The Student Room Group

depressed but don't want to go back on a/d meds bc they change your personality

i don't want to take them, last time they just changed my personality, hell they even messed with my sexual preferences which was weird af. all the crazy side effects, not worth it.

i don't know how people just cope with their every day lives and find motivation to do stuff. i have no motivation to do anything with my life anymore.. me and my boyfriend argue every day, evenw alking our dog is a struggle for me/ i'm already in my 20s so my life is becoming more and more worthless every day, especially in my community. i don't know how to fix things, if reincarnation was real i wouldnt bother trying :///

Scroll to see replies

If you don’t want to take meds… don’t take meds.
Reply 2
Original post by Cancelled Alice
If you don’t want to take meds… don’t take meds.

i'm not. but idk what to do, i'm so unhappy with my life
Reply 3
Maybe talk to your GP about other therapies? Might not be as effective but you won't have those side effects?
Original post by Ciel.
i'm not. but idk what to do, i'm so unhappy with my life

Are you unhappy with your life for an identifiable reason? Is there anything you could do to change it?
If not meds, what are you going to do to help yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by coco:)
Maybe talk to your GP about other therapies? Might not be as effective but you won't have those side effects?

therapy doesn't work on me
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Are you unhappy with your life for an identifiable reason? Is there anything you could do to change it?
If not meds, what are you going to do to help yourself?

idk. sometimes i wish i could be financially independent, sometimes i'm sick of my boyfriend. but that's not the main reason i guess. on the other hand tho i i wish i was in my early teens again. i don't know whats causing my depression, prob messed up brain chemistry or whatever.
and i don't think there's anything i can do.i just cant bring myself to care about anything anymore, even stuff like taking iron and vitamin supplements or eating healthy, which would help me feel better physically
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.

ah sorry hope you find something soon to help :smile:
Original post by Ciel.

idk. sometimes i wish i could be financially independent, sometimes i'm sick of my boyfriend. but that's not the main reason i guess. on the other hand tho i i wish i was in my early teens again. i don't know whats causing my depression, prob messed up brain chemistry or whatever.
and i don't think there's anything i can do.i just cant bring myself to care about anything anymore, even stuff like taking iron and vitamin supplements or eating healthy, which would help me feel better physically

If you don't even know why then I think its more your brain, that explains why therapy wouldn't work. Are you against all meds? If you really don't want to that's completely fine, but maybe talk to a doctor about ones that aren't as jarring. Work on things one at a time, mapping out how you could be financially independent in say 5 years, working out what about your boyfriend you're not happy with.
Reply 8
Original post by *****deadness
If you don't even know why then I think its more your brain, that explains why therapy wouldn't work. Are you against all meds? If you really don't want to that's completely fine, but maybe talk to a doctor about ones that aren't as jarring. Work on things one at a time, mapping out how you could be financially independent in say 5 years, working out what about your boyfriend you're not happy with.

i'm not against meds actually. i regularly take sleep meds/sedatives. but antidepressants.. i've tried so many different so many different ones, the result is always the same. they just turn me into a sleppy zombie with weird thoughts and give me violent dreams :<
Original post by Ciel.
i'm not against meds actually. i regularly take sleep meds/sedatives. but antidepressants.. i've tried so many different so many different ones, the result is always the same. they just turn me into a sleppy zombie with weird thoughts and give me violent dreams :<

Have you tried any drugs from the "antipsychotic" class?
Original post by Ciel.

Huh, never happened when I had them, although I wouldn't wanna take them anymore even though I still hate my life. If they make things worse then of course there's no point, although it does seem like a bit of a push would help
Reply 11
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you tried any drugs from the "antipsychotic" class?

yeah. olanzapine like 2 months ago (+ fluoxetine) but had to stop taking it
Original post by *****deadness
Huh, never happened when I had them, although I wouldn't wanna take them anymore even though I still hate my life. If they make things worse then of course there's no point, although it does seem like a bit of a push would help

idk maybe i just have a weird reaction to them
Original post by Ciel.
yeah. olanzapine like 2 months ago (+ fluoxetine) but had to stop taking it

olanzapine, ime, is very sedating, makes you fat and stupid.

have you considered abilify?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
olanzapine, ime, is very sedating, makes you fat and stupid.

have you considered abilify?

but it can also make you fat right? all meds from that group can, i think? don't think i could live with that fear, i'm a bit obsessive about my weight/appearance
Original post by Ciel.

as someone who also thought therapy didn't work for me. it might just be that you need a different type of therapy or just a different therapist. for example I despised CBT and it absolutely didn't work for me but talking therapy really did.
Original post by Ciel.
but it can also make you fat right? all meds from that group can, i think? don't think i could live with that fear, i'm a bit obsessive about my weight/appearance

Abilify is probably the least likely antipsychotic to cause weight gain. It is the most energizing one for a lot of people (works differently chemically than others). When I was on it I was surviving on 4 hours sleep and had so much energy. I even bought a rowing machine to try and lose the weight I gained from other antipsychotics.
Reply 16
Original post by annamoore17
as someone who also thought therapy didn't work for me. it might just be that you need a different type of therapy or just a different therapist. for example I despised CBT and it absolutely didn't work for me but talking therapy really did.

glad it worked for you, that's great : ) but tbh i can't stand therapists. they're so easy to manipulate, too. it's child's play....
Reply 17
Abilify is probably the least likely antipsychotic to cause weight gain. It is the most energizing one for a lot of people (works differently chemically than others). When I was on it I was surviving on 4 hours sleep and had so much energy. I even bought a rowing machine to try and lose the weight I gained from other antipsychotics.

really? hmm i'll think about it but they scare me tbh. it's frustrating that ssris work for so many others. just my luck i guess
Original post by Ciel.
really? hmm i'll think about it but they scare me tbh. it's frustrating that ssris work for so many others. just my luck i guess

SSRIs don't work for me either. :console:

Do some reading into abilify. While it didn't ultimately work for me, it does help a lot of people. But of course, knowledge is power and if you read about it you can then have an informed discussion with your psychiatrist.
Original post by Ciel.
really? hmm i'll think about it but they scare me tbh. it's frustrating that ssris work for so many others. just my luck I guess

There are non SSRI antidepressants

Quick Reply

Latest