The Student Room Group

Hoarse voice and covid?

Hey guys,

So I've developed a bit of a sore throat and hoarse voice over the past couple of days. I'm just wondering if anyone has had these symptoms with covid? I don't have a cough, fever or changes to my taste or smell.I have done a lateral flow and that's negative (but I know it's very possible for it to be negative for a while at the start of a covid infection).

Also, I'm wondering how long a PCR test takes at the moment? I work with vulnerable people so I'm on the priority list (and doing a test for that reason even though I don't have the classical symptoms).

Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

So I've developed a bit of a sore throat and hoarse voice over the past couple of days. I'm just wondering if anyone has had these symptoms with covid? I don't have a cough, fever or changes to my taste or smell.I have done a lateral flow and that's negative (but I know it's very possible for it to be negative for a while at the start of a covid infection).

Also, I'm wondering how long a PCR test takes at the moment? I work with vulnerable people so I'm on the priority list (and doing a test for that reason even though I don't have the classical symptoms).

You can only have a PCR test done if you have a positive lateral flow test ( left ).
Do another test few days time and repeat every few days or possible daily due to your nature of work you do. Testing should be done daily if you treating people in there own homes or care home as more risks involved.

At present of don't sounds like you have covid19 as remember symptoms are very similar to common flu/cold. Tests are accurate as they possible can be although you might be positive the lateral flow test not finding the genetic genes for covid19 virus therefore saying its negative.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself being a NHS frontline midwife in labor ward of hospital maternity unit, I'm testing nearly every day as i work 3 long shifts per week plus outside of there I'm mixing with people in another environment I work in and meeting friends & family so it's important I'm testing anyway.
Hey, I had COVID in September and sore throat/hoarse voice were the main symptoms I had - weird considering they aren’t listed as official symptoms. Definitely try and get a PCR test if you can, when I got mine I ordered it to my house, it came the next day, then got the results like 2 days after I sent it back. Also keep doing lateral flows every day with the kind of work you do, I had symptoms for about 4 days while testing negative
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
You can only have a PCR test done if you have a positive lateral flow test ( left ).
Do another test few days time and repeat every few days or possible daily due to your nature of work you do. Testing should be done daily if you treating people in there own homes or care home as more risks involved.

At present of don't sounds like you have covid19 as remember symptoms are very similar to common flu/cold. Tests are accurate as they possible can be although you might be positive the lateral flow test not finding the genetic genes for covid19 virus therefore saying its negative.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself being a NHS frontline midwife in labor ward of hospital maternity unit, I'm testing nearly every day as i work 3 long shifts per week plus outside of there I'm mixing with people in another environment I work in and meeting friends & family so it's important I'm testing anyway.

This is incorrect, you are not supposed to lateral flows when you have symptoms, you are supposed to go straight to a PCR test. My symptoms feel like cold symptoms, hence I have organised a PCR.
Reply 4
Hey, I had COVID in September and sore throat/hoarse voice were the main symptoms I had - weird considering they aren’t listed as official symptoms. Definitely try and get a PCR test if you can, when I got mine I ordered it to my house, it came the next day, then got the results like 2 days after I sent it back. Also keep doing lateral flows every day with the kind of work you do, I had symptoms for about 4 days while testing negativeT

I have an appointment for a PCR test tomorrow so hopefully will get a result pretty soon. I'm going to be isolating until I get a result as I'm not at work for a few days anyway. Thanks for your help and hope you do nor have any lasting effects from the Covid.
This is incorrect, you are not supposed to lateral flows when you have symptoms, you are supposed to go straight to a PCR test. My symptoms feel like cold symptoms, hence I have organised a PCR.

So why do people use them daily for testing prior to going to start work as instructed by employer when if you should as you said use a pcr test instead.....

Rapid lateral flow coronavirus (COVID-19) tests
You can get rapid lateral flow tests if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Information:
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you need a different test called a PCR test. Get a PCR test if you have symptoms of COVID-19 on GOV.UK

About rapid lateral flow tests
About 1 in 3 people with COVID-19 do not have symptoms but can still infect others.

Rapid tests help to check if someone has COVID-19. If people test positive and self-isolate, it helps stop the virus spreading.

Research shows rapid tests are a reliable test for COVID-19. They give a quick result and do not need to be sent to a lab.

Even if you're vaccinated, you could still catch the virus or pass it on. Doing rapid tests helps to protect yourself and others.

When to do rapid tests
Do rapid tests on days when you're more likely to catch or spread COVID-19.

For example, do a test before you:

mix with people in crowded indoor places
visit someone who is at higher risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
You should also do daily rapid tests (1 a day for 7 days) if you've been in contact with someone with COVID-19 and are either:

fully vaccinated
under 18 years and 6 months old
Find out more about daily testing on GOV.UK.
Reply 6
So why do people use them daily for testing prior to going to start work as instructed by employer when if you should as you said use a pcr test instead.....

They do them when they have no symptoms. I do have symptoms.

I'm perfectly capable of using google, but thanks for the copied and pasted information anyway.
They do them when they have no symptoms. I do have symptoms.

I'm perfectly capable of using google, but thanks for the copied and pasted information anyway.

Information is from both the NHS & government websites not useless information ones.
Reply 8
Information is from both the NHS & government websites not useless information ones.

Like I said, I'm perfectly capable of googling and I know where the information is from. It doesn't answer the questions in my OP, but thanks anyway.
Hey guys,

There's a "bug" going around like wild fire at the moment. Whether it's Omicron or not is hard to say. I've had it in the past 5 weeks and it was for me, worse than what I believe was Covid back in early 2020.

Started with sore throat which came on quickly then a hacking cough develops in upper respiratory which is annoying. It then goes to lower respiratory which is nasty and you have lots of gunk in your lungs you have to keep trying to cough up. Losing your voice overnight is not uncommon with this bug.

So it will be interesting to see how you progress.

At no stage have I tested positive for Covid with LF tests but I've seen news articles suggesting maybe the test kits aren't great at picking it up.

Takes weeks to fully get rid of the cough
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
There's a "bug" going around like wild fire at the moment. Whether it's Omicron or not is hard to say. I've had it in the past 5 weeks and it was for me, worse than what I believe was Covid back in early 2020.

Started with sore throat which came on quickly then a hacking cough develops in upper respiratory which is annoying. It then goes to lower respiratory which is nasty and you have lots of gunk in your lungs you have to keep trying to cough up. Losing your voice overnight is not uncommon with this bug.

At no stage have I tested positive for Covid with LF tests but I've seen news articles suggesting maybe the test kits aren't great at picking it up.

Takes weeks to fully get rid of the cough

If you are coughing up gunk from your lungs, you may well need antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.
If you are coughing up gunk from your lungs, you may well need antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.

I did take some at the point I realised it was becoming an infection rather than viral. I'm fine now thanks

I have tested positive. Still testing negative on lateral flows - I'm now on day 4 of symptoms.

In terms of symptoms, still have a hoarse voice, scratchy throat and had muscle aches and a bit of a headache yesterday.

Moral of the story - get a PCR test if you get any symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection.

Moral of the story - get a PCR test if you get any symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection.

Or just isolate anyway so whatever bug you have doesn't get spread to others. Not really that difficult is it imo?
Or just isolate anyway so whatever bug you have doesn't get spread to others. Not really that difficult is it imo?

Many people's workplaces would be reluctant to let them isolate for 7 days - at least with covid, it's the law at the moment.
Reply 15
Sore scratchy throat and loss of energy is classic omicron. You zhoold be getting better by now
Original post by NJA
Sore scratchy throat and loss of energy is classic omicron. You zhoold be getting better by now

If anything, I feel worse :frown:
Reply 17
If anything, I feel worse :frown:

How many jabs or previous infections?
Original post by NJA
How many jabs or previous infections?

Fully jabbed (with conformed antibodies), no previous infections
Hey guys,

omg i had those exact symptoms!
on friday, i had a hoarse voice and my throat felt almost scratchy? not sore, but scratchy
i tested and everyday it came negative until yesterday when my lateral flow came positive; however, only with the faintest line.

Quick Reply

Latest