The Student Room Group

Four cleared of criminal damage charges for pulling down slave trader statue

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-59727161

Four accused of illegally removing the statue of slave trader Edward Colston have been found not guilty of criminal damage by a jury.

Scroll to see replies

Justice served. Shameful that the statue had not already been removed by the council despite constant calls from locals, even more so that they then pushed to prosecute four people for dumping it in the sea where it belonged.
These vermin deserve ten years hard labour for their despicable woke vandalism.
Reply 3
Original post by Starship Trooper

Perhaps a statue to them could be erected by public subscription.
Reply 4
:smile:
Ehhh I’m not comfortable with the idea of people yanking down statues of those they don’t like (not saying Colston deserved a statue) . The whole thing could have been handled better all around.
Reply 6

The establishment are furious about this. Wha a way to stick it to them, you should be delighted!
Original post by DSilva
The establishment are furious about this. Wha a way to stick it to them, you should be delighted!

A- part of the establishment *are possibly, most are thrilled. Brainlets on the left think that Ben Shapiro and Rupert Murdoch are the establishment. Brainlets on the right think that Owen Jones and the Guardian are the establishment when truth is they all are.

B- even if that was the case whilst what's bad for the establishment is almost always a good thing there are exceptions.

C: the idea that the establishment is furious with these people is laughable. Ask Julian Assange what our regime does to people they're furious with.

D- I suspect that if the statue had been of Nelson Mandela or MLK they would have had the book thrown at them.

*(Consisting of Patel, a few conservative MPs, maybe a few papers like the DM). I suspect they doth protest too much.
Reply 8

D- I suspect that if the statue had been of Nelson Mandela or MLK they would have had the book thrown at them.

By 'they', I take it you mean the jury when they deliberated on their verdict? ie the jury would have found the defendants guilty rather than not guilty

Quite probably so, but the role of a jury of commoners is a key part of our legal system.
Reply 9
A- part of the establishment *are possibly, most are thrilled. Brainlets on the left think that Ben Shapiro and Rupert Murdoch are the establishment. Brainlets on the right think that Owen Jones and the Guardian are the establishment when truth is they all are.

B- even if that was the case whilst what's bad for the establishment is almost always a good thing there are exceptions.

C: the idea that the establishment is furious with these people is laughable. Ask Julian Assange what our regime does to people they're furious with.

*(Consisting of Patel, a few conservative MPs, maybe a few papers like the DM). I suspect they doth protest too much.

Look at how lots of Tory Mps are reacting today.

I would say this has annoyed all the right people.
Original post by Quady
By 'they', I take it you mean the jury when they deliberated on their verdict? ie the jury would have found the defendants guilty rather than not guilty

Quite probably so, but the role of a jury of commoners is a key part of our legal system.

In part yes.

Yes...and in the past this was great. I'm not so sure now, although I don't have a better answer to hand.

Basically in order to have a functional liberal democracy you need impartiality, which itself is impossible but what you can have is an illusion of such when you have a strong monoculture or/and are ethnically homogeneous. When you have multiculturalism, ethnic pluralism and no unifying culture or religion it really makes trial by "peers" impossible and it becomes inherently political.
Reply 11
In part yes.

Yes...and in the past this was great. I'm not so sure now, although I don't have a better answer to hand.

Basically in order to have a functional liberal democracy you need impartiality, which itself is impossible but what you can have is an illusion of such when you have a strong monoculture or/and are ethnically homogeneous. When you have multiculturalism, ethnic pluralism and no unifying culture or religion it really makes trial by "peers" impossible and it becomes inherently political.

So what's the alternative, trial by state apparatchiks?.
Original post by DSilva
So what's the alternative, trial by state apparatchiks?.

Probably, yes.

Not optimal of course but these are sub optimal times.
Reply 13
Probably, yes.

Not optimal of course but these are sub optimal times.

You'd have been quite at home in Stalin's Russia.
Original post by DSilva
You'd have been quite at home in Stalin's Russia.

Screenshot_2021-03-26-16-12-32-19.jpg

Stalin, particularly in his later years was pretty based.

And yes you need a Stalin/ Putin figure to bring order to a dysfunctional and corrupt system which both inherited.

Hopefully Trump will one day do the same.
Good to see a bit of common sense.
i am disgusted by the statue of toddler killer Boudicca AKA Boadicea just 100 yards from Parliament.

it should be chucked in the Thames.

bahd.png
Reply 17
Edward Colston was responsible for transporting 84,000 slaves, 12,000 of whom were children and 19,000 of whom died en route.

Standards change yadeya but telling that some people seem far more concerned with his statue being taken down than they do about his statue being still there in the first place.
Original post by DSilva
Edward Colston was responsible for transporting 84,000 slaves, 12,000 of whom were children and 19,000 of whom died en route.

Wait until you hear about how they made the pyramids!
Reply 19
Wait until you hear about how they made the pyramids!

By all means go tear them down 😉.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending