The Student Room Group

Handed my uni exam late, so annoyed

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ..ki124..
I was on track to a distinction and this throws a massive spanner in the works, does anyone have any experience of this? Do they allow uncapped retakes ? or will they accept the work, uncapped?

No - it will in all likelihood be a capped pass for any resubmission. You don't have any valid reason for not submitting in time.

Honestly so demotivated and somewhat depressed, a year saving up for my masters and the hours of revision and lack of social life for 6 weeks, all for a capped retake... I am still on a 71%, overall(52% on that module capped) but if I got a first on this exam I would have defo got the min requirement for a distinction. And set my up for the MUCH harder 2nd sem.

I don't want to compound your misery here, but why would you leave the submission of such an important piece of work to so close to a deadline, and dependent on various machines working properly? Let's face it: you had a long, long time to get this work completed and submitted, so it was a bit foolish to end up in a position where you're going to get a capped result due to non-submission. First-year undergrads do this once and then learn not to leave submitting to the last minute, but not Masters students who, as you have pointed out, saved lots of money and worked hard to be able to take their qualification.

EDITED due to a lack of careful reading!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I don't want to compound your misery here, but why would you leave the submission of such an important piece of work to so close to a deadline, and dependent on various machines working properly? Let's face it: you had a long, long time to get this work completed and submitted, so it was a bit foolish to end up in a position where you're going to get a capped result due to non-submission. First-year undergrads do this once and then learn not to leave submitting to the last minute, but not Masters students who, as you have pointed out, saved lots of money and worked hard to be able to take their qualification.

I think this was an online exam (not coursework) where you only have a limited amount of time after the exam to submit the work. OP correct me if I'm wrong on that. 30 minutes isn't that long - we get 45 minutes but even that is cutting it fine sometimes when you have to convert and compile things into PDFs. I do feel sorry for you but I think you will be capped as universities are very strict on this :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
No - it will in all likelihood be a capped pass for any resubmission. You don't have any valid reason for not submitting in time.

Sorry, on an irrelevant matter, what do you suggest is the latest submission a student can make before their deadline? I’ve got 2 essays due on the same date, but I am doing my best to finish them a few (5) days before at least. I’m anxious about submitting late and having no resubmissions allowed before the deadline (normally it’s allowed on my course, so it is unlikely to be an issue to be honest).

Sorry about this mate 😥
Original post by Anonymous
I think this was an online exam (not coursework) where you only have a limited amount of time after the exam to submit the work. OP correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't read the OP carefully enough and assumed it was coursework. I'll edit my post :smile:
Original post by wifd149
Sorry, on an irrelevant matter, what do you suggest is the latest submission a student can make before their deadline? I’ve got 2 essays due on the same date, but I am doing my best to finish them a few (5) days before at least. I’m anxious about submitting late and having no resubmissions allowed before the deadline (normally it’s allowed on my course, so it is unlikely to be an issue to be honest).

Sorry about this mate 😥

No, no problem at all :smile: And see my post above - I should have read more carefully, and noted that this was an online examination rather than traditional coursework, and you had much less time than normal.

To answer your question above, I think that's very sensible to leave as much time as possible. Maybe two days is a bit excessive, unless you're sure that you can't add to the work in that time, and you're completely happy that the work is to the standard you want. If, on the other hand, you think you could do with the extra time to polish the work, then I suggest leaving a day in hand for any issues such as you had with your first submission. Basically, don't leave just a couple of hours before the submission deadline - the very very minimum I'd leave is a good half-day to sort out any issues.

As with the other poster, you have my sympathies - tech often doesn't work, and online examinations are stressful enough really without having things let you down at the last minute.
Reply 6
Had an exam, revised hard for it, the exam was easy, since there were a few past papers Q, some with answers and the ones that weren't I knew that topic well, this exam went well, I aced it.

The only problem was when it was time to hand it, I had 30 mins, and my scanner crapped out, it was also much slower than I thought it'll be. It would work, so I tried using my phone but its a 7 yr old android and the camera is bad and had a black spot, so I had to retake pics, My exam was also no longer in order and I had to spend time ordering it from the exam Q. At this point time was up, I then tried to move it to my comp but I didn't have a wire that worked, so tried other methods, until I decided after 10 mins, I could send it to myself on FB. I then had to write a mitigating circumstance form and I frantically emailed my lecturers.

I am so pissed, I aced the exam, and it took me god damn, 1 Hour and 30 mins to upload it after the above, I revised with corona and spent so much time on it. I currently still recovering from corona and still chose to sit the exam, since I prepped for it...

I was on track to a distinction and this throws a massive spanner in the works, does anyone have any experience of this? Do they allow uncapped retakes ? or will they accept the work, uncapped?

I am happy to do a retake as long as it ain't capped, my uni info says they only allow capped retakes though in these circumstances. Honestly so demotivated and somewhat depressed, a year saving up for my masters and the hours of revision and lack of social life for 6 weeks, all for a capped retake... I am still on a 71%, overall(52% on that module capped) but if I got a first on this exam I would have defo got the min requirement for a distinction. And set my up for the MUCH harder 2nd sem.

If you submitted a mitigating circumstances form, it will most probably be considered though, isn’t it? Even if it comes out rejected, you may still be able to appeal the outcome to your university?
Original post by wifd149
If you submitted a mitigating circumstances form, it will most probably be considered though, isn’t it? Even if it comes out rejected, you may still be able to appeal the outcome to your university?

sadly quite a lot of unis don't accept mitigating circumstances forms after the end of the exam submission time... if op had sent one in as soon as their scanner wasn't working they probably would have considered it
however, I think you should still try and explain your circumstances to someone (tutor perhaps) and send a mitigating circumstance... the worst that can happen is that they will reject it which you've probably already accepted the idea of
Reply 9
(edited 2 years ago)
as someone pointed out this was an online exam, some unis only offer 20 mins to upload, I left 30 mins, I did an online exam last yr of my BSC and it took 10 mins to upload, this time everything that could go wrong did added with the brain fog of corona and having just done a draining exam, I ended up sending it late, I honestly have no idea how it took that long...

Another thing I didn't mention was at first I intended to just do it on word doc and scan pics, but I was typing too slow so moved to hand written, scanning them took forever and my scanner just didn't work for whatever reason, I waited and scanned again, at this point, I was 10 mins off and rushed to take pics, I was for sure unprepared for this format, but even then, It was a bunch of unfortunate events.

Yes, indeed - and this is why I am sympathetic to it. I would submit an EC or similar, mentioning the recovery from Covid. It's 'irregular', so it would be worth speaking to your tutor or programme leader about the likelihood of it being accepted first, but I think it's worth a go.
Original post by Anonymous
sadly quite a lot of unis don't accept mitigating circumstances forms after the end of the exam submission time... if op had sent one in as soon as their scanner wasn't working they probably would have considered it

My uni has a deadline for mitigating circumstances after the exams, that’s because there are many circumstances that cannot be predicted in advance (e.g. suddenly getting hit by a truck). OP still would have to check what are their policies though, but I am certain that they would at least consider it since he submitted the form formally (assuming that is what he did). Universities don’t generally conspire against students on purpose nor make their situations more difficult, in my perspective.
Original post by wifd149
My uni has a deadline for mitigating circumstances after the exams, that’s because there are many circumstances that cannot be predicted in advance (e.g. suddenly getting hit by a truck). OP still would have to check what are their policies though, but I am certain that they would at least consider it since he submitted the form formally (assuming that is what he did). Universities don’t generally conspire against students on purpose nor make their situations more difficult, in my perspective.

Sorry I was talking more about mitigating circumstances that arise within an online exam i.e. exam paper not downloading, losing internet connection and many others link in the case of OP. Quite a lot of my friends at other universities agree with me on the fact they can't submit mitigating circumstances on those issues after the completion of an exam - it could potentially be seen as cheating. But of course, if you've been in an accident or been sick that usually doesn't have any sort of deadline! OP you should definitely fill in a form for both technical difficulties and covid just in case as well as enquiring about not having a capped resit as a result. And yes universities obviously wouldn't want to conspire against their students - they're what makes them look good!
Reply 13
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest