The Student Room Group

master of mathematics??? niamh's final fight for a first!

Scroll to see replies

I really like reading your posts :u: It's nice to look into someone's lives and feel like you're not alone :^_^: I haven't done my own intense cleaning yet too.

On that note, I wish you a swift recovery too mate :knuddel: Being sick near exams are no joke, it gets pretty scary sometimes.
(edited 2 years ago)
wishing you a speedy recovery :hugs:
those yorkshire puddings :gah:
Hope you make a speedy recovery :hugs:
:jumphug: sending love :heart:
Original post by wifd149
I really like reading your posts :u: It's nice to look into someone's lives and feel like you're not alone :^_^: I haven't done my own intense cleaning yet too.

On that note, I wish you a swift recovery too mate :knuddel: Being sick near exams are no joke, it gets pretty scary sometimes.

aw this is lovely!

i'm feeling much better now, have you been ill as well? i hope you're doing better now if so!
Original post by niamhdoesmaths
aw this is lovely!

i'm feeling much better now, have you been ill as well? i hope you're doing better now if so!

Your welcome :colondollar: No, I’m lucky that I’m not sick for my upcoming exams but I have been so during A-levels and some others before.
a look back on 2021: review and goals for 2022

i do this every year lmao, it's not very exciting really but read along if you fancy

a look back at my 2021:

january

Spoiler

february

Spoiler

march

Spoiler

april

Spoiler

may

Spoiler

june

Spoiler

july

Spoiler

august

Spoiler

september

Spoiler

october

Spoiler

november

Spoiler

december

Spoiler

glad to see the back of the year tbh, the summer was good but the rest of it was pretty meh at best. fingers crossed 2022 will be better!

reflecting on last year's goals:

goal one: look after myself & lose some of this covid weight healthily - didn't do this, gained quite a bit of weight this year lol oops

goal two: finish 3rd year & get onto the 4th year (i need 60%) - i did do this!! i completed 3rd year even if it nearly killed me, and i got 65.8%!

goal three: get back into cooking and stop relying on convenience food! - lol no this year was worse than any other for my (lack of) cooking

goal four: figure out what to do with my life - oh boy oh boy i still have no idea

goals for 2022:

goal one: look after myself and lose some of this covid weight healthily - i'm actually determined this year, i've actually made a wellness blog for some of my health-related goals which is here if you feel like checking it out

goal two: get a job lined up for post-uni

goal three: graduate with a 2:1 (or, pushing it a little, a first?)

goal four: focus on becoming the best version of myself

hope everyone had a nice christmas and a happy new year! hope 2022 is good to you all, as always if anyone's got any goals for the year i'd love to hear them :smile:

see you soon
niamh xx

tags

Original post by wifd149
Your welcome :colondollar: No, I’m lucky that I’m not sick for my upcoming exams but I have been so during A-levels and some others before.

oh bless you, that sounds rough :console: glad you're feeling well ahead of your upcoming exams. good luck for them!
Hope 2022 is a good one :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Hope 2022 is a good one :smile:

:hugs:
Original post by niamhdoesmaths
oh bless you, that sounds rough :console: glad you're feeling well ahead of your upcoming exams. good luck for them!

Thank you! To you too as well :colondollar:
best of luck with 2022 :hugs:
If it's any consolation, I'm a good 10+ years older than you and I still have no idea what I'm gonna do in life career-wise! :nah:

Happy New Year, Niamh, hope it's kind to you :penguinhug:
update #14, sunday 9th january 2022
back to the grind

hey everyone, first proper update of 2022! how exciting

general stuff
the good news is i'm now feeling much better since having covid over christmas, and i don't think i've got any lasting symptoms - the only thing that's still messed up is my sleep which is really annoying. i'm not getting tired til around 2-3am and so that 8:30 alarm is not getting any easier to bare. you'd think that by still forcing myself up early i'd be tired earlier on a night but this isn't the case at all, it's very annoying. on the plus side, i'm not feeling tired during the day. the only time i feel tired is when i first wake up and it's nigh on impossible to get out of bed, once i'm up i'm fine til like i say about 3am.

this week i've started my revision for my exam, which is now only 9 days away so that's scary. at least i only have one exam, so everything i plan to do should be manageable in this time. i wish i could say it's been a productive week but it really hasn't. i'll go over what i've done

tuesday 4th january
first day of revision and i went to the library to do it as i don't work well (or, at all) at home. got there for like 12:30 so not quite the 10am i aimed for lol. i had 4 lectures i needed to catch up on so the plan was to get them all done today, but i only managed 3 before giving up and going home. the library was so cold it almost hurt to write, so i was very uncomfortable and not having a good time. at least it was a nice gentle easing back into using my brain though i suppose. i got an email back from my personal tutor back in the evening, which was lovely as i expected.

wednesday 5th january
went back to the library but decided to go downstairs instead of on the ground* (our library is weird, you walk in on the 2nd floor) floor as i thought it might be warmer, and i was right! i mean it was still Cold but nowhere near as cold. i got there at 12:30 again (my time management is horrendous) but sat doing nothing for at least an hour because i couldn't be bothered. replied to my personal tutor and arranged a zoom meeting, and then i got started with actual work. i did the final lecture that i didn't manage on tuesday, and then was a bit stuck about what to do. i decided to start making summary sheets for all of the chapters as i really don't understand much, but only got 2 done before sacking it off and going home lmao

thursday 6th january
had the zoom meeting with my personal tutor at 12, he was so lovely as always and i just told him how stuff was going. ended up talking a lot about my issues with my project supervisor and he seemed quite concerned, he asked whether he should send an email to my supervisor but i said no as i'm scared that would make things worse. we've instead agreed to meet again in week 1 of semester 2 when i should have had a couple of meetings to chat about how things are. other than that it was just a little bit of a boost before exams really which is always good. my personal tutor gives the best pep talks, wouldn't have got this far in uni without him :love:

after this i was supposed to go to the library but i didn't want to as it had been snowing, but rather than being productive at home i just played the sims for hours instead. i'm such a role model i know :facepalm:

friday 7th january
got up with full intentions to go to the library but then didn't, i wanted to go out for a walk so i did that but then didn't do any work when i got back. bit of a waste of a day really, the walk was nice though

saturday 8th january
decided i didn't want to go to the library as the weather was bad, but this time i actually moved my laptop etc to the dining table and did a bit of work there. i only got 1 more summary sheet done so i was up to 3, before giving up. idk what's up with me at the moment i just cannot focus. i think that maybe because i only have 1 exam it's hard to get into the exam season mindset?

sunday 9th january
today i told myself i was gonna work from the dining table again but i didn't for ages. watched football for a bit before actually moving over at like 5pm, and i was slightly more productive today actually. i got 5 more summary sheets done taking me up to 8, so i'm nearly halfway through (there are 20 chapters, they're all quite short). i took a picture of one so here it is

photo

tomorrow i'm actually gonna go to the library, please shout at me to make sure i've gone cos my exam is on the 19th i can't afford to be wasting time anymore :bricks:

my plan of action looks a bit like this:

finish all the summary sheets (tomorrow, monday 10th)

do all the examples from all the chapters and staple them to the corresponding summary sheet (tuesday 11th)

do all the exercises for each chapter and staple those to the right chapter sheets (wednesday 12th and thursday 13th, maybe friday 14th too if they're hard)

watch the problems classes and write down the solutions (friday 14th)

re-do assignment 2 - need to email asking for model solutions first, as i got 65% but no idea where i dropped marks (friday 14th)

do the 90 minute mock exam, mark it and go over the topics where i dropped marks. go over solutions and make sure i understand them thoroughly (saturday 15th)

same as above but for mock exam A (sunday 16th)

same as above but for mock exam B (monday 17th)

organise all of my notes, tie up any loose ends and tidy my room to make it a nice workspace for an exam (tuesday 18th)

go over last minute stuff and then sit the exam (wednesday 19th)

i've also been toying with the idea of submitting a personal extenuating circumstances form for the exam, for covid affecting my ability to prepare for the exam. not sure they'd grant it given how long before the exam i got ill, but it's worth a shot i suppose right? or should i not bother?

hope you all have a groovy week, peace & love
niamh xx

tags

(edited 2 years ago)
Good luck Niamh, that's quite a to-do list! :eek: Virtually cheering you on :rave: :hugs:
Original post by flaurie
Good luck Niamh, that's quite a to-do list! :eek: Virtually cheering you on :rave: :hugs:

thank you! i know, it's quite intensive - i only physically went to 4 lectures for this course so i'm kicking myself now cos i've got so much to do :banghead:
(edited 2 years ago)
good luck, you've got this!! :rave:
I'd def give extenuating circumstances form a go: worst that happens is they say no! :smile:

Eeek for library being so cold :eek: but YAY for personal tutor :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'd def give extenuating circumstances form a go: worst that happens is they say no! :smile:

Eeek for library being so cold :eek: but YAY for personal tutor :h:

yeah good point! i think i will :smile:
:hugs:
Original post by absolutelysprout
good luck, you've got this!! :rave:

eeek thank you! :bricks:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending