The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni after 1st year

Hi everyone,

I am currently at my second semester in my 1st year of University and I have decided to pursue another course and drop out of my current university before my 2nd year.
So overall, I want to complete my first year before dropping out to avoid extra payments to student finance (overpaid).

Can I ask when would be the best time to inform the University and Student finance about my withdrawal? Should it be 2 months or a month before my 1st year ends?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I am currently at my second semester in my 1st year of University and I have decided to pursue another course and drop out of my current university before my 2nd year.
So overall, I want to complete my first year before dropping out to avoid extra payments to student finance (overpaid).

Can I ask when would be the best time to inform the University and Student finance about my withdrawal? Should it be 2 months or a month before my 1st year ends?

Hi, are you withdrawing or transferring?

Will you be completing the first year?

If you complete the first the first year then only the first year funding will be paid and there won't be any overpayment.

If you withdraw, we require confirmation from the university with the exact date you withdrew and if the university states that day was before the end of the academic year, then you will be sent a letter stating you have been overpaid. Any overpayment will be taken from your future funding.

If you don't withdraw and you complete the full year and transfer to another course, then we don't need to know about this and you can just apply as normal as a returning student for the new course.

I'd advise you to speak to your university for clarification.

Please check out this leaflet http://ow.ly/d/8pcX

Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac

If you complete the first the first year then only the first year funding will be paid and there won't be any overpayment.

If you withdraw, we require confirmation from the university with the exact date you withdrew and if the university states that day was before the end of the academic year, then you will be sent a letter stating you have been overpaid. Any overpayment will be taken from your future funding.

If you don't withdraw and you complete the full year and transfer to another course, then we don't need to know about this and you can just apply as normal as a returning student for the new course.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi issac
I was wondering if u could help me
My dad is planning on buying a house on a joint mortgage with me
I'm on a gap year and will go uni hopefully this September
My question is does having a mortgage effect student fiannce
Also I'm working during my gap year does my income have any effect on my future student finance
I will be studying mediicne hopefully.
Original post by tecna
Hi issac
I was wondering if u could help me
My dad is planning on buying a house on a joint mortgage with me
I'm on a gap year and will go uni hopefully this September
My question is does having a mortgage effect student fiannce
Also I'm working during my gap year does my income have any effect on my future student finance
I will be studying mediicne hopefully.

Hi, if you are making money from that house (such as renting it out) then we'd need to know and this could affect your finance.

If you are not making money then it's fine and you having the mortgage won't affect your entitlement.

However if you are living with your dad then you'd only be entitled to the living with parents rate of funding, if you are paying the full mortgage and all bills then you will be classed as living away from your parents home.

You can work and earn as much as you want from your job, it won't affect your student finance entitlement as long as your employer will not be paying you to attend university(releasing you to study)

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I am considering to withdraw and leave my current university after I have completed my first year. I will not be transferring courses in the same university because I would like to re-apply for another university in 2022 or 2023 with a different course.

Will this be considered as overpaid or not?

Will this be considered as overpaid or not?

If the university tell us you withdrew before the end of the academic year, then yes.

I'd advise you to speak with the university to see what date they will send to us.

Thanks, Isaac
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
If the university tell us you withdrew before the end of the academic year, then yes.

I'd advise you to speak with the university to see what date they will send to us.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi,

You wrote and I quote "withdrew before the end of the academic year. Then yes." Does this mean that if I withdrew on 1st of June (end of academic year) my entitlement letter will not be considered as 'overpaid?'

Many thanks!
Hi,

You wrote and I quote "withdrew before the end of the academic year. Then yes." Does this mean that if I withdrew on 1st of June (end of academic year) my entitlement letter will not be considered as 'overpaid?'

Many thanks!

No, we provide funding to cover over the summer months(but not in the final year of the course), the end of the academic year is the end of August if your course started between Sept-Dec.

So if they tell us you withdrew on the 01/06/2021 - you would have a little overpayment from the 1st June to the end of the August.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 9
No, we provide funding to cover over the summer months(but not in the final year of the course), the end of the academic year is the end of August if your course started between Sept-Dec.

So if they tell us you withdrew on the 01/06/2021 - you would have a little overpayment from the 1st June to the end of the August.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi,

I see.

Just to clarify, so if I decided to leave University prior (around August) the start of my 2nd year, my entitlement letter will not be considered as overpaid?

Thank you!
Hi,

I see.

Just to clarify, so if I decided to leave University prior (around August) the start of my 2nd year, my entitlement letter will not be considered as overpaid?

Thank you!

If you leave before the end of the academic year and the university state you left before 31/08/2022 for example, then you would have an overpayment.

If the university tell us you left on the 31/08/2022 and write a message in the task they send us to say you did complete the year, then you shouldn't have any overpayment.

It all depends on the information the university sends over to us.

Thanks, Isaac
If you leave before the end of the academic year and the university state you left before 31/08/2022 for example, then you would have an overpayment.

If the university tell us you left on the 31/08/2022 and write a message in the task they send us to say you did complete the year, then you shouldn't have any overpayment.

It all depends on the information the university sends over to us.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your help Isaac!
Hi, if you are making money from that house (such as renting it out) then we'd need to know and this could affect your finance.

If you are not making money then it's fine and you having the mortgage won't affect your entitlement.

However if you are living with your dad then you'd only be entitled to the living with parents rate of funding, if you are paying the full mortgage and all bills then you will be classed as living away from your parents home.

You can work and earn as much as you want from your job, it won't affect your student finance entitlement as long as your employer will not be paying you to attend university(releasing you to study)

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for the reply
I didnt understand the following, please could u expand on it
if you are paying the full mortgage and all bills then you will be classed as living away from your parents home.
I plan on moving out at uni
I wont be paying anything off, my dad will take care of tht he jus needs my name on the mortgage
Thank you for your help Isaac!

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by tecna
Thanks for the reply
I didnt understand the following, please could u expand on it
if you are paying the full mortgage and all bills then you will be classed as living away from your parents home.
I plan on moving out at uni
I wont be paying anything off, my dad will take care of tht he jus needs my name on the mortgage

If you are not living there at all and your name is just on the mortgage - you will be classed as living away from home and will be assessed for the higher rate of loan.

What I meant was, if you were living in your own home with your dad then you would be classed as living with parents unless you are the one paying the mortgage/bills - but as you are moving out of the house then you are going to be classed as living away from home regardless.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending