The Student Room Group

PinkMobilePhone's 2022 Wellbeing Blog

Let's give this a go then

Goals
-This year, I'd like to lose weight. I don't have a specific goal weight for one year. I'm currently 15 stone something or other, and I want to get down to around the 9 and a half / 10 stone sort of size. I don't expect I'll lose that much in a year though, more than likely it'll take two years, but we'll see.
I'll be doing an initial weigh-in on Monday 10th, and commencing a daily exercise routine as well as eating more healthily with smaller portions.
My 16 year old daughter will be doing it with me, so she tells me!

-During the summer holidays I intend to do the Open Learn course in Ancient Greek. I'd like to complete that before the new uni term (I'm at the OU) starts in October.

-I don't really sleep enough, so I'd like to get a minimum of 7 hours sleep a night.

Why you want to work on your wellbeing
The weight loss and the sleep is for my health.
The Ancient Greek is to complement my Classics degree.

Your thoughts/feelings about the year ahead
Meh, I dunno, we'll see.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Following :biggrin:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Goals
-This year, I'd like to lose weight. I don't have a specific goal weight for one year. I'm currently 15 stone something or other, and I want to get down to around the 9 and a half / 10 stone sort of size. I don't expect I'll lose that much in a year though, more than likely it'll take two years, but we'll see.
I'll be doing an initial weigh-in on Monday 10th, and commencing a daily exercise routine as well as eating more healthily with smaller portions.

-During the summer holidays I intend to do the Open Learn course in Ancient Greek. I'd like to complete that before the new uni term (I'm at the OU) starts in October.

-I don't really sleep enough, so I'd like to get a minimum of 7 hours sleep a night.

Meh, I dunno, we'll see.

I meant to say, with the losing weight stuff, let me know if you want to chat over it. I lost over 3 stone in 2020 including through lock down. I did it mainly through diet and not needing the gym, it didn't feel like the biggest effort in the world. I've now maintained my weight for over a year :smile:
Good luck with your goals and improved well-being. I hope you achieve them sooner than later :hugs:
…also, is it just me or is this a challenge set up by someone. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen the title “x well-being blog” and the OP’s format is also similar. Don’t get me wrong, this is wholesome and should be encouraged but it really does induce curiosity.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 0ptics
…also, is it just me or is this a challenge set up by someone. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen the title “x well-being blog” and the OP’s format is also similar. Don’t get me wrong, this is wholesome and should be encouraged but it really does induce curiosity.

Yep: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7150060 :smile:

Oh wow. I was mainly grasping at straws with the whole challenge thing but that is what this actually is. This is a nice challenge, ngl.

And thanks for providing that link :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I meant to say, with the losing weight stuff, let me know if you want to chat over it. I lost over 3 stone in 2020 including through lock down. I did it mainly through diet and not needing the gym, it didn't feel like the biggest effort in the world. I've now maintained my weight for over a year :smile:

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I lost 4 stone back in 2011 / 2012, but then I had another child in 2013 and I've yo-yoed ever since. This is the heaviest I've ever been, and I feel horrible.
I feel like every time I lose a bit, my willpower caves in and I stop exercising and start eating badly again.
I think my biggest downfall is portion sizes, and cheese. I'm a massive cheeseaholic.

Original post by 0ptics
Good luck with your goals and improved well-being. I hope you achieve them sooner than later :hugs:

Thank you :smile:
Thank you, I appreciate that.

I lost 4 stone back in 2011 / 2012, but then I had another child in 2013 and I've yo-yoed ever since. This is the heaviest I've ever been, and I feel horrible.
I feel like every time I lose a bit, my willpower caves in and I stop exercising and start eating badly again.
I think my biggest downfall is portion sizes, and cheese. I'm a massive cheeseaholic.

That makes complete sense! I'm such a chocoholic and also love cheese. Perhaps you were restricting yourself and exercising too much? As I'm sure you know it needs to be a sustainable change and often long term. So rather than completely cutting out chocolate and restricting myself completely I allowed myself one row of dairy milk a day and factored that into my calories for the day. Perhaps you could do the same with cheese. At the end of the day as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. So I used myfitnesspal to track it and eat around 500 fewer calories than I burnt. I haven't had to calorie count in over a year and have maintained my weight because I now have a pretty decent idea of how much I need to eat each day (and if I eat a lot one day I know I can just eat a bit less another day). Sorry you probably know all of this just sharing my experience in case it's of any help at all! :smile:
Posting to subscribe! Good luck and cheering you on from here :rave:
following
Well I'm off to a cracking start. I got under 5 hours sleep last night.

In my defense, things just sort of happened.

16 year old came to me at about 1am after her shower with a hairbrush stuck in her hair (and she has super long hair) and it took an insanely extortionate amount of time to detangle it.

Then it was my 8 year old's first morning at Forest School today, so I had to get up much earlier than usual.

No matter how old you are, you will always still need your mother for something, even if that means she only gets 4 and a half hours sleep :wink:

T - 4 days until the diet and exercise regime commences.

Goals

Meh, I dunno, we'll see.

Hiii! :biggrin: I love this! deffo following :h: good luck with all ur goals! :hugs:
I managed 5 and a half hours sleep last night. Progress, right?

The 16 year old announced today that she wants to get her ears pierced twice, and a nose piercing.

The 12 year old's hypochondria has kicked off again. He's convinced he has myocarditis from his second dose yesterday. I highly suspect it's indigestion, but I'll keep an eye on him.

It has been... a day!
I managed 5 and a half hours sleep last night. Progress, right?

The 16 year old announced today that she wants to get her ears pierced twice, and a nose piercing.

The 12 year old's hypochondria has kicked off again. He's convinced he has myocarditis from his second dose yesterday. I highly suspect it's indigestion, but I'll keep an eye on him.

It has been... a day!

Oh dear, that does sound like quite a day :eek:

Hope you can get more sleep soon :console: Hats off to you! Being a parent is hard at the best of times :eek3:
I am most definitely following this! My goals seem to mirror yours.I plugged myself back into my fitness Pal a week ago, have desperately been trying to sleep more than 5 hours a night, and find a bit of time for me between managing 4 teenagers/ young adults, a husband and his healthcare team, plus the dogs, cats,and other 4 legged beasts that make up the household.This will give me the motivation to succeed!
Thank you everyone who is following and commenting, it means a lot.

@The_Lonely_Goatherd it is!

@BurstingBubbles I definitely don't think I can cut out cheese altogether. I might just ration it and take a leaf out of your book!

@Nobody2u good luck with your goals as well!

Righty, so I went to bed at 4am, and I thought "Okay PMP*, I have a plumber coming at 1pm, it's a weekend so I have nothing major to get up for, I'm gonna set my alarm for 11.45 and get nearly 8 hours sleep."

Cue my 14 year old son yelling into my room at 11am "MAAAAAAM the plumber is here!"

Well I nearly jumped out of my skin. I climbed out of my bed (I sleep in the top bunk of a triple bunk bed - double at the bottom for my disabled husband, single at the top for me), threw on some clothes, and opened the door to him looking like I'd just been dragged through a hedge backwards.

I mean who shows up 2 hours early?

On the plus side 7 hours sleep is a big improvement!

T-2 days until the weight loss regime starts.

*I do not really call myself PMP or PinkMobilePhone in real life, I promise. I also don't generally talk to myself in the third person.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you everyone who is following and commenting, it means a lot.

@The_Lonely_Goatherd it is!

@BurstingBubbles I definitely don't think I can cut out cheese altogether. I might just ration it and take a leaf out of your book!

@Nobody2u good luck with your goals as well!

Righty, so I went to bed at 4am, and I thought "Okay PMP*, I have a plumber coming at 1pm, it's a weekend so I have nothing major to get up for, I'm gonna set my alarm for 11.45 and get nearly 8 hours sleep."

Cue my 14 year old son yelling into my room at 11am "MAAAAAAM the plumber is here!"

Well I nearly jumped out of my skin. I climbed out of my bed (I sleep in the top bunk of a triple bunk bed - double at the bottom for my disabled husband, single at the top for me), threw on some clothes, and opened the door to him looking like I'd just been dragged through a hedge backwards.

I mean who shows up 2 hours early?

On the plus side 7 hours sleep is a big improvement!

T-2 days until the weight loss regime starts.

*I do not really call myself PMP or PinkMobilePhone in real life, I promise. I also don't generally talk to myself in the third person.

Weird when they turn up early (and not late!), I've had that too, but they normally call in advance to check I'm in first :lol:

Glad you got more sleep overall though!

Yeah make sure you don't restrict too much otherwise it's just not sustainable and just feels a bit sad really :tongue: just about fitting it into your daily calorie allowance etc. :smile:
EIGHT HOURS

I had a whole eight hours sleep last night.

Okay granted "last night" = 5am-1pm because I'm just weird like that, but as the whole family are night owls it's okay, I had to wake the 16 year old up at 2.30pm as she was still in bed.
EIGHT HOURS

I had a whole eight hours sleep last night.

Okay granted "last night" = 5am-1pm because I'm just weird like that, but as the whole family are night owls it's okay, I had to wake the 16 year old up at 2.30pm as she was still in bed.

WOOHOO! Nice one! :woo: :yeah: :smug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending