have isolated until he got his Covid result not attended a large event without even wearing a mask
Justice has been served - Djokovic has been cleared to play - here we go!

Latest

Trending

Trending