The Student Room Group

Anyone studying chemical engineering?

I have a few questions for anyone that studies/ has studied chemical engineering:

-What's your favourite thing about the course?

-If you didn't do physics, did you find that set you back/ did you see peers who didn't do physics A level struggle?

- What you wish you knew about the course before studying it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
I’m in my final year studying chemical engineering and yeah it can be hard but it is extremely rewarding. There’s alot of physics and maths in it more than chemistry. I think you would struggle if you didn’t do physics A-Level as there are a lot of basic concepts they expect you to know that I learnt in A- Level physics. A lot of chemical engineering is modelling how the world works in terms of maths and physics (fluid mechanics, heat transfer) so I think you should consider doing a foundation year where you can build on basic concepts to have a better chance of getting the most of your degree.
(edited 2 years ago)
I know someone who did it without doing physics. He found it very difficult and didn’t enjoy it. He did get a 2:1 though, so he did well. It was an integrated master yr too so he got that as well.
Reply 5
Original post by njono
I started studying chemical engineering but seriously didn't enjoy it, so have dropped out since.My favourite thing about the course was a specific module which dealt with fluid dynamics and fluid flow in general. It's pretty interesting stuff and not super difficult as I didn't do A-level physics and could still understand it.I believe there is a disadvantage to have not studied physics before this course however if you are seriously motivated to study chemical engineering then it will not set you back too far, you will just need to do a bit more work.I wish I knew there was very little chemistry involved. I remember on one of my first days there I met up with one of my advisors and they asked me why I chose this course, to which I replied I enjoy maths and chemistry. Their response was something along the lines of:

Thank you! Do you know much about a chemistry degree?
Reply 6
Original post by Sick0_M0de
I’m in my final year studying chemical engineering and yeah it can be hard but it is extremely rewarding. There’s alot of physics and maths in it more than chemistry. I think you would struggle if you didn’t do physics A-Level as there are a lot of basic concepts they expect you to know that I learnt in A- Level physics. A lot of chemical engineering is modelling how the world works in terms of maths and physics (fluid mechanics, heat transfer) so I think you should consider doing a foundation year where you can build on basic concepts to have a better chance of getting the most of your degree.

Thank you for the insight and good luck with the rest of your final year :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
I know someone who did it without doing physics. He found it very difficult and didn’t enjoy it. He did get a 2:1 though, so he did well. It was an integrated master yr too so he got that as well.

cool! And thanks for the response. Have you heard anything about what a chemistry degree is like?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by .._..
cool! And thanks for the response. Have you heard anything about what a chemistry degree is like?

i know people who have done chemistry, i don’t know anything about it though. sorry
Original post by .._..

Hey there! So I see someone has already answered your ChemEng questions, and I would have to say there opinion is common amongst most undergraduates. But with respect to the Chemistry degree, I think TEMSfluence did a video on ChemEng vs Chemistry (on youtube), which may be of benefit to you, so I would recommend maybe checking that out.

I hope someone is able to answer your question :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by .._..

I do a chemistry degree happy to answer any questions you may have!
Reply 11
Original post by ChemEngWeekly
Hey there! So I see someone has already answered your ChemEng questions, and I would have to say there opinion is common amongst most undergraduates. But with respect to the Chemistry degree, I think TEMSfluence did a video on ChemEng vs Chemistry (on youtube), which may be of benefit to you, so I would recommend maybe checking that out.

I hope someone is able to answer your question :smile:

Oooh, thank you!!
Reply 12
Original post by oci9
I do a chemistry degree happy to answer any questions you may have!

Hi! What's a chemistry degree like? How do you find the content, compared to A-levels? and do you feel that there is a wide variety of jobs to go into after the degree, that are not research-based? I quite like the idea of going out in wellies with a clipboard and learning the way things work, but I feel like that's more chemical engineering, but would you say that this is an aspect in some jobs that are a step up from a chemistry degree? Thank you!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by .._..
Thank you! Do you know much about a chemistry degree?

@CheeseIsVeg did chemistry and might be able to offer some insight if you have any specific questions :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by .._..
Hi! What's a chemistry degree like? How do you find the content, compared to A-levels? and do you feel that there is a wide variety of jobs to go into after the degree, that are not research-based? I quite like the idea of going out in wellies with a clipboard and learning the way things work, but I feel like that's more chemical engineering, but would you say that this is an aspect in some jobs that are a step up from a chemistry degree? Thank you!!!

Hi, so im halfway through my second year and i can honestly say its a great degree.. its very challenging but very rewarding alot like A-Level chemistry. you dont need Maths a level to study chemistry at uni but i would say you should do it as theres alot of a level maths at degree level like differentiation and integration of rates etc.. in terms of prospects i feel as though this depends on what you want to do to go into a research based career youll have to do a Phd theres no two ways about it but if you want to teach youll only need the standard Bsc. A lot of big companies recruit chemistry graduates alot of my friends have gone on to Pfizer,GSK and Johnson Mathey to name a few. It's a tough degree and employers recognise that so doing Chemistry opens up other doors you wouldn't think are relevant like finance etc..
I think if you love it , its definitely a great subject and you cant really go wrong with it if i'm honest.. and in terms of clipboard wellies i think it does leave that door open to for example there was a job opening for Sellafield and AWE which are nuclear companies and fit that bill.
Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by oci9
Hi, so im halfway through my second year and i can honestly say its a great degree.. its very challenging but very rewarding alot like A-Level chemistry. you dont need Maths a level to study chemistry at uni but i would say you should do it as theres alot of a level maths at degree level like differentiation and integration of rates etc.. in terms of prospects i feel as though this depends on what you want to do to go into a research based career youll have to do a Phd theres no two ways about it but if you want to teach youll only need the standard Bsc. A lot of big companies recruit chemistry graduates alot of my friends have gone on to Pfizer,GSK and Johnson Mathey to name a few. It's a tough degree and employers recognise that so doing Chemistry opens up other doors you wouldn't think are relevant like finance etc..
I think if you love it , its definitely a great subject and you cant really go wrong with it if i'm honest.. and in terms of clipboard wellies i think it does leave that door open to for example there was a job opening for Sellafield and AWE which are nuclear companies and fit that bill.
Good luck.

Thank you so much! Calculus in chemistry sounds interesting, is it a lot like the unit in AS maths mechanics?
Reply 16
Original post by artful_lounger
@CheeseIsVeg did chemistry and might be able to offer some insight if you have any specific questions :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by .._..
Thank you so much! Calculus in chemistry sounds interesting, is it a lot like the unit in AS maths mechanics?

Yeah it is a lot like AS maths, it's not too difficult once you practise it. More like core maths I'd say not much like mechanics.
Reply 18
Original post by oci9
Good luck.

I forgot to ask, what is it about the course specifically that you find rewarding? Thanks :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by .._..
I forgot to ask, what is it about the course specifically that you find rewarding? Thanks :smile:

It's tough, so when you crack something difficult it feels rewarding. You get to put everything you learn into practise in lab work, and write reports which set you up well for if you wanna continue a research based career or a phd.

Quick Reply

Latest