The Student Room Group

Face masks on public transport

Is there any point wearing one? I am on a train and I am the only one wearing one on my carriage. I rarely see the transport police and when I do they don’t enforce the wearing of face masks.why don’t the government use the army to enforce it. Other countries they enforce it better but not us

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prioritise your safety. Keep a distance from others.

If people are not wearing a mask, then they don't seem concerned about their own safety.

Wearing a mask should be compulsory by law.
If you are in London, wearing a mask on all public transport is compulsory unless you can prove an exemption applies to you.
If you are not prepared to wear a pandemic mask or other facial covering, just stay out of all venues that require them.
I won't use public transport during the pandemic nor go anywhere near large scale gathering/crowded areas.
I have never worn any pandemic facial covering and never will.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
If you are in London, wearing a mask on all public transport is compulsory unless you can prove an exemption applies to you.
If you are not prepared to wear a pandemic mask or other facial covering, just stay out of all venues that require them.
I won't use public transport during the pandemic nor go anywhere near large scale gathering/crowded areas.

Transport in other cities has signs to wear mask still
I think im wearing masks on public transport forever now tbh, people are clatty.
Reply 5
I'm on a train and the three people I can see are wearing them.

Actually guy opposite has just lowered his to eat crisps.

He has stopped and put it back up.
I would end exemptions, accepting that is does not have to be a mask, but a face shield, snood or scarf can be used. However Mr Johnson will not do this especially as Matt Hancock tried to board a tube train without one.

I was in Munich in September 2020 and no-one did not wear one. A few removed them within a couple of seconds of leaving the train, but all had them on inside.
Reply 7
Original post by mondays child
I would end exemptions, accepting that is does not have to be a mask, but a face shield, snood or scarf can be used. However Mr Johnson will not do this especially as Matt Hancock tried to board a tube train without one.

I was in Munich in September 2020 and no-one did not wear one. A few removed them within a couple of seconds of leaving the train, but all had them on inside.

A face shield would take care of that. They would be able to breathe freely and all their particles go onto the face shield and not on people.

Safety is critical. Everyone is entitled to use transport without the fear of Covid.
Original post by JVM2020
Safety is critical. Everyone is entitled to use transport without the fear of Covid.

The last bit seems a bit much tbh, you weren't entitled to travel without fear of catching stuff off passengers before? You can expect reasonable precautions, but that's about it. Expecting to be able to not worry about a pandemic during a pandemic sounds a bit of an unrealistic luxury?
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
The last bit seems a bit much tbh, you weren't entitled to travel without fear of catching stuff off passengers before? You can expect reasonable precautions, but that's about it. Expecting to be able to not worry about a pandemic during a pandemic sounds a bit of an unrealistic luxury?

Precautions matter so much. They should bring back penalties for the troublemakers who don't wear masks.
Original post by JVM2020
Precautions matter so much. They should bring back penalties for the troublemakers who don't wear masks.

I'm not arguing, but it's not really related to what I said? You're not entitled not to worry about the pandemic or demand such reassurance from others? You can only expect them to do their best.

What about the shops?
Original post by Captain Haddock
What about the shops?

I stay out of all premises and venues where face coverings are mandatory.
I stay out of all premises and venues where face coverings are mandatory.

Wow that is... Something.
Original post by Captain Haddock
What about the shops?

I'd have one way systems and (most shops have them) the screens at tills.
Original post by mondays child
I'd have one way systems and (most shops have them) the screens at tills.

Many openly have screens at tills
Reply 16
But here in HK, an expert is calling for everyone to wear two masks when going outside!
Everyone wears a mask whenever they are outside home unless they are dining, and the street was almost EMPTY in the past week. The number of cases in HK peaked at 35 and is going back down now. And this is for OMICRON.
Reply 17
Probably doesnt make a difference at this point given how prevelent Covid is but what harm does it do? If nothing else it mitigates breathing in other peoples filthy used air and everything that entails, covid itself or not.
Reply 18
Original post by Napp
Probably doesnt make a difference at this point given how prevelent Covid is but what harm does it do? If nothing else it mitigates breathing in other peoples filthy used air and everything that entails, covid itself or not.

My mum told me that almost everyone on an MTR train yesterday wore 2 face masks onboard!
Reply 19
Meh, I’m exempt so haven’t worn a face mask this entire pandemic, doesn’t make a difference but those who should wear them of course wear them. No one really needs to kick up a fuss about it in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending