The Student Room Group

chemistry olympiad 2021/2022

guys, I have my chemistry olympiad test in 9 days cz I just signed up last minute if you've done it in 2021 what advice would you give me considering I have 9 days and if you're going to do it this year what are you guys doing to revise? Also, is it REALLY hard or kinda hard? and how many parts are there to it I'm kinda confused about the layout thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boba_drinker
guys, I have my chemistry olympiad test in 9 days cz I just signed up last minute if you've done it in 2021 what advice would you give me considering I have 9 days and if you're going to do it this year what are you guys doing to revise? Also, is it REALLY hard or kinda hard? and how many parts are there to it I'm kinda confused about the layout thanks guys :smile:

Hi! It's really just guesswork and applying random bits of knowledge you didn't you had, can't really revise, it doesn't count for anything and is quite hard, so don't stress :smile: unless you're applying for chemistry don't worry

Hi, the advice I was given by those who achieved the highest scores was to have a go at some of the freely available past papers and revise A level chemistry knowledge. Also, it is tough- the vast majority don't score over 50%, so don't take it super seriously if you only have nine days left :smile:
Original post by coolchem
Hi, the advice I was given by those who achieved the highest scores was to have a go at some of the freely available past papers and revise A level chemistry knowledge. Also, it is tough- the vast majority don't score over 50%, so don't take it super seriously if you only have nine days left :smile:

thanks, how did you do? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
thanks, how did you do? :smile:

When I sat the challenge in year 12, I got a high bronze so didn't do too bad. Still, I achieved about 20-25% and that was the highest score in my school, which goes to show the paper is quite tough (and my school is terrible at chemistry :s-smilie:). It was good preparation for the C3L6 where I managed a gold, so if you're in year 12, it might be worth entering this competition too since the style of papers are similar. One thing I noticed was that often they introduce big topics within the paper itself (e.g. HNMR spectroscopy) and base several questions around that. If you have time, it would be a good idea to cover these topics. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by coolchem
When I sat the challenge in year 12, I got a high bronze so didn't do too bad. Still, I achieved about 20-25% and that was the highest score in my school, which goes to show the paper is quite tough (and my school is terrible at chemistry :s-smilie:). It was good preparation for the C3L6 where I managed a gold, so if you're in year 12, it might be worth entering this competition too since the style of papers are similar. One thing I noticed was that often they introduce big topics within the paper itself (e.g. HNMR spectroscopy) and base several questions around that. If you have time, it would be a good idea to cover these topics. :smile:

hi! i was wondering if you could give me a list of those 'big topics'? I'm in year 12 and i do it in literally 3 days and i know nothing outside of what I've done as part of school content. i'd really appreciate it if ya'll could give me like a list of topics i should absolutely understand yk? thank you!!!!!
Original post by braindeadpog
hi! i was wondering if you could give me a list of those 'big topics'? I'm in year 12 and i do it in literally 3 days and i know nothing outside of what I've done as part of school content. i'd really appreciate it if ya'll could give me like a list of topics i should absolutely understand yk? thank you!!!!!

Hi. You could have a look at year 2 content, most notably the organic synthesis section and maybe H NMR and C NMR if you have time. I think the topic list would be everything in AS and A2.
Reply 7
How did everyone find the paper
Reply 8
Original post by Suiss672
How did everyone find the paper

Awful ngl
Reply 9
Original post by Unawaree
Awful ngl

Ye I thought the paper looked harder than last year
Reply 10
i did it on thursday and wth was the chinese knot multiple choice question lmaooooo how was that chemistry??
rather enjoyed writing the equations at the start though ahah.
Original post by kcsjeo
i did it on thursday and wth was the chinese knot multiple choice question lmaooooo how was that chemistry??
rather enjoyed writing the equations at the start though ahah.

The Chinese knot question was literally the only one i enjoyed because it was multiple choice and just involved drawing it out 😂. The equations at the start were kinda nice ngl, especially the glucose one because I remembered it from bio.
I did it on Thursday, and it was so bad, for half of it I was just like, what am I doing here, why am I doing this? Ah well, it is what it is.
Original post by Izzy_cat30
I did it on Thursday, and it was so bad, for half of it I was just like, what am I doing here, why am I doing this? Ah well, it is what it is.

Honestly this years one was an actual nightmare. Are you year 12 or 13?
I'm year 13, but even so, I don't think it made much of a difference
anyone remember any answers - especially chinese knot
Original post by tai_lung95
anyone remember any answers - especially chinese knot

U have sat the paper right?
Original post by Suiss672
U have sat the paper right?

yes, today, got confused with it. Remember any answers?
did anyone know the number of peaks in cubane dicarboxylic acid
What do yous reckon boundaries will be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending