The Student Room Group

studying abroad - medicine

Hello, hope whoever’s reading this is well!
I’m currently in year 12 and have been considering my options after I sit my a levels (I’m very indecisive lol so I thought if I try finding stuff out now rather than in y13 I have more time to pick what’s best for me etc). I’m currently studying bio, chem and Spanish.
I’m thinking about applying for medicine but I’m not sure, because at the same time I would love to do something where I can learn Spanish fluently - (even though my grades in Spanish aren’t the best atm 😬 - hopefully I improve 😭).
I’ve been trying to find info about studying medicine abroad for one year, but I can’t find any links etc. and the ones I’ve come across don’t really explain much. I’ve seen a couple people online who’ve studied / are studying abroad for six months to a year, but they’ve not really clarified how they’ve applied etc or which unis they attend.
I was wondering if anyone has any info / website links / or their own experiences that they can share to help me understand the whole application process, which unis offer it, and basically anything that might be useful. Also is it even possible to study abroad whilst doing medicine, or is the whole thing limited to certain courses?
Thanks so much for any help or advice!!
P.S. I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn’t entirely sure where to place it

Scroll to see replies

There are no year abroads available for medicine afaik.
Original post by hungrysalamander

QMUL malta
Original post by CatInTheCorner
QMUL malta

Enlighten me

oh no 😭 okay thanks so much for letting me know and thank you for your reply!!
QMUL malta

thanks so much for this, I’m going to try finding info about it! If you have any links etc pls lmk! Thank you!
Original post by #anonymous_user
thanks so much for this, I’m going to try finding info about it! If you have any links etc pls lmk! Thank you!

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2022/medicine-malta-5-year-programme/

Just realised you wanted only 1 year! Sorry! this is all abroad, sorry @hungrysalamander
There are also some final year electives in some unis that you can go abroad for
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2022/medicine-malta-5-year-programme/

Just realised you wanted only 1 year! Sorry! this is all abroad, sorry @hungrysalamander
There are also some final year electives in some unis that you can go abroad for

No worries! Besides, I don't think they speak Spanish in Malta. It depends on what the situation with covid will be like in 5 years tbh, most electives have been cancelled due to the pandemic.
I’m currently in year 12 and have been considering my options after I sit my a levels (I’m very indecisive lol so I thought if I try finding stuff out now rather than in y13 I have more time to pick what’s best for me etc). I’m currently studying bio, chem and Spanish.
I’m thinking about applying for medicine but I’m not sure, because at the same time I would love to do something where I can learn Spanish fluently - (even though my grades in Spanish aren’t the best atm 😬 - hopefully I improve 😭).
I’ve been trying to find info about studying medicine abroad for one year, but I can’t find any links etc. and the ones I’ve come across don’t really explain much. I’ve seen a couple people online who’ve studied / are studying abroad for six months to a year, but they’ve not really clarified how they’ve applied etc or which unis they attend.
I was wondering if anyone has any info / website links / or their own experiences that they can share to help me understand the whole application process, which unis offer it, and basically anything that might be useful. Also is it even possible to study abroad whilst doing medicine, or is the whole thing limited to certain courses?
P.S. I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn’t entirely sure where to place it

Most want maths for ur third subject to get into medicine... Very few get lucky and manage it with psychology...but every year the competition becomes harder... So maths is the way to go.
Original post by lamia_bts
Most want maths for ur third subject to get into medicine... Very few get lucky and manage it with psychology...but every year the competition becomes harder... So maths is the way to go.

Nope, only cambridge wants it, OP please refer to medicine threads! can help

That's false. The only medical school that requires 3 sciences is Cambridge. The 3rd subject does not matter as long as you have biology and chemistry.

Thanks so much, honestly!! Just wondering if you know, but does studying medicine the whole five years abroad make the qualification “less valued” or something when trying to find a UK based job than if you were to study the whole thing in UK?
I have no idea if this made sense but idk how else to phrase it
Nope, only cambridge wants it, OP please refer to medicine threads! @ecolier can help

Only cambridge..? I'm so sure that the top unis all wanted maths...

What are you on about? Rankings/prestige does not matter for medicine as they are all regulated to a strict standard by the GMC, and the NHS will not care about the medical school you attended.

Nope, most want bio+chem + other
What are you on about? Rankings/prestige does not matter for medicine as they are all regulated to a strict standard by the GMC, and the NHS will not care about the medical school you attended.

Nope, most want bio+chem + other

Wow... My life has been a lie...

I know this is likely not what you are looking for, but I know that the university of Milan (public) has a relatively highly ranked medicine course entirely in English (https://www.unimi.it/en/education/international-medical-school-ims) as well as Humanitas university (private) (https://www.hunimed.eu/course/medicine/)

This is inaccurate info. Maths can help with Bio and Chem A levels but Maths being your 3rd subject isn't needed nor favoured.

@hungrysalamander and @CatInTheCorner are right.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TriplexA
This is inaccurate info. Maths can help with Bio and Chem A levels but Maths being your 3rd subject isn't needed nor favoured.

@hungrysalamander and @CatInTheCorner are right.

I'm actually pretty shook by this new piece of info. 😔😔
Every teacher tells me Dat u need maths for medicine EVERY person ik Dat aims for med all go for bio, Chem, maths..
Bcs maths apparently... Makes u stand out...
Do medical skools care wat u do in ur alevel?
Wow... My life has been a lie...

Would you like to hear about how Cambridge doesn't look at GCSE's much beyond their minimum requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending