The Student Room Group

Primary Education Applicants 2022 - Scotland - Undergraduate

Hello,

My name is Rhiannon. I have started this thread for Scottish Primary Education Applicants for 2022.

This thread is to discuss universities you will be applying too, offers, interviews or anything you feel relevant to Primary Teaching.

I will start.

I left school in S6 with 'AABB' in Higher (History, Computing, Physical Education and Modern Studies).
I already have a HNC in Computing with a graded unit 'B'.
I returned to study achieved my Higher English with an 'A' and Applications of Mathematics National 5 'C'.

I am currently studying my HNC in Childhood Practice.
I have applied to the following universities: Glasgow, Strathclyde, West of Scotland and Stirling.

I understand, I do not have an 'B' for Maths. However, I hope my background, personal statement, experience and already having other numeracy related subjects such as Computing that I will receive an offer.

Teaching has always been a pursuit for myself.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I received a rejection from The university of West of Scotland. I am feeling a bit worried.

The reasoning was sufficient maths. I have a 'C' at National 5 Applications of Mathematics.
Original post by rhiifuu
I received a rejection from The university of West of Scotland. I am feeling a bit worried.

The reasoning was sufficient maths. I have a 'C' at National 5 Applications of Mathematics.

What was their entry requirement for maths? I'm not sure about how the Scottish system works, but I know that in the UK we have an Applied Maths qualification that is often not accepted as an equivalent.

If their website says that they do accept a C in Applications of Mathematics then it could be worth getting in touch just to double check - I have seen somebody on this forum once who received an auto-rejection for missing out on a GCSE grade which they did actually have, and they were reconsidered after contacting the university.
Reply 3
Original post by bluebeetle
What was their entry requirement for maths? I'm not sure about how the Scottish system works, but I know that in the UK we have an Applied Maths qualification that is often not accepted as an equivalent.

If their website says that they do accept a C in Applications of Mathematics then it could be worth getting in touch just to double check - I have seen somebody on this forum once who received an auto-rejection for missing out on a GCSE grade which they did actually have, and they were reconsidered after contacting the university.

National 5 Maths is the basic entry requirement for the majority of course in Scotland. I hold an Application of Mathematics National 5 'C' instead, which I achieved without a lecturer for the majority of the course and also, having not studied maths in years. However, I have demonstrated in other numeracy subjects such as Computing, which I "crashed" as a Higher and received an 'A' and, already holding a HNC in Computing with a graded unit 'B'. I thought this would be accounted for and, hopefully "help" my application because, both are higher levels of ability compared to the maths qualification.

And, the qualification I hold for maths, well, universities such as Glasgow, accept this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle

The university ask for National 5/Standard Grade/Intermediate two Maths probably with a graded 'B'.

I just have always struggled with maths and feel as if this qualification despite, holding much higher qualifications has always been the hinderance to me applying for university and this year I did.

I returned to Education, I got my 'A' for English and studied a Maths course which other universities accept. I am just worried because it is a 'C' However, I was studying online and, without a lecturer for the majority of the course.
Original post by rhiifuu
The university ask for National 5/Standard Grade/Intermediate two Maths probably with a graded 'B'.

I just have always struggled with maths and feel as if this qualification despite, holding much higher qualifications has always been the hinderance to me applying for university and this year I did.

I returned to Education, I got my 'A' for English and studied a Maths course which other universities accept. I am just worried because it is a 'C' However, I was studying online and, without a lecturer for the majority of the course.

Like I said before, I mainly know about the English system, so it may be slightly different in Scotland, however I know that over here there isn't really any leeway allowed in the English and Maths requirements because they are set by the government. See what the other unis say - as it may be that this one university is just particularly strict with the maths requirement - and if you receive further rejections, it may be worth looking up what the statutory requirements are in Scotland so you can ensure you meet these.
Reply 6
Original post by rhiifuu

Have you heard back from anywhere else other than UWS?
Reply 7
Original post by sk2002_
Have you heard back from anywhere else other than UWS?

I heard back from Strathclyde. I received a rejection for Primary Education. I got knocked back due to limited places and, low level of Maths. However, I haven't heard back from my application for Education and English studies.
Reply 8
Original post by b.petkov
Hi,i was originally rejected from strathclyde for primary education for lack of maths however as i did attain a nat 5 maths applications B and a nat 5 C in maths i emailed them and they agreed to reconsider my application good luck with everything! x

Well done. I wish you all the best.

I have just emailed them asking them to reconsider my entire qualification skillset because I demonstrate a high level of numeracy ability with a crash Higher 'A' in Computing and a 'B' in my HNC for Computing.

I obtained an 'C' for Applications of Mathematics. However, I had no lecturer for the majority of my course towards the end and had to learn Maths online due to Covid 19.

I had taught myself the entire Maths course and if my two best papers had been put forward for the two papers I had sat, I would had obtained an 'B'. I just did not want to chase up the college because I was happy with my Higher English 'A' and Applications of Mathematics 'C'.
Reply 9
Hiya, Did they ever get back to you on if they would reconsider your application?Also have you heard back from any other uni’s? Currently still waiting on mine.
Reply 10
I believe that your lack of maths will prevent you from meeting the requirements for most universities, unfortunately. There is however a loophole that may allow you to achieve the same outcome, but will take several more years. If you are as passionate for teaching as you say you are though, I'm sure this won't be a problem. What I would recommend is, after this year, find a job in a nursery and work for 2 years (you may need to double check that it's still 2 years, and maybe longer would be preferred if you are looking at competitive universities). With this experience you will be able to apply for universities for a BA in Childhood Studies (or something similar), which will then allow you to do a PDGE in Primary Education.
Has anyone heard anything back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending