The Student Room Group

Should I take GCSE Geography, History, Design and Technology or Music?

Hi, I’m in Year 9 and need to choose my GCSE subjects soon (in around a month, in February).
So far I have picked:
Maths
English Reading
English Literature
Triple Science
Computer Science
Economics
German

I just need to pick another subject out of Geography, History, DT and Music.
Which one should I do?

Scroll to see replies

I cant speak on geography and dt but I do music ajd history and I'm in year 11 atm

History is one of my favourite subjects and I love it. There is a lot of content to remember, however I find it quite easy to remember the info (especially when it's an interesting topic) and if you like history at KS3 you'll probabaly like it at gcse

Music is split into 3 parts, performance composition and theory. Performance is fine as long as you can play an instrument to grade 3 level, composition i find ok but it depends on the person. Music theory is hard I won't lie, but if you love music then you probably won't mind doing it

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by thrivingfrog
I cant speak on geography and dt but I do music ajd history and I'm in year 11 atm

History is one of my favourite subjects and I love it. There is a lot of content to remember, however I find it quite easy to remember the info (especially when it's an interesting topic) and if you like history at KS3 you'll probabaly like it at gcse

Music is split into 3 parts, performance composition and theory. Performance is fine as long as you can play an instrument to grade 3 level, composition i find ok but it depends on the person. Music theory is hard I won't lie, but if you love music then you probably won't mind doing it

Good luck!

Oh ok thank you so much! I passed Grade 5 theory with distinction so I might not find it too hard - hopefully. I don’t really like history and I’m not really good at it but I might need it if I want to become a lawyer.
Original post by Anisa_M27
Oh ok thank you so much! I passed Grade 5 theory with distinction so I might not find it too hard - hopefully. I don’t really like history and I’m not really good at it but I might need it if I want to become a lawyer.

Definitely do music then in that case! If you don't like history then I wouldn't do it, because then its gonna be a pain to revise and you could probably get a higher grade in another subject. In terms of becoming a lawyer, look at entry requirements on university websites to see what you need :smile:
Reply 4
Definitely do music then in that case! If you don't like history then I wouldn't do it, because then its gonna be a pain to revise and you could probably get a higher grade in another subject. In terms of becoming a lawyer, look at entry requirements on university websites to see what you need :smile:

Yea, I think I'm going to consider music as well as product design because I might decide to be an engineer.
Reply 5
Hi, I’m in Year 9 and need to choose my GCSE subjects soon (in around a month, in February).
So far I have picked:
Maths
English Reading
English Literature
Triple Science
Computer Science
Economics
German

Which one should I do?

i cant speak from persoal experience on geography + music, but i have friends that do them and i hear very little thats positive about them so take with that what you will.
as for DT, dont. I hated it so much i wrote a 1500 word essay to the school about why they should let me drop it, and was eventually allowed to. but if the department at your school is actually half decent it probably wont be as bad as it was for me - my school just didnt teach us anything for it in all the lockdowns + was not helpful at all with coursework.
history is amazing i love history its so interesting do it. everyone i know who does it likes it
Reply 6
Original post by edjc123
i cant speak from persoal experience on geography + music, but i have friends that do them and i hear very little thats positive about them so take with that what you will.
as for DT, dont. I hated it so much i wrote a 1500 word essay to the school about why they should let me drop it, and was eventually allowed to. but if the department at your school is actually half decent it probably wont be as bad as it was for me - my school just didnt teach us anything for it in all the lockdowns + was not helpful at all with coursework.
history is amazing i love history its so interesting do it. everyone i know who does it likes it

I'm not exactly very good at history, I didn't do very well in Year 8 and am trying to do better. Apparently history includes writing a lot of essays; is this true? I hate writing essays and am very bad at doing so.
I'm not exactly very good at history, I didn't do very well in Year 8 and am trying to do better. Apparently history includes writing a lot of essays; is this true? I hate writing essays and am very bad at doing so.

Yeah the whole exam is writing long answers (16 markers and stuff)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah the whole exam is writing long answers (16 markers and stuff)

Oh ok in that case, I probably won't take history, I'm not good at writing essays and long answers any way.
Oh ok in that case, I probably won't take history, I'm not good at writing essays and long answers any way.

I'd go with music and DT - don't bother with Economics as you don't need GCSE to do A level.
Reply 10
So far I have picked:
Maths
English Reading
English Literature
Triple Science
Computer Science
Economics
German

Which one should I do?

Geography is the kind of subject that you either love or hate, so I suggest looking over the topics learnt at GCSE level before picking it just so you don't bore yourself in the future. Personally, I loved Geography and I'm picking it for A Levels. It's quite easy for me to wrap my head around the topics but it still does require as much revision as any other subject if you're looking to get a good grade.

As for Music, some would consider it easy but others wouldn't. I was basically forced into picking Music due to how the option blocks were structured, and having no previous experience on playing an instrument, it was, and still continues to be, a real challenge. There is a LOT of theory work that sometimes just puts me off the subject overall. It's a fun subject, don't get me wrong, but I'd only advise you take it if you consider it a real GCSE subject and not just a free period.

I can't help you out with History or DT, but your other subjects look like a good combination!
Reply 11
Original post by arkeiws
Geography is the kind of subject that you either love or hate, so I suggest looking over the topics learnt at GCSE level before picking it just so you don't bore yourself in the future. Personally, I loved Geography and I'm picking it for A Levels. It's quite easy for me to wrap my head around the topics but it still does require as much revision as any other subject if you're looking to get a good grade.

As for Music, some would consider it easy but others wouldn't. I was basically forced into picking Music due to how the option blocks were structured, and having no previous experience on playing an instrument, it was, and still continues to be, a real challenge. There is a LOT of theory work that sometimes just puts me off the subject overall. It's a fun subject, don't get me wrong, but I'd only advise you take it if you consider it a real GCSE subject and not just a free period.

I can't help you out with History or DT, but your other subjects look like a good combination!

I personally find geography a bit boring and I don't get good grades in it very often. I might go with music as I already play some instruments and it may be quite easy for me.
So far I have picked:
Maths
English Reading
English Literature
Triple Science
Computer Science
Economics
German

Which one should I do?

I did geography, dt and history. I loved dt, and in my opinion it’s good to do at least one creative subject because it breaks up your day. History was very very boring however if you enjoy it do it. Geography I did not enjoy either however I’d say choose it over history because you can do a lot of things with it and also has a small practical side like school trips. Hope this helps!
Original post by ScarletAH
I did geography, dt and history. I loved dt, and in my opinion it’s good to do at least one creative subject because it breaks up your day. History was very very boring however if you enjoy it do it. Geography I did not enjoy either however I’d say choose it over history because you can do a lot of things with it and also has a small practical side like school trips. Hope this helps!

History has school trips as well, but only if your teachers arrange them tbf 😂

OP you don't need any specific GCSEs or A-Levels or a specific undergrad degree to be a lawyer, take what you will enjoy
Reply 14
Original post by ScarletAH

Yea history can be quite boring most of the time, and I don't really enjoy doing it. According to my friend's sister, there is a lot of group work, which I do enjoy, but I'm not really sure if I'm going to do history just for the group work.
in my opinion do not do dt it is the most horrible subject i have ever done i regret taking it for gcse sm. you have to do an NEA which is so time consuming, you also have to properly make a product within the design brief you have chosen and then on top of that you have to learn lots of things for the theory exam. geography is easy to pass you only need 50% for a 5, im not very interested in it but it is still easy to pass without doing much revision. my friends that take history dont enjoy it as they say its a lot of work and its boring to them. your grade 5 theory will help you massively in music, but there is a lot of composition and you have to learn 'case studies' for different types of music.
(edited 2 years ago)
So far I have picked:
Maths
English Reading
English Literature
Triple Science
Computer Science
Economics
German

Which one should I do?

From your other subjects, you’ve chosen quite heavy essay based courses, so it really depends on what you enjoy!

DT and Music are definitely going to be a bit more on the practical side of things if you want to take some weight off of your shoulders.

But I took geography and I’m now studying it at A-Level and honestly I really enjoyed it, but the passion for the subject has to be there.

So depends on whether you want to have a more practical or essay based subject :smile:
Yea history can be quite boring most of the time, and I don't really enjoy doing it. According to my friend's sister, there is a lot of group work, which I do enjoy, but I'm not really sure if I'm going to do history just for the group work.

If you don’t enjoy it don’t do it. I never did any group work and it was so dull
Reply 18
Original post by apples983
in my opinion do not do dt it is the most horrible subject i have ever done i regret taking it for gcse sm. you have to do an NEA which is so time consuming, you also have to properly make a product within the design brief you have chosen and then on top of that you have to learn lots of things for the theory exam. geography is easy to pass you only need 50% for a 5, im not very interested in it but it is still easy to pass without doing much revision. my friends that take history dont enjoy it as they say its a lot of work and its boring to them. your grade 5 theory will help you massively in music, but there is a lot of composition and you have to learn 'case studies' for different types of music.

does it depend on what exam board my school uses for music?
Reply 19
Original post by bethany_gribble
From your other subjects, you’ve chosen quite heavy essay based courses, so it really depends on what you enjoy!

DT and Music are definitely going to be a bit more on the practical side of things if you want to take some weight off of your shoulders.

But I took geography and I’m now studying it at A-Level and honestly I really enjoyed it, but the passion for the subject has to be there.

So depends on whether you want to have a more practical or essay based subject :smile:

i would probably want a practical subject tbh, so i'm probably going to end up picking music

Quick Reply

Latest