The Student Room Group

AS Level Further Maths Question

Could anyone help with this question? Any help would be very appreciated :smile:

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 16.19.30.png
Reply 1
Original post by cloudii
Could anyone help with this question? Any help would be very appreciated :smile:

From part b) you want to somehow square the equation (in u) to get a cubic as the expression is roughly the ~linear coefficient term. Any ideas how to get the cubic?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
It’s roots of a cubic equation, so if the roots were alpha beta and gamma the coefficients for ax^3 bx^2 e are -b/a = alpha beta gamma , c/a = alpha beta beta gamma gamma alpha. Bc you get roots of alpha beta and gamma using root u, you can square those to compare it w the c coefficient for the value
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
From part b) you want to somehow square the equation (in u) to get a cubic as the expression is roughly the ~linear coefficient term. Any ideas how to get the cubic?

No, I'm not sure on how the get the cubic. I originally tried to substitute in root u for x but realised that that wouldn't work so I got stuck.
Reply 4
Original post by cloudii
No, I'm not sure on how the get the cubic. I originally tried to substitute in root u for x but realised that that wouldn't work so I got stuck.

Do the substitution. Why do you think it doesnt work / is there a slightly different way to square up the polynomial in u to get a cubic?
Original post by cloudii

I assume the I) is simple
So ii)Try to expand(Alphabeta+alphagamma+betagamma)^2
You should get the required term.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Do the substitution. Why do you think it doesnt work / is there a slightly different way to square up the polynomial in u to get a cubI

I'm not sure but could you eventually say, after substituting root u and rearranging, that u^3 = (-5u-7)^2 and then expand to get that the equation is 0 = u^3 - 25u^2 - 70u - 49? Or is that not the right way to do it?
Reply 7
Original post by cloudii
I'm not sure but could you eventually say, after substituting root u and rearranging, that u^3 = (-5u-7)^2 and then expand to get that the equation is 0 = u^3 - 25u^2 - 70u - 49? Or is that not the right way to do it?

Correct, so part ii) is simply the linear coeff.

Quick Reply

Latest