The Student Room Group

Elat results (taken in 2021)

i got 27/60 for my elat. :frown:
does anyone know how much the elat counts towards the final decision? i thought my interviews went really well too, so now im feeling quite confused. feeling really gutted

Scroll to see replies

I got 58/60 last year and got rejected, but I know of someone who got like 38 and got in. It's not absolutely everything.
Reply 2
Original post by ashtolga23
I got 58/60 last year and got rejected, but I know of someone who got like 38 and got in. It's not absolutely everything.

wow, really? im so sorry to hear that :frown: but thank you for letting me know. it really is so spontaneous
how did your interviews for english go?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jas03
wow, really? im so sorry to hear that :frown: but thank you for letting me know. it really is so spontaneous
how did your interviews for english go?

Honestly I don't really care it's okay lol. I liked the teaching style at Cambridge but the course wasn't to my tastes anyway and so it's much better that somebody else got that place rather than me. Oxbridge seriously just isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

I only had one interview which I felt may have put me at a disadvantage. There were some nice highlights but it wasn't amazing. In the feedback I found out I got 5/10.
Reply 4
Honestly I don't really care it's okay lol. I liked the teaching style at Cambridge but the course wasn't to my tastes anyway and so it's much better that somebody else got that place rather than me. Oxbridge seriously just isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

I only had one interview which I felt may have put me at a disadvantage. There were some nice highlights but it wasn't amazing. In the feedback I found out I got 5/10.

ah i see. how did you request for feedback for your interview btw?
Original post by jas03
ah i see. how did you request for feedback for your interview btw?

Email :smile:

That’s crazy - do you mind telling me what college rejected you ? I can’t imagine how much of a surprise it must have been to then be rejected after seeing your score of 58/60…. just awful - I’d also be asking myself what the point in them even setting the ELAT as a pre-assessment test is if they then just disregard such an impressive score.
Original post by sophiemadfish
That’s crazy - do you mind telling me what college rejected you ? I can’t imagine how much of a surprise it must have been to then be rejected after seeing your score of 58/60…. just awful - I’d also be asking myself what the point in them even setting the ELAT as a pre-assessment test is if they then just disregard such an impressive score.

I know the fact that somebody could be rejected after doing so well in the test is so confusing?

Aw it's okay, it was maybe a shock at the time but I didn't have my heart fully set on it. I thought the course may not be my preference, it was mainly the teaching style I liked the idea of.

It was Queens', Cambridge. Funnily enough I remember my uncle saying the exact same thing as you.
Aw it's okay, it was maybe a shock at the time but I didn't have my heart fully set on it. I thought the course may not be my preference, it was mainly the teaching style I liked the idea of.

It was Queens', Cambridge. Funnily enough I remember my uncle saying the exact same thing as you.

Honestly I think it’s crazy that a 58/60 wasn’t enough to secure a place, especially as it’s one of the only components of a Q300 application that candidates have definitely done on their own ie someone else could have written their personal statement, their predicted grades could be inflated, their reference inflated, they could have had help with submitted writing etc but the ELAT, although they could have had coaching on it etc, when all said and done the candidate still has to do it on their own, in exam conditions. What college did you apply to this year ? I’m optomistic you’ll gain a (belated and deserved) place this year.
I know someone who got 60/60. Rejected from ox this year
Original post by IloveGeo

That’s just crazy - on the Oxford ELAT results chart there was literally just one person that scored 60/60 so it must have been them (not one person this year on the Cambridge chart scored 60/60). Yet at least one person I know of got accepted to Oxford with 38…. and another I know of with 39 and another with 40…. I’d be utterly fuming if I had scored 60/60 and been rejected ..:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by IloveGeo

I remember there was a really lovely poster last year called Catsandkets and she got rejected from Oxford with 59/60 and I was shocked at that.
I remember there was a really lovely poster last year called Catsandkets and she got rejected from Oxford with 59/60 and I was shocked at that.

That’s just crazy - on the Oxford ELAT results chart there was literally just one person that scored 60/60 so it must have been them (not one person this year on the Cambridge chart scored 60/60). Yet at least one person I know of got accepted to Oxford with 38…. and another I know of with 39 and another with 40…. I’d be utterly fuming if I had scored 60/60 and been rejected ..:

It's like why even bother making us do a test in the first place!!!
Honestly I think it’s crazy that a 58/60 wasn’t enough to secure a place, especially as it’s one of the only components of a Q300 application that candidates have definitely done on their own ie someone else could have written their personal statement, their predicted grades could be inflated, their reference inflated, they could have had help with submitted writing etc but the ELAT, although they could have had coaching on it etc, when all said and done the candidate still has to do it on their own, in exam conditions. What college did you apply to this year ? I’m optomistic you’ll gain a (belated and deserved) place this year.

Yeah it was a weird one but their call haha. Maybe the interviewers just saw I wasn't as passionate as some of the other people which would honestly be a fair assumption I'd say.

Really sorry if I gave the wrong impression! I actually haven't reapplied. Thank you so much though that's so so sweet x
I’m sorry I just assumed you had re-applied! You clearly absolutely aced the entrance ‘test’ even if your particular college didn’t give you credit for it. Did you go to uni or have you taken a gap year and plan to go somewhere this September ? what uni’s did you choose?
Yeah it was a weird one but their call haha. Maybe the interviewers just saw I wasn't as passionate as some of the other people which would honestly be a fair assumption I'd say.

Really sorry if I gave the wrong impression! I actually haven't reapplied. Thank you so much though that's so so sweet x
I’m sorry I just assumed you had re-applied! You clearly absolutely aced the entrance ‘test’ even if your particular college didn’t give you credit for it. Did you go to uni or have you taken a gap year and plan to go somewhere this September ? what uni’s did you choose?

Oh thank you that's really lovely.

Haha it's a long story lol. I went to Durham but a lot of it was online and I just wasn't finding it engaging so I dropped out and I'm mainly thinking of apprenticeships now. It was a lot of money to have someone read slides on a screen lol. My other options when I applied were Lancaster, Manchester (where I'm from) and Nottingham.

What are your plans right now sorry I didn't see them?

Haha it's a long story lol. I went to Durham but a lot of it was online and I just wasn't finding it engaging so I dropped out and I'm mainly thinking of apprenticeships now. It was a lot of money to have someone read slides on a screen lol. My other options when I applied were Lancaster, Manchester (where I'm from) and Nottingham.

I’ve applied to Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, York and Exeter - I’ve got an unconditional offer from York (as I’m a gap with with achieved results). If I don’t get Cambridge I’m hoping for St Andrews and after that it’s a toss up between Durham and York. I’ve never been to Durham but I’ve visited York lots of times since a child and absolutely love it as a City.
You should definitely do some ELAT tutoring online ! I know I’d have loved to have had some tutoring from someone that had achieved 58/60 the previous year!
Original post by SupposedlyIronic

You should definitely do some ELAT tutoring online ! I know I’d have loved to have had some tutoring from someone that had achieved 58/60 the previous year!

You're too kind honestly. I did think about tutoring English but I'm more comfortable with advising for things like psychology. English just feels so subjective y'know? Like I can give tips on people's work on how to make it flow better and stuff but that's all really haha, just little edits and tips.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending