The Student Room Group

Weight loss - will it cause loose skin?

Hi, i'm a 22 year old female who has PCOS and has a tendency to gain weight easily. I'm on a journey to lose roughly 20kg, hopefully within 6mo - 1 year, as i don't want to lose it too quickly.

For the record, i currently weigh 92kg (cries).

I want slow, sustainable weight loss from which i can incorporate into my daily life and hopefully live a healthy lifestyle.

My worry is, do i have a risk of getting loose skin from losing this much weight? I know it's not THAT much, but it's still quite a lot. Also, would losing it in 6mo's be too short, or would you recommend further slowing the rate of weight loss?

Also this is how I'm losing weight: calorie deficit (1600 calories) + gym 6-7 days/week, doing weights/resistance training for at least 1hr and 20 mins of cardio to finish. I'm eating about 100g protein and trying to limit carb intake to about 50g due to my PCOS and high risk of Type 2 Diabetes.

Any advice/personal stories very much welcome!
I have slightly loose skin from losing 2 stone over an 8-9 month period. My starting weight was a lot lower than yours though and I have very fragile skin.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i'm a 22 year old female who has PCOS and has a tendency to gain weight easily. I'm on a journey to lose roughly 20kg, hopefully within 6mo - 1 year, as i don't want to lose it too quickly.

I want slow, sustainable weight loss from which i can incorporate into my daily life and hopefully live a healthy lifestyle.

My worry is, do i have a risk of getting loose skin from losing this much weight? I know it's not THAT much, but it's still quite a lot. Also, would losing it in 6mo's be too short, or would you recommend further slowing the rate of weight loss?

Also this is how I'm losing weight: calorie deficit (1600 calories) + gym 6-7 days/week, doing weights/resistance training for at least 1hr and 20 mins of cardio to finish. I'm eating about 100g protein and trying to limit carb intake to about 50g due to my PCOS and high risk of Type 2 Diabetes.

Hey! Good luck with it! I lost about 20kg/around 3 stone and don't have any loose skin (that I've noticed!). I lost it gradually over about 10-12 months :smile: The main bulk of it was left within 6 months and then a bit more in the following months. Just try not to rush it - both from preventing lose skin but also to help it become a natural part of your diet (obviously slowly start upping calories to maintain once you've hit your goal weight), and so you don't end up putting the weight back on - often this can happen when weight is lost too quickly. Let me know if you want to chat further :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hey! Good luck with it! I lost about 20kg/around 3 stone and don't have any loose skin (that I've noticed!). I lost it gradually over about 10-12 months :smile: The main bulk of it was left within 6 months and then a bit more in the following months. Just try not to rush it - both from preventing lose skin but also to help it become a natural part of your diet (obviously slowly start upping calories to maintain once you've hit your goal weight), and so you don't end up putting the weight back on - often this can happen when weight is lost too quickly. Let me know if you want to chat further :smile:

thanks so much for the reply! this is very reassuring and I will take on board your advice. It'd be great to chat :smile:
Reply 4
I have slightly loose skin from losing 2 stone over an 8-9 month period. My starting weight was a lot lower than yours though and I have very fragile skin.

oh wow didn't expect that! alright thanks :smile:
Just a warning, don’t do cardio every day!! Your body gets used to it and then you stop losing weight.
Also DONT exercise 7 days a week!! You again won’t give your body time to recover and won’t lose weight as fast! You also probably won’t be able to maintain it, especially on a calorie deficit.
It’s best to do cardio 2/3 days a week and weight training 3/5 with 1/2 rest days. That will optimise your weight loss.
I lost 36lbs since may and don't have loose skin.
It depends on how much kgs and time lenght <3I would like to tell my story of how I lost almost 25 kg in a year and a half.it started when it was corona respectively when it started Corona I was 18 years old now I am 21.I weighed 110 kg (now I am 88 kg) at the time That was because I had epilepsy And the medicaments I was taking at the time had such a side effect that I ate a lot, but that extremely.I'll tell you what my typical day looked like, I got up around eight in the morning, ate, took a skate, and actually went to a nearby town which is 7 kilometers on foot as a morning run, then I usually skated until seven in the evening and then the ninth in the evening and then I went 7km on foot home and this is how it was all summer.In the fall, I only practiced such cardio at home.During all that time, during all that time, I had no diet that I forbade sweet, white pastries.I ate what I wanted when I wanted and what I wanted.The only thing I followed was the drinking regime because so much exercise I waved was sweating like when you see in those memes the guy who is extremely against the stress haha.and the second thing was that I followed the parents who created my ketogenic diet.that is, it is possible to lose more than 20 kilos of fat in one and a half years. Probably it was, but so much so!P.S Share this as much possible because I know there are people who want to make themself body look better <3

Hi, I have PCOS as well and I've basically had a mild eating disorder since I've been about 15 because of this condition.
I put on weight in lockdown and I've lost about a stone by going to the gym and eating healthily since September. But I don't seem to be losing anymore and I'm about a stone or so overweight.
It sounds really dramatic cos PCOS gave me an eating disorder I sometimes feel like its ruining my life lol... I wanted to speak to someone else who has PCOS. what sort of diet do you follow?

Quick Reply

Latest