The Student Room Group

Being harassed/bullied at uni

Hey,

I’m being harassed by a group of people at university and I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this?

In short: I rejected a guy and I think this is his ‘revenge’. I think it’s really immature and weird to have to deal with this at uni.

I am being stalked and harassed by a group of people but it’s very underhanded and indirect. I was also spiked. They talk a lot of **** about me that’s obviously not true. I never did anything bad to them. I blocked/unfollowed a lot of them, avoid them at all costs if I see them irl, keep it very short but polite if I have to talk to them.

What happens if I report to university? What happens if i report to the police?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Report it to both.

However, be careful of how you handle any evidence; make sure you keep copies and records yourself, and that any witnesses are willing to support you. Remember, the police can investigate it as a criminal matter. Keep it factual; you don't know it's this guy, you only "think" and if untrue, accusations could cause him as much grief as you are experiencing.

In the meantime, don't ignore it, but don't respond. Do go out, but make sure you are with trusted friends.
Reply 2
How does rejecting a boy’s advance’s count as instigating a campaign of bullying and harassment?Please help me understand.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Stop going out.

Focus on uni.

Join some clubs and societies (meet different people).

If you just simply ignore the entire situation it will go away.

But it does seem like you've instigated a bit, taking it this is a lower ranked uni lol.

How has the OP instigated it in any way and why does it being a lower ranked uni even matter?? Personally I don’t think the OP is at any fault here
If any crime has been committed contact the police and report to the university.

This kind of behaviour does my head in, we're all supposed to be adults, yet some people lack basic maturities.

You'll have to make a statement to police and they'll do their investigations where appropriate. Honestly though, the University will probably take it a lot more seriously than the police as there's nothing too practical they can do, unless you make a direct evidenced accusation.

I want to caveat that you still absolutely should report a spiking to the police!!

University anti-bullying procedures are pretty robust and serious. Report it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
if you had been spiked surely you would have told the police or the university about it. Its a serious thing and could give you health problems
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Report it to both.

However, be careful of how you handle any evidence; make sure you keep copies and records yourself, and that any witnesses are willing to support you. Remember, the police can investigate it as a criminal matter. Keep it factual; you don't know it's this guy, you only "think" and if untrue, accusations could cause him as much grief as you are experiencing.

In the meantime, don't ignore it, but don't respond. Do go out, but make sure you are with trusted friends.

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it!
Reply 7
Original post by DeadMoo
How does rejecting a boy’s advance’s count as instigating a campaign of bullying and harassment?Please help me understand.

I’m not sure but it happened. I didn’t do anything to him. We had a ons and I broke it off.
I had this as well, I reported it but it actually got worse and nothing was done, I am thinking of quitting.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
How has the OP instigated it in any way and why does it being a lower ranked uni even matter?? Personally I don’t think the OP is at any fault here

I’m not sure what gives the impression that I instigated it. I’ve actually been “ignoring it” for a year and it hasn’t stopped. So I’m taking action now.
Also the course I go to is ranked number 1 in the country.
Original post by dbhc2411
If any crime has been committed contact the police and report to the university.

This kind of behaviour does my head in, we're all supposed to be adults, yet some people lack basic maturities.

You'll have to make a statement to police and they'll do their investigations where appropriate. Honestly though, the University will probably take it a lot more seriously than the police as there's nothing too practical they can do, unless you make a direct evidenced accusation.

I want to caveat that you still absolutely should report a spiking to the police!!

University anti-bullying procedures are pretty robust and serious. Report it.

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate your advice! And I agree. It’s so strange some people still act this way at university. I didn’t do anything about it because I didn’t realise how serious it was and thought it would go away eventually. Unfortunately it seems they have 0 self control, empathy or limits. I contacted my university and will talk to someone soon. I’ll see what they’ll say about reporting it to the police first I think.
Original post by Randooo
if you had been spiked surely you would have told the police or the university about it. Its a serious thing and could give you health problems

I didn’t report it at the time because I didn’t know who it was. And to what length these people would go. It did cause damage, I’ve been in therapy for it for a long time now.
Reply 12
Hey,

I’m being harassed by a group of people at university and I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this?

In short: I rejected a guy and I think this is his ‘revenge’. I think it’s really immature and weird to have to deal with this at uni.

I am being stalked and harassed by a group of people but it’s very underhanded and indirect. I was also spiked. They talk a lot of **** about me that’s obviously not true. I never did anything bad to them. I blocked/unfollowed a lot of them, avoid them at all costs if I see them irl, keep it very short but polite if I have to talk to them.

What happens if I report to university? What happens if i report to the police?

If youve been spiked thats very serious and should be taken to the police
I’m not sure what gives the impression that I instigated it. I’ve actually been “ignoring it” for a year and it hasn’t stopped. So I’m taking action now.
Also the course I go to is ranked number 1 in the country.

Exactly! I don’t think you’re any fault here at all!
I hope the harassment has stopped though and that you’re okay💕🥺 bullying sucks 😭 i can’t believe uni students still bully people at their big age though, it’s honestly just immature. They need to get a grip
I had this as well, I reported it but it actually got worse and nothing was done, I am thinking of quitting.

This is exactly what I’m worried about too… would you mind sharing what happened (as in how it got worse), did uni not do anything about it? Did they bully you in other cover ways? Were there any consequences for the bullies?
Reply 15
Spiking is a crime so should be reported.
Original post by ds.15s
If youve been spiked thats very serious and should be taken to the police

I’m just not sure if they will do anything about it as I’ve been told police normally don’t do anything about spiking… but will ask my uni what they say.
Reply 17
Should still report spiking though. It is a very serious crime.

Sorry you are being treated like this by a bunch of unpleasant idiots.
(edited 2 years ago)
I don't think the police are going to be able to do anything about you maybe being spiked a year ago.

As far as being bullied goes, if you have to interact with these people because they are on your course, talk to your tutor. If you don't have to interact with them, don't. If you are avoiding them and they still won't leave you alone, then again talk to your tutor - if it's at the level of stalking, contact the police.
Exactly! I don’t think you’re any fault here at all!
I hope the harassment has stopped though and that you’re okay💕🥺 bullying sucks 😭 i can’t believe uni students still bully people at their big age though, it’s honestly just immature. They need to get a grip

Thank you, that’s very kind of you💕 I’ve never been bullied before (or when I did it was direct so I could actually stand up for myself). There’s another person I know who they did this to and they flipped the whole situation on her. They tell everyone she’s mad when they’re the ones who made her act in such ways. Luckily I’ve been really good with keeping my emotions in check and haven’t really done anything they could use against me in this “HA i told you she’s like that look how she’s acting out” type of way if you get what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending