The Student Room Group

D Grade in National Five Application of Maths, Looking for Advice on My Next Moves

Hi (Scottish student)! So last year around the summertime I received my National Five Results:

- A, English
- A, French
- A, history
- A, music
- B, biology
- B, geography
- D, National Five Application of Maths (N5 Apps)

You can see that my strengths rest in the more literary subjects. Out of those seven I have continued with biology, English, French, history and geography (all) at Higher level; meaning of course that I broke off from music and N5 Apps. I understand how stressed it is that you get a pass at least in National Five Maths for a greater chance of being accepted into universities. This brings me to a fickle because of course I sat N5 Apps instead of the more proper maths qualification, which is indeed National Five Maths in its own status.

My school was very firm on how they divided the National Five students from those who would be removed to N5 Apps. Their decision was based on each student's previous performance with their prior time in the subject. Maths has quite often been a struggle for me, and this was recognised when I was clinically diagnosed with dyscalculia at the age of seven or eight years old. But I didn't want for that to hold me back! I had been managing to get by with it, and I was determined to be placed back in a National Five class for maths, as it still appeared to be quite a basal qualification for a fair shot at entry in any university really, and I wanted the opportunity to try hard for a good grade in that qualification.

I had quite a long talk with the head of department about it, and after discussion and debate I was placed back in a National Five class within days. The time, however, at which I was placed in this class was two weeks before one of those major assessments which could be tracked as evidence for your final grade. This of course put me at a disadvantage as I had six other subjects on my belt to juggle it with in terms of revision, and this time track did not allow me the time to study efficiently. This all bearing that I was moved into the class during the middle of the course, not at the beginning of term. The test came and went, I did not perform well at all and was moved back into N5 Apps. I was miffed as the whole thing did feel kind of rigged, so I did brush off the subject and not bother revising for it much after, which shows in my final exam result.

To further your education in maths after getting a pass in N5 Apps (certainly in my school), would result in you being moved onto Higher N5 Apps. You would not be permitted to sit National Five whatsoever. This brings me to the question of N5 Apps and if it is useful in anything at all, provided this circumstance? Its ambiguity in usefulness is what brought me confusion and consequently, a lack in motivation to study for it in the end. National Five is what I hear in my ear all the time, which makes me question N5 Apps's vagueness and if the qualification really grants any use at all? If I were to resit it this year would it be worth it? Or should I have another debate with the head to let me try again at National Five Maths?

As for more next steps, may I have opinions on what I could do? It is law that I would very much like to study, and whilst I have strong faith in my talents surrounding the essay-based subjects along with musical endeavours of mine which extend outside of school (I play the piano at an advanced level), this past experience of mine in maths still floats around in my mind and makes me fret about the future. This thought is more commonly recurring now, given that each week I am coming closer to thinking about universities and when I'm leaving school. I am in S5.

This has been a ramble and a half haha, but any keen comments (tips or past experiences in a situation not unlike this) would truly be appreciated.

Thanks,
M!
(edited 2 years ago)
I didn't do law as I did degree in midwifing as I am almost 3 years qualified as one.
I'm a Scottish resident.....

Different universities ask for different grades, and these change every year, but getting into a law degree can be competitive. A guide to the minimum requirements for each university is listed below and it's a good idea to study hard during the standard grades with the idea of studying hard at higher level also. It is important to note that the requirements below should be achieved in one sitting unless otherwise stated.

Entry requirements vary from university to university and you should always check the details on respective websites or at university open days to ensure you know what the entrance requirements are at each institution. Further details can be found on the UCAS website.

Access to the graduate level LLB (the accelerated LLB) is only available to university graduates.

Please note: only an LLB from one of the ten universities accredited by the Law Society of Scotland forms part of the route to qualification as a solicitor. We would recommend you check with your university to ensure the course is an accredited LLB, if you wish to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland in the future. Any other course, such as a BA in law or an LLM will not form part of the route to qualification as a solicitor in Scotland.

Requirements for law at those universities in Scotland with Nat's 5.
Higher Grades Required Additional Information

Aberdeen AAAB or AABBB BBBB minimum in S5 to be considered. N5 English required / H English desirable

Abertay ABBB N5 Maths and English at B Must include H English or 'literate subject'

Dundee Typical: AAAAB Minimum: ABBB Must have H English at B. Need N5 Maths or a Science at B

Edinburgh AAAAA - ABBB At least BBB in S5 to be considered. H English required at first attempt. Need N5 Maths or an approved science at C

Edinburgh Napier Typical: ABBB Adjusted: BBBC or ABCC to include English or another literary subject* at grade B. N5 Maths and English at C

Glasgow AAAAA - AAABB H English required. LNAT required**

Glasgow Caledonian AABBB N5 Maths required at C. H English required at B
Robert Gordon AABB H English required at B (or written subject requiring use of English)

Stirling AABB (one sitting), AABBB (two sittings) No additional requirements

Strathclyde AAAAB (AAABBBB over two sittings) H English required at B. N5 Maths required at C, or I2 Maths at C.

What qualifications do I need to study law in Scotland?
The standard entry requirement is:
SQA Highers: AAAAA (achievement by end of S5 preferred). BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S5. (Revised 19/04/2021 to remove the grade range and provide more accurate information.)
A Levels: AAA - ABB.
IB : 36 points with 665 at HL - 34 points with 655 at HL.
Original post by Tracey_W
I didn't do law as I did degree in midwifing as I am almost 3 years qualified as one.
I'm a Scottish resident.....

Different universities ask for different grades, and these change every year, but getting into a law degree can be competitive. A guide to the minimum requirements for each university is listed below and it's a good idea to study hard during the standard grades with the idea of studying hard at higher level also. It is important to note that the requirements below should be achieved in one sitting unless otherwise stated.

Entry requirements vary from university to university and you should always check the details on respective websites or at university open days to ensure you know what the entrance requirements are at each institution. Further details can be found on the UCAS website.

Access to the graduate level LLB (the accelerated LLB) is only available to university graduates.

Please note: only an LLB from one of the ten universities accredited by the Law Society of Scotland forms part of the route to qualification as a solicitor. We would recommend you check with your university to ensure the course is an accredited LLB, if you wish to qualify as a solicitor in Scotland in the future. Any other course, such as a BA in law or an LLM will not form part of the route to qualification as a solicitor in Scotland.

Requirements for law at those universities in Scotland with Nat's 5.
Higher Grades Required Additional Information

Aberdeen AAAB or AABBB BBBB minimum in S5 to be considered. N5 English required / H English desirable

Abertay ABBB N5 Maths and English at B Must include H English or 'literate subject'

Dundee Typical: AAAAB Minimum: ABBB Must have H English at B. Need N5 Maths or a Science at B

Edinburgh AAAAA - ABBB At least BBB in S5 to be considered. H English required at first attempt. Need N5 Maths or an approved science at C

Edinburgh Napier Typical: ABBB Adjusted: BBBC or ABCC to include English or another literary subject* at grade B. N5 Maths and English at C

Glasgow AAAAA - AAABB H English required. LNAT required**

Glasgow Caledonian AABBB N5 Maths required at C. H English required at B
Robert Gordon AABB H English required at B (or written subject requiring use of English)

Stirling AABB (one sitting), AABBB (two sittings) No additional requirements

Strathclyde AAAAB (AAABBBB over two sittings) H English required at B. N5 Maths required at C, or I2 Maths at C.

What qualifications do I need to study law in Scotland?
The standard entry requirement is:
SQA Highers: AAAAA (achievement by end of S5 preferred). BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S5. (Revised 19/04/2021 to remove the grade range and provide more accurate information.)
A Levels: AAA - ABB.
IB : 36 points with 665 at HL - 34 points with 655 at HL.

Thank you for the help! I will look into universities later but seeing your response there has made me feel better. :smile:
Original post by an0onymousX_O
Thank you for the help! I will look into universities later but seeing your response there has made me feel better. :smile:

Hi
No probs okay for helping you x

I think the main thing for you is to meet the university entry requirements grades but those what you predicting should hopefully be enough going by what the universities are asking for.

Glad you feel much better after seeing my response...😃 😉
Good luck with things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending